GWC Seeks Community Bloggers!

We’ve recently made a few changes to the GWC website, including some tweaks to the blog to fit the new wider content base and to make that content easier to locate. But we have an even bigger plan in mind for the GWC Blog – we want your help blogging!

We’d really like the blog to be less a reflection of just whatever Sean, Audra, and I are thinking about at the moment and more of a reflection of the community as a whole – a source for entertainment news, community fun, and just plain good 'ole GWCness. To that end, we need some help.

Here’re the basics:

1. What happens if I become a GWC Community Blogger?

You’ll write posts which will appear on the front page of the GWC website and will remain available indefinitely via the archive. Even though the GWC site isn’t currently a high-traffic concern, your posts will still be seen by approximately 50,000 unique visitors monthly accounting for around half a million page views. In short: your voice will be heard!

2. What can I blog about?

Darn near anything, though we ask you to keep three things in mind: your audience, spoilers, and GWC’s no-hate policy.

Obviously any kind of news you come across would make an excellent post – new clips of a show or movie, speculative news about movie production, etc. Information about upcoming events would be awesome, as well as coverage of any events you attend.

3. What if I’m a lousy writer or don’t know how to blog?

We’re here to help! We have two experienced blog editors (myself and Audra) who will work through your post before it goes public to make sure there are no grammatical, spelling, or other issues. And we’re happy to help you through any issues with linking, how to approach a post, etc. as well. We also have a third editor coming on soon which will help us make sure that your posts go through edit and come out in a timely fashion – under 24 hours is our goal.

4. How does the process work?

It’s easy! If you’re interested, PM Sean. He’ll set you up a GWC Community Blog account and explain how to log in and get started. Once your first post is ready, you’ll mark it “pending review” and our editors will go through it, help you with any issues, and schedule it for publication. Your post then hits the main site for all to see.

5. What are my responsibilities? Do I get paid? Is there a catch?

While we imagine that this will eventually become a serious news source for the community (and even others), this is meant to be fun. There’s no minimum post requirement; feel free to post whenever you feel like it.

Though regular contributions from awesome GWCers – thankyouthankyouthankyou – now offset about half the monthly cost of operating GWC, we’re still out of pocket for the whole shebang. So sadly we can’t afford to pay anyone for blogging right now. Hopefully down the road the income from advertising, referrals, and contributions will allow us to not only pay for GWC but pour that money back in to help support the community’s initiatives and growth – and maybe even leave us extra to pay bloggers! In the meantime, it’s totally voluntary – just like our work.

There’s no catch here. We simply realized that it’s possible for us to offer you an opportunity to be read by a significant audience. We’re huge fans of the community, and we think anything that puts the community in front of the world is A Good Thing™.

6. Do I have to blog with my real name?

No. We do ask that you blog with either your real name or your forum name just to make things simple, but even this isn’t set in stone. Contact us if you have other ideas.

7. I want to blog! What do I do next?

PM Sean. He’ll set you up and he, Audra, and I will help you through the process. We’re working on a writer’s wiki which will ease the process a bit, and hope to have it ready in the next week or two. But we couldn’t wait to open the opportunity to everyone. We’re really excited about seeing your name in print!

Hmmm…sounds intriguing.

Just to clerify…will there be a minimum requirement of blogging? Like do you want one weekly? Daily? When we feel the urge?

As a side note…did you guys ever, in your wildest dreams imagine when sitting there discussing doing a little podcast about a really cool sci-fi show that it would turn into this?

That was the REAL Cylon plan. Create GWC. I’ll raise my glass to that!

I think this is a great idea :slight_smile:

If I get the ‘gist’ of this… You are looking for good content regardless of topic. Is that correct?

If someone want to write about the “social significance of the Japanesse concert in Virtuality” that would be Ok.
and if someone wanted to write about " why are there so many ways to tie your shoes" that would be OK. (you know what i mean.):slight_smile:

Thought out content. Not just Rants for the sake of the Rants.

is that about it?

(the shoe tieing thing, made me think… I gotta go make a post.)

Does it really take something that diabolical to get you to raise your glass?:stuck_out_tongue:

That is correct.

No sir. That would be awesome.

If it was entertaining and full of sci-fi/fantasy/comic/geek references, it would be OK. If it included pictures of Marty McFly’s auto-sneakers it would be awesome.

You get the gist. Rants are out – they’re more appropriately placed on personal blogs where they represent personal opinion as opposed to that of the community. And as I mentioned above, you’ll want to remember your audience. When asking “Can I post this?” ask yourself, “Would the community care about/enjoy this?” Easy.

This is obiviously some bizarre definition of the word EASY I was not previously aware of.:smiley:

I’m in, but I’ll wait 'til I have something worthwhile to put up.

IYKWIM

baltar

See, I get off my game when GR isn’t on the forums all the time.

Sorry for having to sleep once in a while.

My answer: I also have something worthwhile to put up but I don’t know if you wanna see that on the blog.

Hmmmm. I might be up for doing this. Sometimes I feel like I already do what you said on the forum, but putting it on the blog might be fun as well.

Just a reminder that if you’re serious about this, you’ll want to PM Sean. He’ll get you set up and started. I’ve seen some interest here and on Twitter and I think the whole community is excited to see your work.

Definitely interested. Will have to give it some thot.

This sounds awesome. I’m totally in.

Congrats to Solai who wrote the first community blog post today:

Why You Should Watch Eureka

Rock on!

sorrybarb HIM!!! I just PM Sean, to me set up and that was the actual topic i was gonna hit on…

Thats OK… I got plenty…:smiley: