Juan. David. So much more

Deepest condolences to Stephen and family.

Juan will be missed and loved.

He’s heading to the Big Reveal in the sky.

6 Likes

I don’t have the words. David / Juan was many things to many people but what he was to us was one of ours. The fact that we are even able to express anything on this forum was b/c he wanted to make sure it was still here for everybody in case they needed it. We have not spoken in quite some time but he was still looking after me and everybody else, that’s just what he did.

I keep staring at this picture of a man holding a beaver in my office, waiting for the words to come. 20211019_065528

The world will be less without him in it. I did not know him best but I am Sean and I was a friend of Juan.

9 Likes

David, we miss you and love you, always will. Rest well in Geek Heaven. So much sympathy to his wife and family.

A few pictures from meetups of our Juan and only:

IMG_0183
IMG_0130
SANY0075
SANY0022
Juan & Beef

8 Likes

It’s been a few days since I was called and notified of David’s passing. I had hoped a little time and distance would be able to soften the blow or start to fill the hole David left in my life. But my memories keep circling around our shared times together, shared projects, as well as memories of his heart of gold. And they all are helping to leave the wound of David being gone wide open.

There was some tech news just yesterday that I wondered what David would think about it. He always had some interesting analysis to share about new tech and he constantly surprised me about what technology he personally was thinking of trying out next. Whenever he did offer his opinion I would always heard his disclaimer catchphrase, “I work for a telecom and the opinions I express are my own!”

It has been a few years since I’ve seen David and I was hoping to come out to Victoria to see him again next summer. In my current online circles David became to be known as “The Better Jondrew” because I work closely with his brother Stephen on several projects. David was always known as the better brother because of his early work in podcasting and because we joked that he always did things better. So of course we nicknamed David as “The Better Jondrew.” It will be sad not to be able to see them both together as I had hoped but I’ll do my best to help Stephen fill the role of “The Better Jondrew” now as I know David would want.

The first time I met David I was awed by his physical presence. I mean I’m practically a dwarf or a hobbit next to him by comparison. He literally looked like a giant next to me. But he was a gentle giant. His caring and thought for others was always larger than himself. There are many stories of him doing things for others without regard to himself that nearly everyone who interacted with David had. David always wanted everyone to be included so before the days of Zoom he managed to cobble together a system to merge two Hangouts together. At the time Hangouts could only have so many people on one call. I think it was just eight at the time. But using his webcams and sound mixer and his laptop and his gaming computer he was able to get 14 others on the call together – him plus 7 others on each call. He simply didn’t want anyone to feel left out.

If you knew David you knew he was technically gifted. There was one time I coordinated with David on a new server computer case as a gift. We were both thinking along the same lines but David always knew the detailed technical things to make a better informed decision and in the end the choice was obvious - it was the one he picked out. From what I heard the case worked great for years before it needed to be replaced as everything tech inevitably does. If you had a tech question he would either know the answer of find out the answer for you very quickly. You could always count on David for that.

One of my favorite memories of David was my first ever podcast episode recording. He was sitting right next to me to my left. All five of us were squeezed together because the room was small but we made it work. It was the first recording of thousands of episode recordings now but David was there at the first one and I remember it like it was just a few hours ago. Not many people have heard this story but I was drinking a Dr Pepper at the time wrongly thinking it would help wet my whistle so to speak. It turns out years later I would find out drinking a carbonated sugary drink is one of the worst drinks for a speaker. But I had that can of Dr Pepper in my hand anyway. David was to my left and Sean was to my right. And for anyone who’s never had a chance to see Sean record in studio the man could literally be a professional voice actor with the expressions and gestures throughout. And true to form at one point in the recording Sean got super excited. I think having both David and I in the room with them was exhilarating to Sean at the time and he might have been hamming his performance up a little bit. Well, at the same moment Sean got excited I took a drink out of the Dr Pepper can and when the can was just in front of my mouth near my face Sean’s excited hand punched the can into my face making Dr Pepper splatter all over my face, chest, legs and over to the person sitting to my left…David. After figuring out my nose wasn’t broken we all just laughed about it as David and I tried to wipe Dr Pepper from our faces and microphone windscreens. We were still laughing about it post recording as we cleaned up too. To this day I wish it had just been water.

David also was a fun gamer to watch. He had his YouTube channel full of Minecraft sessions but I got to witness him playing in person once. I had brought the new Tron game as a gift for Chuck and we all decided to let David play it first to show us how it was done. The game turned out to be terrible. But as David was figuring the game out his comments were hilarious. He did his best to play through the hiccups of the game. He even started to mimic the jerks of the character he was playing in the game and ended up flailing about on the couch in the fashion only David could do with his entire body when the game glitched. It was a sight to see! I never ended up playing the game again when I got home since I bought a copy for himself too. I could never top that experience of David playing the game with my own. David ended up buying me a Tron Clu action figure afterwards as a gift so I would always remember that time. I have had it displayed in my home office ever since.

