i need to fraking thank you all

i saw the serentiy movie, but never watched the original firefly series. All you guys ever did was talk about how shiny it was, so i finally broke down and got the dvd (quite a feat since i’ve been unemployed since thanksgiving) and i just have to say it is awesome, so now i won’t be so lost when you guys are talking about it. And i just have to say that the all out funniest thing i saw (I nearly did fall out of my chair laughing) is when mal say “She’s our witch, and we’re taking her with us” - or something like that, i can’t remember because i was laughing for a good ten minutes. but anyhow, great show.

Heh. I get that reaction a lot when I finally bully someone into watching it. :smiley:

i actually started watching in saturday night around 11pm went till about 5am because i could not stop. then i woke up around 11am sunday and finished it off, including the extra features. :smiley: if i wasn’t so tired i would have watched the whole thing in one sitting. it was fun.

…and now you can watch it with the commentary! The Nathan/Alan War Stories commentary is especially hysterical. I highly recommend it.

Welcome to the 'verse Browncoat. Your Fruity Oaty Bar is in the mail.

I did that with the first season DVD of ‘24’. Before I knew it, it was time to get up and go to work. I was so pumped full of adrenaline, I didn’t crash til 3 in the afternoon then a co-worker kicked my chair and woke me. I almost took his eye out with a pencil. Must of learned that move subliminally. He was like, “Dude, what are you Jack Bauer or something?” and I was like, “Whoa!” A very Ted/Neo moment.

Anywho, TGPA welcome to the 'verse…bla-di-bla…ditto what Solai said.

Welcome, indeed. And that line is one of my favorites as well:

“She’s a WITCH!”

“Yeah, but she’s our witch. Cut her down.”

Following another of my favorites:

“You cannot think to thwart God’s will.”

“See the man hanging out of the spaceship with the really big gun? I’m not saying you weren’t easy to find. It was kinda out of our way, and he didn’t want to come in the first place. Man’s lookin’ to kill some folk. So really it’s his will y’all should worry about thwarting.”

The good news is now that you’re hooked, you can save lots of cash by watching the DVDs over and over again like the rest of us. :slight_smile:

yeah, after i posted this i had to watch the last 15 minutes of the final episode again before i went to sleep. probably some of the best writing i’m ever seen put to film. amazing.

Absolutely. I am also very partial to the line that directly precedes this interchange:

Mal: “What does that make us?”
Joey: “Big damn heroes sir!”
Mal: “Ain’t we just!”

I have always loved the double meaning of Mal’s last line, “Ain’t we just!” That is quality writing.

the firefly seems to have gotten quite an upgrade between the last episode & the movie.

Besides the mule, what are you thinking? I have read they were able to make significant improvements as far as details go, but improvements? Not sure I know what you mean.

So I’m NetFlixing the Firefly DVD’s and watching them for the first time and absolutely loving them! One of my favorite lines has been Mal’s “Mercy is the sign of a great man… (stab) Guess I’m just a good man… (stab) Well, I’m alright”.

But I just finished watching “War Stories” and when then find Mal at the end fighting off Niska’s henchmen and Zoe says “This is something Mal has to do himself.” Mal: “No, no it’s not!” Zoe: “Oh!” (all 3 open fire)… AWESOME!

And WTF! Saffron’s back! OMG, gotta get back!

An ending, perhaps?

if you look at the walls in the cargo bay, in the series there were diagnal patchwork patterns, in the movie they are vertical ribs. also there is a huge circular pie-shaped design on the back wall, where in the original there was the same diagnal pattern. Also, there are vanity panels on the bridge consoles, and the lockers behind the pilot’s seat have been replaced with consoles and flashy do-dads. There was a box on the bridge in the original series with wires poking out of it, gone in the movie. the light on a cord to the right of the bridge door looking back, gone in the movie, replaced with new lighty things and a big green light.

i notice stuff like this, some of it is small, but the stuff in the cargo bay, HUGE mistakes. I know they had to rebuild the sets, but some of this stuff is so obvious. I figure, maybe they got a new ship and kept the name?

maybe i should have said ‘significant changes’

You are totally right on this. I remember reading that there was an idea that was considered that the cargohold was actually modular and could be detached. If you look at some of the shots in Serenity you can see a difference on the outside as well. Ultimately the idea wasn’t used but was infused into the plans.

well did they detach the bridge too? :smiley:

Sure! ehem. They sold the Lasiter and got an interior designer to do a whole “freshen-up” of their look…yeah, that’s what they did!

maybe river didn’t want the guys looking up her skirt while she was piloting the ship?

I bought the Firefly season one set yesterday and I can’t wait to watch the episodes. I am expecting it to be as good as the GWC crew says it is.:slight_smile:

when you’re on the train, wave at the starship troopers. :slight_smile: