Losing my Buffy viriginity (maybe)

So after watching and falling in love with “Firefly” I decided to check out Buffy the Vampire Slayer and borrowed seasons one and two from a friend. Now, I have never been a big fan of either high school dramas nor vampires, so the show has two strikes against it as far as I’m concenred right off the bat. But, “Firefly” gives Whedon one HUGE pass from me so I popped in disc one of season one into the DVD player last night and…

…YIKES!

Now, Michaela/Cackleberry warned me that the buzz around Buffy isn’t really merited till the middle of season two, so I’m more or less expecting to just sort of suffer through a season and a half till it gets good (do I have to? Can I just skip without missing anything?), but I never thought it would be THIS bad. Holy cow! How did this thing ever get picked up for a full run, let alone seven seasons, based on this (two part) pilot? Did they go just on Sarah Michelle Gellar’s and Alyson Hannigan’s performances and trust that the chemistry and charm these two lead actresses exhibit would translate into better things down the line? Cause other than those two (and maybe the very young, very briefly appearing David Boreneaz, who hints at good things to come) I can’t find a single redeeming feature in these two episodes.

Also, does the makeup on the vampires ever get any better? It’s so ugly! And I know it’s supposed to be ugly, but it’s like, ugly ugly. You know?

Anyway, help this noob out, please! Should I stick with season one or just skip to the good parts in season two? Does it get better? Do the characters come at least close to “Firefly” levels of empathy and complexity? I don’t want to think of Mr. Whedon as a one hit (sort of ) wonder here, particularly a week before “Dollhouse” premieres.

Thanks. (And sorry if it seems like I’m hating on Buffy. I’m just perplexed.)

I quite liked season one. Lost interest season three-ish. YMMV.

As an Official Card Carrying Whedon Whore:
Armando, season one is a bit slow to grab onto for some, we’ve heard that for some time from many. I jumped in watching on TV around S3, and backtracked. Since you have S1 now, skip around it, I’d suggest these S1 episodes: (going by memory now, trying to pick a few standouts)

1. Angel
  2. The Puppet Show
  3. Prophecy Girl

The thing is, these characters get so damn good as time goes on, the ensemble cast really forms itself into something outstanding, and the writing, although there are a few missteps here and there, gets better and better. I was easily as into Buffy while it aired as I am into BSG now, even without an awesome podcast to go along with it. Try skipping through the last few of S1, and grab S2 and give it a look. Hey, perhaps you’re just not going to be a fan. But give it a shot. This series was so chock-full of great writing, (if you like Joss Whedon and his ilk), and great cast interactions, I’d hate to see you give up too soon.

I’m a Buffy virgin too, so maybe we can lose our virginity together.
Nooo…I didn’t mean THAT way.:eek: Sheesh. Get your mind out of the gutter.:smiley:

I’m worred about FrakkinTalos however, he went from Buffy virgin to Buffy whore at like Warp factor 7.
I think he’s gonna catch somethin’.

I so agree, the pilot is like most pilots and is a little rough around the edges. Buffy gets a lot of good traction in season 2, and 3 has to be my favorite. I would also recommend from Season 1 # 6 “The Pack” this is where the ensemble starts to see some character development.

Give it a shot…you won’t be disappointed
(also an Official Card Carrying Whedon Whore (hmmm I should add that to my signature))

(I’m not touching the first remark with a ten foot pole. IYKWIM. Wait…I didn’t mean to go there…NOOOOOOO!!!)

You know, judging from how Sarah Michelle Gellar looked back then (cause she’s so ugly now, right?), I can’t say I blame him. She’s one gorgeous woman (so’s Alyson Hannigan, who’s more my type anyway). So far those two carry the show. The kid who plays Xander: where did they find him? And he was on the show for the ENTIRE run? Really?

Anyway, not sure if I’ll be going down the Talos route here. Like I said, I’m not much into vampires OR high school. “Firefly” was more up my alley. I really shouldn’t judge a show based on its first two episodes though. How many classic shows would never have made it past their pilots today? (Seinfeld. Have you SEEN that Pilot? And don’t get me started on season one of The Simpsons. Yuck!) And then there are shows that have GREAT pilots: Arrested Development; BSG (although I think “33” is better than the miniseries pilot); “Firefly.” Funny, though, that two out of those three shows are considered huge flops. Oh well! What’s “According to Jim’s” pilot like? How does “Buffy” compare to “2 1/2 Men?” :wink:

it gets better towards to the end . try Angel its the spin-off of buffy. little darker but David Boreanaz is a good in it.:slight_smile:

Listen - just give it a chance. I promise it gets better - though I actually like season 1.

Well it isn’t for everyone, but it took me until to season 2 to become the hopelessly devoted Whedon whore I am today. just remember the effects are more than a few years old. Now I love this show its by far the show I related to as i grew up. so that colours my opinion. As they went through high school so was I. I would love to write a whole long post on why Buffy was just about a perfect analogy for growing up. If you watch it through to the end of season 2 and still don’t like it, well maybe its not your cup of tea.

but its a damn fine cup of tea.

Exact same thing with me and “Saved By the Bell”. I am so totally with you there on the whole analogy for growing up and all…

Xander, IMO, really becomes the heart and soul of the group throughout the series. In the early episodes, though, yeah, he’s kind of goofy.

I really shouldn’t judge a show based on its first two episodes though.

You’ve only watched the pilot? It can be safely ignored. Trust me, it gets MUCH better. It’s always amazed me that people don’t like the first season, but it’s definitely worth it to just slog right through it. :slight_smile:

True. The Pilot isn’t always a winner. And 1st episodes aren’t always so great.
The 1st Star Trek TNG, though I was all exicited for it, was pretty lacking when you look back at it.
Anyway, I litteraly haven’t even seen the 1st ep of Buffy so I need to reserve judgement. Maybe the hot looking women in it will keep me hooked.

I think I had too different an experience of growing up…(actually, I really do think that may be part of my problem with relating to high school set shows and movies. About the only such movies I like are “Better Off Dead” and “Sixteen Candles,” and that’s mostly because of their very dark, sarcastic sensibilities).

That’s pretty much what’s keeping me going right now. I’ll keep slogging through it till season 2.

the kool aid is grape flavored and awesome…

We all know your lying… Thot full guy is indeed Joss Whedon :wink:

We’ve done that “Thotfullguy is Joss Whedon” bit about three times on the Forum, and I try to play along.
But, having never watched Buffy or Angel, this emperor soon has no clothes.:smiley:

buffy is the brawn,giles is the brains,xander is the heart and willow is the soul. in the 4th season closer all four of them fall asleep in buffy’s living room and have interlocking dreams.

Then Buffy is definitely going to be something you’ll love: Being attacked by monsters as a metaphor for going to high school, parents who truly don’t understand what you’re going through, parents who push success too hard, teachers who are literally out to get you, the dangers of dating, being with the “cool” kids at the expense of your old friends, young girls dating much older men, the perils of the internet, the horrible embarassment of high school talent shows, child abuse, people who are marginalized, dying too young…

And that’s just in the first season. :stuck_out_tongue:

I heart the show. I meant to participate in Boomer’s rewatch, but I’m only now catching up, at the tail end of season two. It’s still pretty creaky, but it’s hitting its stride. It all pays off, though. Once you hit Season Three, it’s the land of milk and honey, and you’ll be glad you stuck it out.

A Joss Whedon shaped emperor with no clothes…

Its not a bit or a fad I decided to randomly give GWC’s Celebrity Identities cause I was stir crazy one night.

Thot = Joss whedon for now and forever

maybe that’s just, nuts but one day i’ll share who I think the other GWR’s are celebrity wise