Interested in a GWC RPG campaign?

I had the idea that it might be a lot of fun to have some sort of RPG running. We would have to figure out who will DM, what campaign setting & rule set. We talked a bit on twitter & decided it would be best to move it to the forum so we could hash the details out. I had suggested having a thread, others are saying Google+ would be the better location, I’m goo either way.

So if you’re interested post here & let’s get talking!

bounces with excitement

Yes. Yes. Yes. I will not throw down constraints and negative thots. All I say is yes. Simple process:

1. We establish a standing date and time
  2. We play
  3. Go.

I would be interested in joining. we will have to work on timing and such as im sure a LOT of us have busy schedules.

Flexibility will be key. Having ‘character’ parts ready for people who can only play one night, pre-rolled. Ability to lose a player if they are unavailable.

I love you guys!

Sweet! I haven’t gamed in ages, mostly because I didn’t like the folks I was gaming with…but gaming with the GWC crowd sounds awsome. :slight_smile:

Oh dear god yes! A million times yes. I have a wonky schedule, so I’ll have to see how this develops, but the enthusiasm is at critical mass.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

The idea is appealing. How would we do it? There’s some online RPG tools, although most of them cost something to use (I’m looking into one of the free ones.)

There’s also ways of doing it over various kinds of chat, with just a dice-rolling daemon to do the random numbers.

A couple links to check out:

http://savageworldsonline.net/9-ways-to-adapt-a-scenario-to-online-play/

http://savageworldsonline.net/starting-an-online-game/

As I said on twitter, I really like the idea of this. And you all should do it!!
But I don’t think I could personally make the time commitment.

But, for what it’s worth, here’s what I would do if I were doing it:

1. Use a generic RPG game system. Advantage is you can all learn it and you can shift to any genre you want. Fantasy, Superheroes, Mass Effect, Star Trek, Firefly …anything.

2. I’d recommend the Savage Worlds game system. http://www.peginc.com/games.html
    (I thot there used to be a free download of the rules system somewhere but I don’t see one anyone. It’s $10).

3. Go to this page and http://www.peginc.com/downloads.html and scroll down to “Wizards & Warriors”. Good stuff to get started with.

4. Maybe start off with a simple One Sheet Adventure. Go to http://www.peginc.com/onesheets.html and scroll down to “The Tomb of Terrors”.

Anyway, that’s my two cents. Start simple and then move onto a Savage World fantasy campaign like Everlast. Whatever.

I’d be willing to give it a shot. Except for Tuesdays, my evening schedule’s prett wide open. Oh, and the Stargate Frak Parties on Saturday nights, but if Saturday works best for people, maybe we could do it before the frak parties.

G+ with whatever online mapping/dice rolling program thing is better could be pretty cool

I agree, a generic system would probably be best that way we can adapt it to whatever we want it to be. The Savage Worlds system looks interesting & definitely worth exploring. Thot your suggestions are great! I also agree that a simple advanture at first would be the best way to go. Everyone can get their feet wet & those participating who have barely or never played before can get a feel for what they like to do.

My evening schedule is fairly open. I have a gaming group every other Friday & Saturday’s are usually when we record Tyrion’s Landing.

Would there be any objections to a Sunday evening. I can’t do weekdays, my only option is Saturday or Sunday. I’d love to do it, but i know I’m only one person.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Yeah I’m busy Tuesday nights, Friday nights, and usually Saturday

OK, depending on the game this could be done on a G+ hangout. There’s no dice rolling utility there yet, but you could use this dice roller, which lets everyone logged in see the same results. If a mapping utility is necessary an internet whiteboard could be used, eg Scriblink.

RPTools is a suite of tools for online roleplaying, but it looks like there’s a not-inconsequential learning curve. Seems to be pretty well put together, though.

RPGTonight is similar. It is less pretty, but it has the advantage of providing the web host (with RPTools the GM hosts the session) and possibly a shorter learning curve. The only downside is that you have to sign up for the site and they have a manual approval process (shouldn’t take more than a day.)

I think we can go lower tech with it. When I’ve played Deadlands on the Savage system, it was pretty irrelevant where the players were in space. Actually, slavishly keeping track of where everyone is on a board actually takes you out of the roleplaying. What I’m saying is, until you get into a battle, it’s not really important where each player is in space. It’s only important when X player is ten feet from the third zombie or whatever, and a DM can keep track of that.

Okay, what I’m getting to is this: you don’t need roller programs and board programs. All you need is an organized, trustworthy GM/DM/Marshall to roll for everyone and keep track of the battle and communicate with everyone through G+ hangouts. If not everyone is comfortable with that, we could try something else.

There are, however, a lot of useful spreadsheet-based character sheets that make character creation really easy. What’s also helpful is a multi-user edited webpage of some sort that keeps track of the story so far.

Just out of curiosity, what types of RPGs are we most interested in? Fantasy? Sci-Fi? Western? Horror?

I concur, for me the most interesting and fun aspect of gaming is the role playing. Not the rules and the dice rolling. But the interaction and the fun of getting into the characters and experiencing the world you all have created.

Unfortunately my work schedule is insane until they hire another cook for my kitchen. So I cannot join in unless you all decide to try a RPG like the one I had on the forums earlier. A strictly story based one. (See in the Writers Forum) That allows everyone to contribute on their own schedules and still keep the story moving.

Count me in. I am on the West coast so timing should be interesting form me.

I suggest a simple dungeon crawl on a pretty basic level to work out some of the bug of any battles but I think getting into character will be the best part.

I haven’t done any table top gaming in eons. I’d be very interested in seeing how this plays out. Most of my old RP gaming has devolved into MMO powergaming over time. Of course there’s only so much you can do in an MMO. There’s a lot of hype and anticipation with upcoming releases and expansions (DDO just got Artificers, LOTRO is about to open up Isengard, DCUO just got Hard Light, SWTOR is moving through beta, WoD MMO may or may not be vaporware) but, I’d be willing to set aside some regular time for something like this.

Google+ is still something new to me. I guess I’ll have to look into that. The other packages look interesting too.

I would be interested but in the UK so timing would be up the creek…However, let me know and I’ll see what I can do.