Less in space, more on Earth...

Hmm, that’s some high esteem to hold for 4 books, but there are books that I would go to bat for as well… I cant recall ever hearing “intricate scene” and “something amazing” in the same sentence shortly followed by “axed and I couldn’t be happier” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: can you remember what book this was in?

More rangers, omgosh! P Jacks how could you leave something like that out!!! what book??

First book, right as they’re setting out. It’s the first of the side adventures they go on.

And while it’s fantastic, it has nothing to do with the actual story. The tiny little bits that COULD be tied in with the story, aren’t. Once the Hobbits leave the area where this very memorable character and situation is, they forget about him and it forever.

The Lord of the Rings was one looooooooong book.

The publisher axed it into thirds.

I’m a little disappointed! So basically the books to a certain extent aren’t supposed to go together? Hmm, bummer. At any rate, now there is no denying it, or putting it off, I have to read the books! Thanks for clarifying!

I look at it like this. The book The Hobbit is not a prequel to Lord of the Rings, as The Hobbit was written first. The movie The Hobbit is a prequel, and deliberately puts in some things that set up The Lord of the Rings movies.

Though The Hobbit was edited by Tolkien and re-released after he realized that he was going to use the character Gollum in The Lord of the Rings. He made Gollum’s personality more evil (?) / warped by the ring than he had in the original release or The Hobbit.

Oh goody, its at the beginning! I was supposed to get the books today, but I forgot… The good news is, they’re holding them for me! Soon enough I will know what the heck you guys are talking about! lol

That’s a good way of putting it!

Honestly, I had no idea books can be re edited after they have already been released! That’s kind of messed up!

They can make changes when they’re doing later printings, but it’s usually just fixing typos that slipped through the editing process. This was a larger change and was explained in the forward to the Lord of the Rings printing I have (probably on Fellowship if you get them as separate books).

Honestly, I had no idea books can be re edited after they have already been released! That’s kind of messed up!

Tell me about it…