Just watched Caprica premiere

So I’ve been in limbo since BSG, it was my thing to watch on TV. I have to say I really like Caprica, this is the first I’ve seen of it and it has the BSG vibe to it. Sure it’d rather just have BSG, but it’s pretty good!

Yeah, It’s not too bad. I’ll watch it.

I was just wondering was the episode that was on last night the same episode that was released on DVD ages ago.

It feels “right” so far. They are using the mythos really well, and I’m buying in.

With no boobies and more CGI aerial shots of Caprica

I liked it. The last few minutes were really creepy, when the Zoe/Cylon (Zylon?) woke up again and called her friend Lacey for help. I saw the DVD when it first came out, and didn’t snap to the fact that maybe Zoe faked the failed test/data crash in front of her Dad so she could get away from him. Did anyone else think that? Although when she saw her reflection in the table, and saw what she was, maybe she was genuinely freaked out. I know I would be.

Loved the music of course! It reminded me of BSG, but it was just different enough. Bear McCreary’s soundtracks are awesome.

well at least now we know where the cylons got the idea of the “one true god”

And we learned why they are going to rebel. They are a teenage girl with an image problem…

I liked it… I will watch…

There is abit of dialog with Zoe’s friend and her father in the VR NiteClub. She mentions how they figured out most of what was going on. Also how they came to know the One. And how by doing that she was allowed to create a duplicate of herself. Gee wonder when we will see Head Giaus and Head Six play in old Caprica?

I wonder how they will reveal the Head characters.

like some of us have said here before, that Graystone will somehow become the focus of the One True God for the Zylon(z). The Old Goo Guy, I think he was called.

If so, then perhaps Zoe never leaves the larry/laurens until the skinjobs build their centurions. Which might indicate when we saw the OGG we also saw Zoe in cylon form.

She is a cybernetic lifeform node which inmplies to me connection between them so Zoe could inhabit them all–a convenient way to have a revolution once they are in mass production.

How much geek jargon can I fit into this post?

one of my only real issues is that Cybernetic Lifeform Node spell CLN or cyln…
Should it not have be C.Y.L.O.N OR at the very least Cy.L.O.N.

Like Cyber Youth Legion Operating Node or something…

I felt a little bit irked by the idea that the whole ‘one true god’ bit was the invention of mankind. I feel like it’s sort of a cop out that the cylons themselves couldn’t come up with anything and had to have a teenage girl help them cognitively out.

I didn’t get a sense that the One True God was an invention. It comes from somewhere and my whole thing is that I really want this show to show me how the Cylons came to believe in one God. I want the origins. What is one God offering that the many don’t? I’d really like to see that explored and contrast it with how Greystone is playing God, so was Zoe.

I agree. I get the notion that the One True God has been around for a while. The Head folk are real. Both human and Cylon saw them. I hope they have some episodes that involve Erf and Kobol, to hash out the whole One God cult.

Perhaps I should have said that it irks me that the Cylons didn’t encounter/discover the one ‘true’ god themselves. I just think having a whiny teenage girl as the instigation of the whole thing kinda lame.

I don’t know, I thought it kind of made sense. A lot of the actions of the Cylons did seem to stem from a fit pubescent rebellion.

Come to think of it Cavil was the most pubescent of all the Cylons. That really ups his sceeve score in my mind…

This is what will make Caprica so cool, if they really take care to tie the Greystones to the events in BSG. If Daniel is indeed the Old Goo Guy, that would make sense that Zoe is possibly still around, maybe taking care of him? I can see Daniel wanting to take the next step, and submitting himself to be the first Hybrid. He has that mad scientist vibe about him.

I think that last few scenes of seeing Zoe see herself as a Zoebot really did it for me. How incredible it was to feel all these emotions from watching a metal head with a flashing light. Really great direction there. I can watch that scene over and over again.

I’m less gung ho on the actors. They’re doing a good job, but I still feel shades of overacting with Stolz and Morales, which is distracting for now. But at least, I want to know more about them - especially with Stolz’s character. Bill Adama’s dad? Surprisingly less so. It was that speech at the bed that ruined it for me - less is more.

There’s certainly more potential here than I initially thought (though I’m still not quite sure how long the premise could sustain the show for, given the timeline), and I definitely see the possibility that some Virtuality themes and acrs would seep in Caprica which is great.

As for the religion stuff, I am strangely looking forward to seeing more of what this cult is, and that if they already existed for some time amongst the humans before BSG, what happened to cause the BSGers to not remember this particular part of history (since when they first found out about the Cylon’s faith, no one ever mentions that, hey, that’s right, we had that cult back on Caprica)? Though, I do hope it’s not a ‘real’ God they’re trying to portray (with Zoe exclaiming that she was chosen to do all this stuff), but more of how cults/religions worked (amongst the humans vs. among the zoebots).

The premire was good don’t care for all the nakedness i like the relaships of all the people on the show may thats what draw me to BSG plus all the action on the show

I can’t help but wonder as I am watching Caprica now who will eventually turn into the 6 Cylons. If we assume Daniel Graystone is # 7, and Zoe is one of the 6 as well (which number though?), who else comes to mind? And once the final five show up, take the metal Cylons away and disappear for 50 some years, where/how do they get the bodies for the humanoid cylons? It almost kind of hurts my head to think about it.