I require some technical support please

So…I don’t know what’s going on. I can’t access the forum from either of my computers but can access everything else. The only way I’m posting this is through a proxy. I get a “Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at forum.galacticwatercooler.com.” error on my desk top and a “The connection to the server has been reset” error on my laptop.

What the frak man…T_T

Where are you? Home or work? Cuz it sounds like someone is filtering content.

Home. And I’m the only computer literate person here. Also it’s literally only the forum. I can connect to any other site on the net

That or your router needs to be rebooted. I have found that occasionally my cable modem and wireless router need to be rebooted to access websites I frequent. Don’t ask why, and it doesn’t happen often enough for me to try and figure out why it occurs…all I know is that it happens and in 3 minutes I can fix it by rebooting the two devices.

Tried to reboot both actually. Only thing I haven’t done is reboot both at the same time

Hmm…that shouldn’t make a difference. In case you don’t usually follow this process, alway give a device a 10 count before powering it up. If you power off and power right back on there is the chance that the issue is still cached.

Out of curiosity, have you tried another browser? This is unlikely as you are experiencing this on two separate machines, but it should be ruled out as a variable.

I’ve been getting some wierd messages today that the server is busy or the page just plain doesn’t pop up. If I wait and try again in a few minutes, all is well!

Tried to reboot both at the same time as well as both computers. No fix. And I waited more than my usual slow 10 count.

I’ve tried Firefox 2, Firefox 3, IE6 and IE7 over both computers

Hmm… that is very curious. So you say you can’t see a few websites, but you can see the rest without trouble. I’m guessing (A) active filtering going on somewhere (B) corrupt hosts file on local © corrupt host file on router

Just a few basics to check first…

1. Reboot everything, including the modem, router, Wifi AP… everything. (I’m sure you’ve done this already.)
  2. Remember, it’s www.galacticawatercooler.com, but forum.galacticwatercooler.com. Make sure you omit the ‘a’ in the middle. I have no idea why we use two different domain names… probably a typo when Chuseandra was signing up for hosting service.
  3. Clear brower cache.
  4. Make sure your wireless router/broadband router doesn’t have some kind of content filtering or parental access control feature turned on.
  5. When you say you can’t access the forums, are you not resolving domain names, or are you getting error back from the server? Can you ping it? If you can ping it, but can’t point the browser at it, then it’s a server error of some kind…

So, check all of that… if resetting it doesn’t help you, and you can’t ping it, then let’s try checking your host file after that.

So, do you normally use this proxy server? Whose proxy is it? What kind of proxy is it?

Probably because rebooting clears the local hosts table on the wireless/broadband router.

I’ve done all that except pinging it and it’s not “A few websites” it’s solely the GWCforum

Proxy is a website proxy, bigstorm.info and I don’t use a proxy regularly.

Error text:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
      moments.

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
      connection.

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
      that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

More likely forward (i.e., post-BSG) thinking.

XP/Vista(I can’t help you)/Mac/Linux(Hooray!)?

Open up command console or Terminal.app, and try

ping forum.galacticwatercooler.com

We are looking for 2 things:

1. That the address resolves fine… it should say 64.22.96.40 somewhere in the result.
  2. That the ping packet does NOT time-out.

XP and Vista

And the ping request is timing out, IP is there though

So the IP is there, which means that it’s not a hosts file corruption, not namserver issue…

This suggests the worst case scenario: Some sitting between you and GWC is filtering the site. Are you sharing the connection with anyone? Who’s your ISP? DSL/Cable?

Also, did you say your laptop and desktop are giving you different errors? Are they consistently different, or are they just random errors?

For what it’s worth, I was getting the same error yesterday. (Vista, tried both on my home network and uni network)

casilda, FYI: if this occured yesterday morning the entire forum was down for about an hour 10am EST.

Really? What happened? I remember the blog went down a few days ago, but I didn’t know the forums were down also!

Yeah this isn’t an ocassional thing Cas, it’s for two straight days unbroken

I share the connection with my step brother but he wouldn’t know how to filter anything.
I use cable, ISP is Optimum Online a division of Cablevision.

On my laptop I get the error I listed, on my desk top I get a “Failed to Connect. Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at forum.galacticwatercooler.com

Can’t ping on either system

Okay, time for a hail-mary: let’s check your hosts file. In your “c:/windows/” directiory, there should be a file named “hosts”. Open it with text editor and make sure it doesn’t say anything about galacticwatercooler.com or 64.22.96.40.

Yeah did that last night =/