Girl Geek Hobbies

OMG! that reminds me of my Halloween costume in '77. I was Princess Leia! My mom sewed the dress and my Dorothy Hamill wedge was pretty long and looked sort of like buns if you squinted your eyes. I won my Star Trek fan club’s best costume award that year. (Wait, should I admit to that? Or does it add to my geek cred?) And yes, my mom rocked!

I just got some Sculpey clay but I’m too scared to bake it in my toaster oven. :eek: I may get a new one and use the old one to bake clay things. Please post tips if you have them.

I do tons of paper crafts (scrapbooking, cardmaking, stamping) and I paint on a pretty regular basis.
I also love playing games online, on the Wii, on the PS2, Xbox, doesn’t matter!
And I blog for my own site plus 3 others.
And yoga/pilates when I have time.
And baking, but I made myself stop because I was the only one eating everything!

OH - that’s why you do what I do and work in an office full of men. They’ll eat anything homemade. :smiley:

It’s all about efficiency, man. :slight_smile: Just change your accessories (lightsaber vs wand, linen kimono vs private school uniform) and the same robe looks different…:stuck_out_tongue:

I dabble in a loooot of things. Reading, writing, knitting, sewing, baking, pixel art, drawing, painting, singing, messing around with different (mostly stringed) instruments, the odd bit of graffiti art (on paper, not walls), origami, papercraft, jewelry “making”, etc. And I’m sure there’s more I can’t think of right now. xD

I like reading (Laurell K.Hamilton-early work, anything about witches, vampires, werewolves, Terry Pratchett Discworld series), translating obscure texts (prophecies, Apocrypha, 16th century Latin, etc), I’m a a herbarium botanist as well, I like to sew (costumes for cosplay & LARPs), and I like to garden (mainly vegetables and ferns, roses, and ivy). I do enjoy bubble baths and curling up with a blanket and book on a rainy day. I also like hot tea and biscuits (cookies). I’m a strange person. I really believe I was born in the wrong country, I’m an old english woman trapped in young american girl from the south body.

In some ways, I’m so not girlie:
-I love sports (especially football- don’t try to talk to me on a Sunday afternoon from Sept to Jan unless the Browns have a bye week!)
-I don’t mind getting dirty.

But I do have a few girlie hobbies:
-I sew. Everything from costumes to wedding dresses to baby slings.
-I crochet. Current project is a queen size afghan in a chevron pattern with orange, brown, and white stripes. (I did say I was a football fan :D)
-I make beaded jewelry.

The rest of my hobbies are gender-neutral, shall we say:
-I read non-stop. Anything. If it has words, I read it.
-I do crossword puzzles, American and British, and sudoku.
-I love music, all kinds- pretty much anything except gangsta rap, death metal, or hardcore country.

I have way more hobbies than I have time for lol.

1. Writing- On the go, I’ve got a fantasy series, a drama/romance novel, and a sci-fi graphic novel.

2. Sculpting- I just recently got into super sculpey. I’m so amazed at the amount of detail it holds!

I just got some Sculpey clay but I’m too scared to bake it in my toaster oven. I may get a new one and use the old one to bake clay things. Please post tips if you have them.

I’m not sure how it’ll do in a toaster oven… Since I just started, I haven’t baked anything except for little eyeballs. The first time they came out black, but the second time they were pretty good. I baked them in a toaster oven but I couldn’t leave them in there for very long… also the baking was a bit uneven… I think a conventional oven’s the way to go.

1. Painting-- I’m doing a rendition of all along the watchtower… maybe I’ll post a picture of it when I’m done.

2. Music-- I play piano but I’m learning guitar

3. Gaming-- Mostly ps2 and nintendo DS. I also love civilization IV.

I guess my hobbies are really quite gender-neutral. I’m such an androgen :frowning:

EDIT: AH! I forgot reading… stephen king’s dark tower series, currently.

You just summed up my love for reading in seven words. :stuck_out_tongue:

I hate wearing my glasses, but I put them on because I get so annoyed if I can’t read anything around me: signs, placards, billboard ads, license plates, etc. :rolleyes: I have to be able to read.

I know your pain.

