Less in space, more on Earth...

Hello! Alright, Considering the name of this site is “galacticwatercooler” I am not sure where the line is drawn for fiction topics. I’m hesitant to ask my question since this one is a little closer to home, but here I go… I did not read the “The Lord of the Rings” books only watched the movies 3 or 4 times each. Anyways, in “LOTR” movies while visiting Lothlorien (that awesome sauce Elvin woodsy place) the boys were given gifts from Galadriel (Kate Blanchet). They all got different gifts but also they all received green leaf brooches. Now as we all know, Hollywood never gets it quite right when it comes to “based off of books” movies (but I digress)…My question is, are they given these brooches in the books like they are in the movies??:eek:

Been a while since I read the books, but I’m pretty sure they got the cloaks (with broaches) in it as well.

Welcome to the forum

Before the parting feast, the Galadhrim gave the members of the Fellowship these items:
[ul]
[li]Lembas for food[/li][li]Elven cloaks with Elven brooches[/li][li] Some Elven rope for Sam[/li][li] Boats for the Anduin[/li][/ul]At the parting feast, Galadriel presented specific gifts to each member of the Fellowship:
[ul]
[li] The Elfstone for Aragorn II[/li][li] A sheath for Andúril for Aragorn II[/li][li] A golden belt for Boromir[/li][li] A silver belt for Merry[/li][li] A silver belt for Pippin[/li][li] A Galadhrim bow strung with elf hair and arrows for Legolas[/li][li] A small grey wooden box with a silver rune “G forGaladriel”. Inside the box was earth from Galadriel’s orchard. The box also contained a silver nut from a Mallorn tree, the last east of the sea and west of the mountains. This was given to Sam.[/li][li]Three strands of Galadriel’s hair for Gimli[/li][li] The Phial of Galadriel for Frodo[/li][/ul]

Thanks a bunch!!:smiley:

My goodness, sounds like you read the books as many times as I have watched the movies… I’m jealous!

You’re in for a grand adventure then. Nobody writes like Tolkien, before or since. A grander adventure still is to read him aloud to someone else. Googling “Tolkien W…” will autocomplete as “Tolkien Writing Style” to see what I mean. I could never get into swords and sorcery as a genre, but he is the unique exception.

I got the hefty 50th anniversary paperback edition (unread!) at a yardsale. Used bookstores and libraries always have Tolkien on the shelf.

You’re absolutely right, I just googled him and the things people say about him make him seem like he is just as mythical as the characters he writes about! I’m for sure going to read the books, but that brings me to another question; the books came out in the order of: “The Hobbit”, “Fellowship of the Rings”, “The Two Towers” then “Return of the King” but the movies started with Fellowship-Towers-Return of the King, then went into the prequel Hobbit, why would they do that, and should I read it in that order? PS when you’re ready to part with that book, let me know lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Read The Hobbit first, but keep in mind it’s essentially a kid’s story. It’s almost written to be read aloud. I know someone who’s never read it; his only knowledge of the book was when his wife read it to him on a road trip. The good thing about the Hobbit is it gets you used to Tolkien’s style which can be… uh… wordy is probably the best way to put it nicely :slight_smile:

Short answer, Lord of the Rings is a larger and more cinematic tale then The Hobbit, which is why it was chosen for the films. They thought it would make a better set of movies.

If I can get through a Tom Clancy novel, I can probably tackle Tolkien && If he is half as wordy as that guy, that must have been one heck of a long trip lol-- but I will admit, they are apples and oranges. Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I don’t know, the Hobbit was amazing, then again you may be right… Not sure if I would have loved the Gollum scene as much if I didn’t already know who he was, it was a different side of him, of course he still had the same issues, but he was less…gurr, I cant quite put my finger on it… BUT I got pretty confused on the dragon scenes, I didn’t understand how they (at the end of the Hobbit) can go back to defeat the dragon but in the “Two Towers” they fought it again… so that must mean that they lost the first time, but how did they survive, and how did they not know what they were walking into in the “two towers” when they had to go back… Am I making any since?? PS probably not

Well, the movies are also adding some stuff that wasn’t in the book. When The Hobbit was written, it was meant as a children’s story, but when Tolkien started writing a sequel, it took a darker and more expansive turn. From what I understand, he went back and started to write a version of The Hobbit in the LotR style\ but never finished it.

Also, Smaug wasn’t in Two Towers. The creatures the Nazgul were riding were something different.

I’m a little disappointed! So basically the books to a certain extent aren’t supposed to go together? Hmm, bummer. At any rate, now there is no denying it, or putting it off, I have to read the books! Thanks for clarifying!

Well take it this way: Remember when you realized that you were an hour into the first movie and 90% of what you’d seen up to that point was them walking?

THEY CUT STUFF OUT TO MAKE THE MOVIE FASTER.

Hahahahahaha! Now you’re making me second guess reading the books! Without spoiling it (if you can) what are some parts from the books that they failed to mention in the movies but should have been there?

Welcome, Jess! You’ve come to the right place if that’s the kind of question that weighs on your mind. You are not alone.

Tolkien is a tremendous stylist, and in that regard, as was said before, few authors can touch him. BUT, that said, here’s my standard advice for people reading the books – especially if you’re not a passionate reader of fantasy:

Do not be afraid to skim the books. Tolkien’s stories aren’t as full of filler as, say, the Game of Thrones books. But the guys spend a LONG time walking around mountains. Some judicious skimming can make the difference between enjoying most of the books and quitting.

Actually I think all the cuts were good ones, though its been a while since I thought about it so maybe I’m forgetting something. However don’t take my joking too seriously, it’s a FANTASTIC series and a must read for any fan of the movies. Not the LoTR movies. Any movies. In history.

There is a huge, intricate scene with a very memorable character and bad guys, and the setup for something amazing with the Ents that happens between Hobbiton and Bree… that I think Tolkien forgot he wrote later on in the series. Jackson axed it and I couldn’t be happier.

In the movies, you don’t really realize that Aragorn isn’t the only Ranger of the North. In the book, the rest of them show up at an important moment.

Also, there was an additional ending to Return of the King including a couple characters that died earlier in the movies. They gave a small nod to it in the movie version of Fellowship instead of playing it out at the end.

The ‘Tolkien Professor Podcast’ is also a good way to learn about the Tolkien Universe and how it all fits together, the languages he created, and his marvelous use of words. They also dive into the Fae and many other aspects of his writing…

Thanks for the welcome! Fantasy IS something relatively new for me, and I find that it takes tarring down my ideas of even remote possibility to understand it sometimes… That being said, bombs away-- I am on my way to middle earth :slight_smile: thanks for the insight! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: