iPhone Geek

I wish the iPhone could do everything I ever wanted, like, give me a soda, etc

The impression I get is that it does do everything except make a phone call :slight_smile:

I’d settle for cutting an pasting.

I could use cutting and pasting too.

That said, I think my iPhone is the most perfect device I’ve ever owned.

I agree! I totally <3 mine. If only it had google talk on it I would be such a happy camper.

Have bottle opener for my beer and have an online store for whiskey

Starting to think I may have a problem here.

Obviously.

You’re out of beer and whiskey.

As the newest owner of an iPhone, and as an iPhone is distinct from an iPod I am making an area to discuss iPhone best practices, tips, tricks and necessary apps. Let us know the things you have learned over time and what you do that might be unique in how you use your iPhone.

EDIT: I am going to begin a running list of the recommendations in this initial post (at least the ones that stand up to feedback)

Utilities
AT&T Mobile Banking (free) - I am far too paranoid to use this application but have heard good things about it (even if you have super-secured your iPhone do you really want a window into your bank account out there?) but apparently it is a great app for accessing major banking institutions

AroundMe (free) - One of the great unknown apps that people either say, “Of course” or, “woah”. Quick summary is that it combines your current location and tells you how far away restaurants, pubs, hospitals, banks, gas stations etc

Google app (free)- Google talk, Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Reader, Goog-411, News, Notebook, Photos, orkut, Translate, Maps, Youtube, Earth all in one

Shazam (free) - Unless you are living under a rock you haven’t heard of this. While listening to a song on the radio you ask Shazam, “What song is this?” and it finds out. Really fast.

Vlingo (free) - Voice recognition software for your iPhone. I haven’t played with this much, but from those people who use it report good things, perhaps even better than Google’s equivalent. Excels at searching the web and calling contacts…a little buggier in other areas.

News readers
NY Times (free) - Designed specifically for the iPhone. Very slick interface

Weather Channel: My wife loves this more than I do. Streaming video local weather updates? Awesome

Twitter readers
Two divisions: Local app and Browser based. Browser based winner is hahlo. App has a blood match between Twitterific and Twitterfon

Games
Adventure - Yes, the Atari game. If you need further description you won’t get nor will you like it. Trust me.

Tap defense (free) - Trust me on this if you haven’t played it, it looks simple…three hours later you realize you should have gone to sleep at 11pm

Galcon Lite (free): This game is straightforward and a good tactic and strategy exercise. Just when you think you have mastered it the next level completely changes tactics.

Internet radio
Another grudge match between two major players: Pandora and last.fm. Both basically do the same thing: stream radio to you and learn from your favorites to make new recommendations. Pretty cool.

Best “oooh” factor
NBC Traffic Camp (free) - Live pictures from all NYC area highways. Spotty coverage at times, get getting live pics of the highway you are about to take as you are about to get into your car? Priceless

Labyrinth LE (free) - If you don’t know this one, trust me…get it. Free, awesome and gets a definite “ooooh”

Ocarina ($) - Ok…everyone says this is cool, but I am still not 100% sold. It turns your iPhone into a flute and if you learn the fingerings can play whatever you like. I have yet to produce a solid tone and haven’t scraped together the time to learn a new instrument…but everyone always says, “Oh, you have to get that!”

Hacks, Tips, Tricks
Make your own Ringtone free (search Cnet.com with iPhone Ringtone). Also, if you have GarageBand you can export directly to iTunes.

Errata
m-Box mail ($10): Don’t want to give up your Hotmail account and can’t believe your iPhone can’t connect to it natively? Here is your solution. Don’t let the steep price throw you…if you were ready to trash the old Hotmail account you no longer need to. Access and functionality are exactly like regular iPhone email interface.

Securing your iPhone
Here is the collection of steps you can take to make your phone more secure:

1. Write down IMEI # :
    [SIZE=2]Settings\General\About\IMEI (
    [SIZE=2]International Mobile Equipment Identity, “Your iPhone’s IMEI, or is a fifteen digit number that can be used by wireless carriers to identify your specific device”)
    [/SIZE]

2. Write down Serial # :
    (good to have, not very useful when attempting to recover a phone)

3. Enable auto-lock: Settings\General\Auto-lock. Granted, this does nothing for security by itself, but it does prolong battery life by automatically shutting off the screen which is a good thing

4. Enable passcode (required after 15 minutes):
    Settings\General\Passcode Lock\Require Passcode=After 15 min (other options: Immediately, 5 minutes, 1 hour)

5. Enable erasing of iPhone after 10 failed attempts,
    Settings\General\Passcode Lock\Erase Data=On

6. Install Gadget track (still researching this, but apparently allows you to see in a web browser where your iPhone is…I’ll report more on this once I have tested)

7. Sim card lock
    What sim card lock will do is prevent people from making calls from your iPhone when they turn it on as it requires the pass code to unlock the SIM card. It will also prevent someone from removing your SIM card and sticking it into another phone to make calls as well as prevent easy transfer of all your contacts…so it is well worth it.

To enable SIM card pass code:

1. Tap your iPhone’s Settings app
  2. Tap on Phone
  3. Select SIM PIN
  4. Tap Change PIN
  5. Enter the Current Password (for AT&T, the default is 1111. For other carriers check here)
  6. Enter the New Password, a 4-digit pass code that you can remember; re-enter it to confirm.

The next time you turn on your iPhone you will be asked to unlock your SIM. If you forget your PIN, you will need to contact your carrier to unlock the SIM.
[/SIZE]

Well, in a Venn diagaram, iPod would be encompassed by iPhone…

Anyhoo… I tweeted this earlier, but for the record hahlo.com is the best mobile twitter interface that I’ve seen.

Ok, seriously…how frakking cool is Shazam? There are about 40 songs on my iTunes that I have never known their names or artists…it is slow going, but I am finally getting these coded right!

Wow. It didn’t even occur to me to use it for that.

Two interesting articles on "things you may not have known on the iPhone:

Link 1

Link 2

(can you tell what I am doing on this snow day?)

As amazing as Shazam is, I find it more amazing that you have songs that you don’t know the title of. Did you record them from your 45’s grandpa? :smiley: I used to forget stuff because I knew Solai would have the answer. :wink:

Congrats on the recent addition to the family.

Pshaw! You kids and your 45s. I bet you don’t even have 78 as an option on your grammaphone.

One app that is simple but works so well is the Mobile Banking App. Just enter your password and you are immediately logged in to your financial institution. I can do everything I used to do on my PC but logging in that way has got more complicated with the additional security. It’s a simple app that makes a common task even easier and more convenient.

Is that a specific banking app, or a general one? I’ve got a BoA app, but I’ve never figured out how to activate it.

78’s? I was born in 79 so I must have missed them. :smiley:

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone wrote an app to add some authentic hiss and pop to your mp3’s. I hear they sound better that way. :rolleyes:

Actually, almost any major audio app has that as an option.

It’s call “authenticity” younglings. Now, get back to the waxing on, waxing off.

It is the Mobile Banking on AT&T App. It supports several of the large banks and several of the smaller regional chains. I had to enroll at my Credit Unions website and then they gave me a activation code that links it to my account after entering a password. I am not sure about how Bank of America is setup but you got me excited when you said “BoA App”.

She is my favorite singer ever.

Is that her name? Eponysterical!