I’m saving up for laser but then I’ll lose half my friends. Honestly I used to make fun of the only difference between Superman and Clark Kent wsa glasses and a Curl. I no longer make fun of it. I wore glasses for 10 years then I started switching between them and contacts. Some people can’t recognize me with/without my glasses. Weird huh?

Have you seen Mallrats, perchance? There’s a scene where T.S. makes his girlfriend take off her glasses and say, “Lois, I’m Superman.” Anyways, sorry for the tangent, your comment just reminded me of that. Game on.

Actually I’m a huge Kevin Smith fan I have all of his movies.That must be a cut scene b/c I’m not recalling it off the top of my head.

My girliest hobby is scrapbooking. I’m no tomboy, but I’m definitely not good at more traditional girl things like knitting, sewing, cooking. (Did I mention I also suck at housework–why, oh, why did my husband marry me? :D) I can bake pretty well, but I don’t do it often.

I love to read. I actually haven’t read much sci-fi. I’m a huge fan of the Harry Potter series. I loved the LOTR trilogy and actually picked up The Hobbit and The Simarillion after reading it. The Hobbit was readable, but I struggled through The Simarillion (and I have a degree in English so that was a new experience for me). I love Jane Austen’s books–all of them! I also love all of Amy Tan’s books. Oh, Elizabeth Kostovich’s book The Historian is really good–it’s about Dracula. Also, Ken Follett’s Pillars of the Earth and World Without End are excellent.

I also enjoy movies (yay Netflix!), some television. I’m a bit of a TV snob. I don’t watch reality shows except for Survivor and The Amazing Race. I hate most of the “soapy” nighttime shows like ER and Grey’s Anatomy. I have a couple “guilty” pleasusre TV shows (Greek for instance). BSG, LOST and Dr. Who are my current favorites. Oh, and for comedies nothing beats the Big Bang Theory if you are a geek. Samantha Who? is passable and 30 Rock is also pretty good. I love my DVR because I can catch up on my shows whenever I need to or have the time. The only shows I watch live on a regular basis are BSG and LOST. Is

I also like video games (on my DS or the Wii currently). My favorite games are the Legend of Zelda games. My seven year old son is becoming quite a gamer in his own right already.

OK, there’s my somewhat sad list of hobbies. Maybe when the kids are grown I’ll branch out a bit more.

-K

Yea, I think it is. Part of the original beginning of the film, IIRC.

Ummm…not sure if men are allowed in this thread, so if I’m not welcome let me know. :stuck_out_tongue: Just want to say, I love the Silmarillion. Such an epic, almost shakespearen collection of tales. I read it when I was in high school, but I agree it is far from breezy reading. In recent years, instead of re-reading it, I’ve really enjoyed “reading” it as a book on tape (or CD). There’s a audiobook version read by Martin Shaw which is great. Nice thing a reading a book like that in audiobook format is that your brain doesn’t have to get all hung out on how to pronounce everything—instead you just sit back and enjoyed the beautiful names of all the people, places, things …and gods.
Just thinking about it now, makes me want to go back to listen to it again. I’m due for a Silmarillion fix.

Hobbies are a Godsend!

I’m not sure I could function properly without them. For me, reading is probably at the top of my list but I’m also crazy about crafting. Crocheting, Knitting, Baking, Sewing, Movies, Video Games (even though I don’t understand why they had to make Yoshi’s Island DS so frakkin hard!), Yoga, Buying junk at thrift stores and turning it into something awesome… pretty much anything that will please any one of my split personalities. I’ve been into photography for a few years now too so that’s always fun as well.

Welcome aboard, err, Asslee…

Anyhoo, be sure to consider adding your pix to the GWC flickr pool.

What someone with a Y chromosome invading our pool of Estrogenical plotting…GET OUT!!!

OUT THE AIRLOCK WITH YOU!!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

(I see GothicJossMinon’s hand smash down on the airlock control) “Noooooooo” …(voice fades as I fly out the air lock) …"but I know who the final "…(voice all but gone)…(realizes there’s no sound in space anyway so no one can hear me)…(wonder if GothicJossMinion is sa exy, evil cylon like Tory…)…(and my last thot before the life slips from me: I did this exact same bit in another thread. It’s all happened before…)

Maybe you’re the evil cylon if you’ve been put out the cyber airlock before.:stuck_out_tongue: