Live GWC Podcast: Fri. Jan. 16 @ 10:30 p.m. CT (BSG Premiere!)

Ready for the return of BSG? So are we, of course! The celebration will be in full swing following the 10/9C premiere on Friday, January 16th, and we’ll be kicking off the festivities with a live GWC podcast via TalkShoe starting thirty minutes after the episode airs.

Specifics:

Friday, January 16, 2009 @ 10:30 p.m. CT (Other Time Zones)
Via TalkShoe (Direct TalkShoe Link)
TalkShoe Phone #: 724-444-7444
Call ID: 17428

How To Participate

Update: Some people have been having problems with TalkShoe Pro this week. If for any reason you’re unable to connect, try the simpler non-pro system before giving up!

If you just want to listen, simply click the direct TalkShoe link above and you can listen in real time via your computer. You can also call TalkShoe’s number above, enter the call ID when requested, and listen to the call on your cell phone or land line.

If you’d like to participate, you’ll need to set up a free TalkShoe account. Just navigate to TalkShoe.com and click the “Sign-Up” link, then follow their instructions. After you have your account set up, you’ll have two options for joining the call:

1. You can connect via TalkShoe Pro using your computer.

To use TalkShoe Pro, you’ll need to download the software from TalkShoe and install it on your computer. If you’re planning to connect via the computer – a great option if you’re in a country other than the US or don’t have a decent long-distance calling plan – please consider the following:

[ul]
[li]You’ll need to use a headphone/mic set. The built-in microphone on your computer will pick up echo of the GWC crew coming out your computer speakers making your call sound very bad. Headphone mics are cheap and easy to find online and in stores. A good one can be had for around $50, but a you can find perfectly fine models as cheap as $15.[/li][li]Be sure to test your rig before January 16th. You don’t want to be fiddling around with your audio on the night of the podcast. EmilyFromOhio runs a great call every Saturday at around noon CT which provides a good opportunity for your to test your equipment – and hang with some cool people as well![/li][/ul]
2. You can connect via TalkShoe Pro for text chat and call in for audio.

This is probably the easiest way to participate. Simply call the number and enter the information as given to you by TalkShoe when you set up your account. TalkShoe will recognize your phone audio and match it up with your logged-in user in TalkShoe Pro. You’ll be able to chat during the 'cast, hear the call via your cell phone, and chat with the crew via your cell phone.

1. You can just call in.

If you call in, you’ll be listed as “Guest 12” or somesuch in the text chat, but you’ll be able to participate fully in the audio section of the call.

When The Podcast Starts

In the lead-up to the 'cast feel free to text chat with others waiting for the show. About five minutes before the podcast starts you’ll hear some intro music and a countdown. This lets you know that things are ready to start!

Talking With The GWC Crew

When you connect to the call you’ll notice that your audio is automatically muted. (Though you’ll be able to text chat the entire time.) We run live GWC calls like a radio show. If you’d like to talk, click the “Request to Talk” link, which will let me know that you have something to say. You can also help me out by letting me know what general subject you’d like to discuss via the text chat. This way I can tell when to “take your call” during the 'cast so that it fits in with the general flow of things.

I’ll generally warn you via the text chat that we’re about to take your call, and when the time comes I’ll un-mute your audio and welcome you to the 'cast. At this point it’s just like calling into a radio show. You can interact with the crew and your audio will both carry to other TalkShoe listeners live and archive with the podcast for later listeners. After your call I’ll re-mute your line.

Remember: If at all possible, please let me know what you’d like to discuss in the text chat. It helps a lot!

The After Party

We’re all going to be incredibly wound-up after the exciting premiere – first BSG in months and months! – and after the show. So if you can, stick around. After we finish recording the podcast we’ll un-mute everyone on the call for a free-for-all chat party. In the past these have turned out to be incredibly fun – especially after the season 4.0 premiere. Let’s just put it this way: make sure you catch up on your sleep before Friday the 16th, because the party’ll likely stretch on to and beyond the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Yes, a good test is definitely to join us on the GWC After Frak Party, every Saturday at 1PM EST, 10AM PST. We always welcome newcomers (except those lousy musicbots) and we generally run about an hour or two, talking about pretty much anything (BSG, Doctor Who, Watchmen, X-Men, politics, tech news, etc) - This weekend I’ll be hosting as Emily is away, so if you want to test out your gear or just hang out, come join the party!

Use your computer: GWC After Frak Party
or call in: TalkShoe Phone #: 724-444-7444 Call ID: 17428

I’ll agree with Chuck that headphones are a must when calling from a computer, as the echo problem can get really bad, especially when more than one person has it and the echos start echoing as well :smiley:

Anyways, I’m looking forward to another great GWC Live podcast, they’re always fun, and hopefully this time I’ll have more of a voice.

Juan Drew signing off :wink:

I use my phone and mute my computer. I am low tech. I hope to see you Saturday.

Okay, we’ve been doing some testing and this seems to work best:

Download Gizmo: http://gizmo5.com/pc/ (Mac, PC and Linux versions available)

(a) Install and run Gizmo, create an account, log-in and then go to the main Gizmo interface window.
(b) Click “Edit” at the top of the main Gizmo interface window, select Options" and then “Advanced”.
© Click “DTMF Tones” and set this to “In-band”, then click “OK”.
(d) To call-in to the TalkShoe call, click the “DialPad” tab to bring up the Keypad,
(e) put the following into the blank box next to the telephone icons: sip:talkshoe@66.212.134.192
(f) Click-in the numbers of the “Call ID” with your mouse, including the “#” key. (The “Call ID” is shown at the bottom of the TalkShoe call screen).
(g) The last step is to click-in the numbers of your TalkShoe 10-digit “PIN” number with your mouse, including the “#” key (The “PIN” number is shown at the bottom of the TalkShoe call screen)

Call quality seems to be MUCH better than talkshoe pro, and you can customize the audio inputs and outputs a lot more…

Since the live 'cast starts 90 minutes before the episode airs here in Las Vegas, I’ll have to bow out. By the time the episode is over the live event on TalkShoe will already be 2 hours and 30 minutes in.

Sorry. This is what happens when you have to cope with the SciFi-West feed rather than SciFi-East. I may pop in but I am doubtful.

For the sake of those wishing another chance to check their audio, this facility will be made available at this time.

Oooh, how exciting! I’m slightly jealous that I’d have to miss it because living halfway across the world would most likely mean that I won’t get to see it until at least a few hours after it’s aired. I can’t risk spoiling myself THEN, when there’d only be a few hours left of this long awaited BSGasm.

So thank god for the after frak parties. :smiley:

I don’t understand…what’s going on? I read these rules over three times, and I just …what the frak?! How could you forget to add the one, the penultimate rule to Rule them All:
No Pants Allowed!!!:smiley:

Pants…just when I think we have gotten away, pants pull me back in

Not to worry, as well, because regardless of whether you’re calling in, using ShoePhone or Gizmo, all types of call-ins are ‘No-Pants Compatible’.

Just be make sure to test out your no-pants settings before joining the call :wink:

For those wondering what the topic is during “Audio Check Out”, frankly things will be mostly freeform. This is a chance to improve your proficiency with TalkShoe and get some practice handling such. I have no set topic to start with. There won’t be a TalkShoe podcast feed of such but we are recording locally. I’ll try to make an MP3 available Thursday so you can hear what you sound like in the mix down.

To join me on the poo barge call for this, visit http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/17698. Proceedings kick off tonight at 9 PM Eastern, 6 PM Pacific.

As something to open with, we could start with a compare & contrast between Barack Obama & Gaius Baltar. It was just something that came to mind at my local Vons grocery store looking at the magazines. Long waits in line at the register lead to time for pondering and such got interesting.

Talkshoe will not let you connect until you have verified you are not wearing pants. Dems da rulz.

No pants got it.

TalkShoe is not playing nice with me. I was going to stash the audio of the test run on TalkShoe. Since that went screwy, I’ve stashed it instead at http://drop.io/testride. The file will only be found there for seven days and the drop will self-destruct.

Sadly I will not be able to join you because my computer is broke, the mouse stopped working and it maybe the mouse software on the computer, I have another mouse that I tried and it didnt work either and so I have to take it and I won’t be able to till after saterday. Sorry!

:frowning: I was really looking forward to chatting with the GWC crew and all you guys Friday! :frowning:

I think there is something out there that doesnt want me chatting with you all! :frowning: First my Keyboard breaks and then I have to reinstall Windows Vista and now this!

I am using the breakroom computer at my work to post this.

I can’t verify this at work…but I believe you can call in on a standard number, you just won’t be able to talk to the crüe or participate in the Talshoe forum…you will essentially be listening to the podcast live on your phone.

Thanks for the suggestion Solai, I can’t afford to do that. I will just have to download the podcast later and hopefully join the next one. I am sure you will have one after BSG ends right?

You can talk from your phone. I don’t remember if you show up as something other than your number, though, so they might not realize who you are.

Anybody else have more experience with this? (Alpaca? Emily?)

In the last month I spent almost $200 fixing my computer (buying a new keyboard and windows vista), it’s 4 years old and in very good conditon, I never have virus or spyware problems (I run the virus and Spyware Checker every day) amd now it seems like my computer wants to fall apart.

Due to the way the call is set up, you’ll practically only be able to listen. You need access to the web interface normally to talk. Recent changes may make such possible from the phone, but I haven’t tried them. If this had popped up during last night’s check out we could have tested it.

This is all TalkShoe has to say about “Request To Talk” via phone: http://www.talkshoe.com/blog/index.php/request-to-talk-with-8.html. If you want to hear the check out, it can be downloaded from http://drop.io/testride and it gives an example of what the end GWC product might sound like.