For those of us who got to know or spend time with David we know how special he was and how precious our time was with him. I will forever miss him and wish for even a few minutes more with him. But most of all I will remember his kindness and try to pay that kindness forward the best that I can to honor him and bring a little bit more of David into the world while I can.

~SP

6 Likes

I am not much for social media but it doesn’t mean that I forget the amazing people who are on the other side of a screen just because I do not write much. Every time I see an update from one of the GWC Peeps, it generates such a warm glow in my heart. And seeing an update from David or a mention from someone else about him always brings to mind the first (and only, for me) meetup. Getting to know him just in those few days is a memory I treasure. We ended up on the same flight from Dallas to Seattle. Coincidentally, so did Chief (Aaron Douglas). While we were waiting for boarding we geeked out about not only getting together to see the finale but to some one of the cast too.

I took an opportune moment while boarding to talk to Aaron, tell him about our meetup and how much we loved the show. He was nice enough to send signed photos back to me for myself and David during the flight and I was thrilled to give David his when we landed. He seemed to be as happy as I was to have this little tangible treasure of the weekend.

I didn’t take the opportunity to attend any of the additional gatherings but David made such an impression in so few days.

I will miss knowing that is he is out there making things better in his corner of the world, but from reading all of your comments, he is loved and missed by so many, so his gifts will continue on.

7 Likes

I still can’t make myself believe this is real. I don’t have the words to express how much you’ll be missed.

I have been, and always shall be, your friend.image

5 Likes

Hello all, my name is Lylah and I am Davids wife.

Thank you all for your kind words and stories about David. I love seeing the photos of all of you having fun. He always talked about the meetups and how much he admired all of you.

I am unbelievably heart broken that he is gone but it makes me so happy that he lives on with all of you.

7 Likes

Topic: JuanZoom, Our Forever Alpaca of the GWC Crüe

Meeting ID: 818 3772 4206
Passcode: juan

Join JuanZoom From Browser:
Launch Meeting - Zoom

open all day and into the night

When I think back to that first meetup all those years ago, I can’t help but smile. What were we thinking? Flying from all over the country to meet people from an online forum? Was that safe or smart?

For me, I felt so connected to the people I hadn’t met in person, that I couldn’t stand to think of missing the first meetup. Like everyone, I am sure glad I did!

Juan was there and friendly. Many of us were so far out of our comfort zones. But the community we had online translated perfectly in person. I remember Juan’s warm and laugh. He listened and was genuine in every interaction he had with you. Most of all I remember his creativity. The songs! How amazing and fun they were.

As our community grew, changed and transitioned I certain saw less of Juan (my own engagement lessened too) but when he’d pop by, it was a joy to catch up. I last saw him at the Browncoat Ball here in Phoenix, which is a special memory because we were all so dressed up and excited. I am grateful I knew him and I want to assure his lovely wife and family that his legacy in our corner of the world is cherished.

Bless your next journey dear David!

3 Likes

This is so hard, truth is I haven’t been around for years. I’m not sure why I checked back today but to find this out is heartbreaking

he was a kind person that helped build and maintain a community I truly treasured. In a time I needed it badly, Not just with his intellect but with his heart.

He will be missed. Love to his family and friends

2 Likes

Message from Mrs Juan:

Hi all, I have hired someone to help with David’s celebration of life. After writing his obituary I knew I was probably not going to be able to get up and speak during the celebration.
She has asked that anyone that is able /inclined to please send her some memories/stories about David so she can add them into the event.

If you want to send her something please email her before Nov 26 so she has time to get it all organized. Her name is Laura-Lee Parris.

Please put David Jaundrew in the email subject line so she knows who you are writing for :heart:

Email: laura-lee.parris@hotmail.com

1 Like

Update from Mrs Juan:

David’s brother put together a slideshow which will play at the celebration of life today. We know that not everyone in this chat can attend in person, and from our understanding it sounds like you may not be able to see it on the live-stream. As such, he has made the slideshow video available for download in a OneDrive folder so that you can watch it on your own, if you choose to.

The OneDrive link below should have a video player built into it (similar to YouTube where you can just press on a play button), but let me know if you have any issues viewing it and I’ll find an alternative. If you want to, you are also able to press the download button to download the video as file for keepsake purposes as well.

1 Like

I am deeply sorry to share the heart-wrenching news that Mrs Juan, irl Lylah Mourad, collapsed at home and passed away on Tuesday in the presence of her family.

As part of her extended universe of family, I offer my deepest sympathies those who had the honor of knowing and loving her personally.

This is more than any should have to bear.

We can only hold you in our hearts from afar and hope it provides some ease to those who remain to know we share some small part of your pain.

2 Likes

Just logged on for the first time in quite a while. Podcasts were brought up in a discussion I was having with my wife about long drives, and began thinking about GWC and all the great memories and laughs the 'Cast gave me on the long weekend drives(3.5 hours each way) home from college all those years ago. So sad to hear of Juan and Mrs. Juan’s passing. I truly believe that one can die of a broken heart :frowning: