Juan. David. So much more

slammed in the chest by the news of your passing, today.
Just yesterday, I was sitting on your lap and making you laugh your way into our hearts.
And you and the hub crashing together for some guy love at a meetup.

bkitty & Juan

P3200110

10 Likes

I was just thinking earlier this week about the people that I haven’t seen in a while and what events might bring us all together again. I’m crushed that Juan won’t be there. He was loved and will forever be missed.

9 Likes

When Juan hugged you, you were well and truly hugged. DSCF1008
He was something special.

9 Likes

It’s 2:30 in the morning as i type this because I can’t sleep. I didn’t think I’d ever be back here, but for Juan this feels right. Been thinking about you all day, trying to wrap my head around the fact that you are gone. Hating the idea that I’ll never get to hug-pile you again. What the fuck man. Why?

When I think back to all the times at meetups, the forum, the podcast and the late night google hangouts, I see Juan. Juan was the big, soft, teddy bear you loved to hug and laugh with, and sing nerdy songs with. Or just listen to him sing because he was so good, and so talented, and he used his talent to make everyone around him better. He was our community heart. The gooey center of the caramel. The one that made all thing go. Juan is and will always be the best of us.

I always held on the the thought that we’d see each other again, someday. There was always going to be another meetup. No matter the distance in time and space. You were going to be there. And now you’re not. And I don’t want to believe it. It can’t be true.

I don’t believe in an afterlife, but i wish I could. Because I wish there was still going to be a someday, and I could hug my friend again. Love you always.

540878_409769135704571_1931787626_n

11 Likes

I sit here with a Juan shaped hole in my heart. We bonded over administration of this Forum, I can still hear your infectious laugh in my ears. You were a man of so many talents, your contribution to this Community cannot be understated. We can never thank you enough.

11 Likes

I don’t have the words to say what should be said about you, David. Your laugh, your hugs, your musical talent. The quiet way you just kept this little corner of the internet going. We always knew we could come back because you had made it still be here. We’ll never have that nerf fight again, the cosplay again, the silly jokes that no one else but all of us got. But most of all there won’t be you. Goodbye friend.

11 Likes

From the savvy, to the songs, to the sarcasm, and the sweetness, you were a veritable pillar of this community, and will remain so for as long as we carry the memories.

To the stars, brother. Thank you for everything in our lives that you helped create, maintained, and improved by being a part of it.

9 Likes

I haven’t spoken to him in years, but he’s not someone you could forget. My heart goes out to everyone who knew and loved him. He made the world a better place for us.

8 Likes

Wow. David and I shared a home town, and while I’ve been able to meet with hist bother Stephen, I never got to meet Juan in person. He was a big part of the early GWC family that has meant so much over the years. I’m gutted and kinda numb.

Rest well sir. So say we all.

7 Likes

Juan and the Crüe really built something. I don’t remember a big reveal, but my mind was blown when I found out “Juan” actually had something to do with his real name.

GWC remains a special time and place for me. And you’re all part of it.

This sucks. Hang in there, everybody.

7 Likes

And I just felt a huge rush of pride when I saw my “Alpaca Prime” status.

6 Likes

214-296-9229. It’s still in my brain.

6 Likes

Juan. David. I hope where ever you are, you know a little bit of what your kindness meant to a kid from Ohio. That big smile and the booming laugh on the google hangouts are what I think about now. I knew GWC meant a lot to me while it was around but I think I’ve truly come to realize just how impactful it was last year when I was rewatching it with Samantha.

When I think of the old podcast, there were always four pillars in my mind. Chuck, Sean, Audra and you. The other three always felt a little like celebrities to me back then but you were so approachable, so kind and so willing to listen to a excited kid ramble on and on about theories of whatever show or story we were talking about. You always made me laugh, at some rough times. Thank you for that.

You did it again last year too. I went back on my own quietly and re-listened to some old episodes during a late night when I was scared about what was happening in the world. I don’t remember what episode, or even what the topics were but it was the four pillars just cracking jokes and for those 2 hrs or so I could forget about what was happening. Thank you for that.

There were a few times toward the end of the podcast where we got to hangout and chat just you me and a few others on google hangouts on random nights. Thank you for that.

Not a day goes by where I don’t think fondly of what this community used to mean to me, still means to me and how happy I am to have the friends I do that came out of it. None of that happens if people in it like you weren’t willing to listen to a rambling kid from Ohio geek out about the things they loved.

thank you.

9 Likes

This is fitting. To honor the man in the place he built and maintained. Our love. Our fears. Our dreams. It endures. Juan endures.

Cromspeed, David.

8 Likes

Words have escaped me since we found out you were gone. So many memories, and heartwarming stories. Words still escape me.

We last interacted back in March, when not long after the forum was upgraded I tried to log in to figure out when this place first came about. We had been reminiscing about when it was started and when each joined, Well it seemed my e-mail provider didn’t seem to want to play nice…but I didn’t even realize it before you reached out to ask if I had tried to log in. But that was so you, making sure we had access to this place and help us with tech issues.

I think the last time I saw you in person was the last meetup, but I will never forget your hugs, and your infectious laugh. As others have said your hugs were legendary. And that laugh never failed to make others smile. And you were always there to help provide tech support. And you kept this place alive so it was here when we wanted to visit, and you did it without us asking and despite many of us not visiting often.

A few months ago when I left the state for the first time since COVID I was listening to my iPod when one of the parody songs you recorded back during the heyday of the podcast… it made me think of the time you all performed them at the meetup where it snowed, in TX, in March.

I had been hoping to take a trip up the West Coast in the coming years starting CA and hoping to end up in Vancouver BC where I would visit you, and meet your wife. I still can’t wrap my head around that now when I make that trip, you won’t be there.

You always hold a special place in my heart. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again my friend.

7 Likes

I have no words that can convey my feelings adequately. You will be missed sir

6 Likes

Whoa! Audra just shared the news on FB. Without Juan this community would not have become what it is. I didn’t know him well, but this is a sting that hits this family I still hold dear in my heart. Pouring one out from the old stein for our lost brother.

7 Likes

I miss you all so much! :cry:

6 Likes

Yes. This was the best place on the internet. Bless you all.

6 Likes

GWC was my first, and best, online community. I am astonished at the good fortune that landed me here some 13+ years ago, and even more astonished at the people I met. I’m so sad that I didn’t stick around these parts, as it is 1000% more lovely than any other place on the Internet, and Juan helped build that. Love and peace to him, his loved ones, and all of you. – Love, Stroogie/Glimfeather

7 Likes