GWC 3.0: The New Website

As you’ve probably noticed, we made quite a few changes to the GWC website over the weekend. A few thots about that:

When we first started GWC, the website was really just a container to hold the podcast and make RSS feeds available to iTunes and so on, plus a place we could publish a few related posts from time to time, keeping “news” and such on the site instead of in the podcast. In short, it was all about the podcast and me, Sean, and Audra.

But since then things have grown a bit. With over 100,000 posts in the forum, frak parties happening almost every night, and GWCers spread all over the Earth online at all hours it seemed to us that the main landing page for GWC shouldn’t be about us. It should be about what’s really important: you, the community.

So a few months ago Sean and I sat down to consider how to re-design the site to incorporate more of the community. Specifically, we wanted anyone who visited the site to get a sense of how much badass stuff is going on all over – in the forum, in comments on the site, and even elsewhere. What you see over on the main site is the result of our work. Hopefully you enjoy it.

Some final thots:

If you happen to discover technical issues with it – of which I’m sure there are some – please drop me a PM or email and let me know. I’ll try to resolve them ASAP.

After three years and lots of pressure to add a method by which GWCers can donate via PayPal, we’ve done so. To see it, click on the “support” tag at the top of the site. I do, however, want everyone to be completely clear that you don’t have to pay to participate in GWC. People who donate are doing so entirely out of the kindness of their hearts. All content is available to everyone. Period. That said, we certainly appreciate your donations – hell, even the fact that some of you have considered donating is nice – and we have plenty of places to apply them ranging from web/forum/podcast/voicemail service to the National Meetup. 'Nuff said.

I realize that the DTA isn’t really accessible on the new site. The DTA is getting a much-needed re-vamp which will correct the issues we have with the DTA on iTunes. Expect to see the DTA (and other GWC content – woot!) back on the website in the next few weeks.

The store is entirely new. We moved to Zazzle, which offers much better products (and a better deal for us that means we might actually receive a dollar or two when you buy something instead of paying for the service like before). There’s only one product in the store right now, but look for lots, lots more soon. And if you really want an item from the old store, please let us know so we can add it to the new one.

Enjoy. I’m gonna go get some dinner and some sleep.

Plate well, Chuck.

Wonderful job. It really captures all that goes on around here…'cept maybe the gutter…wouldn’t want to scare off anyone. Good choice.

All kiddin’ aside, once again you’ve outdone yourself. Pants off to you!!

GWC ROCKS!!!

The site looks fantastic! It amazes me that you guys put so much work into this, you don’t have to in the least. It’s gratifying to knwo that you appreciate us as much as we appreciate you. (awww it’s a love fest)

I would have 2 suggestions for your consideration in the future.

1. perhaps a guest blogger area? For example, when Solai posted his thoughtful explanation for why he has such a problem with eps 1-3 of the Star Wars franchise. That would have been a really cool blog post. Perhaps have an area on the forums for submissions? I dunno, my idea is a little rough, but I think it would be kinda cool.

2. An area specifically for community suggestions.

Oh one more thing. You & Sean forgot to include your support for Zarek on that page! :wink: just kidding. Again, fantastic site. You guys are stellar.

Wow…what an amazing transformation to the site. As always, you guys ROCK!!!

Thanks for all you do for all of us. Cheers!

Looks cunning.

The new site looks beautiful. I love the summary of material that is available on the forums, the calendar is a really nice touch for anyone new to the site. I also love that you each have your own blog area, but it makes me wonder if you will be doing more blog posts? And the graphics are SWEET.

Very shiny. I like it

So pretty! As usual, you folks rock!

It looks fantastic - even to these tired, old eyes.

I like it very much. :slight_smile: All essential info in one place. And it’s pretty!

Brilliant work!

Really cool:D

In the words of Keanu Reevs

“Whao”

And in the Words of Wayne and Garth

“Schwing”

In the Words of Mr. Lister, Sir.

“That is a very fancy upgrade. I really appreciate it. Thank you very much Chuck and Sean for all your efforts and to you too Audra for being very cool”

Wow. Just. Wow.

I’ll see your “Wow. Just. Wow.” and raise you a winged 'talos

Thank you Chuck, Sean and Audra for continuing to invest in this community that you created the foundation for. We appreciate it tremendously.

Dang, that trumps my full colors.

Seriously, the home site looks prettier and prettier with each new update. Nice work, boys!

I love the changes and upgrades, and very smart-looking.

A really shiny job with the new site. I’ll be spending some time playing with all the bits of it.

Sweeeeeeeeet job reverend.
Lots of stuff, all easily found* in a clean yet not minimalist, supremely interesting layout. Some frakin’ fine design design work.

*tiny critique: the subscribe via iTunes button could possibly use a little more contrast. Missed it the first millisecond I looked for it. That’s all. Beautiful work!

Looks fabulous! Love it!

One question, is the Amazon purchase thingy still working to help funnel some funds to GWC?