Fringe

Same. Except that nothing is a waste of time if it involves this orgasmic little gem:

Episode Numero Dos:

I still think Bishop is the best character on the show. I’m curious to see a flashback to the 60s version of himself. I wonder what he was like before he was institutionalized. Was he as erractic? Was he ‘A Beautiful Mind’? I’m guessing his breakdown was a result of experiments or sabotage of an experiment. Someone (Massive Dynamics) wanted to put him away. That much is obvious.

I’m a bit bummed by the ending and the revelation of [spoiler]experiments on his son, Peter Bishop[/spoiler]. I figured they were gonna go there but I was hoping they wouldn’t. Then they [spoiler]flash the image of several clones of the murderer[/spoiler].

I love the science / imagination / faith theme. Reminded me of Leonardo da Vinci.

I cannot stand the character Charlie Francis, he’s the F.B.I. agent who pulls strings for Dunham. Everytime he is on the screen I want to FF. The character has the personality of a bullfrog on sedatives.

I can’t wait for the major arc episodes that are undoubtedly on the horizon.

I thought last night’s ep was better than the first one. One thing I like is that they seem to be mixing the mythology with the one-offs to a certain extent- unlike the X-Files, of course.

I am sort of put off by the leading lady’s tenseness. I can tell that it’s a deliberate acting choice, but I am not loving it.

It’s still got me watching, but I’m not there yet. I agree with everything you said Frak. With Walter, I’m a bit amazed at how fast he’s adapted to the computer technology he’s got now, after being locked away for 17 years. When he went in the institution, the internet was a baby. Plus there have to be more DNA/Genetics developments that he’d need to catch up on.

I think the FBI dude will make a move on Olivia. Had to hate seeing his friend banging her. Plus she needs a love triangle for added complications.

you know S-Buc…If you <3 Starbuck that much I might be willing to share her with you if I can watch /wink

Lol. Anyway. How different was the pilot from the first episode. If I didn’t think the pilot was anything special should I really continue watching this show? Does the show have legs to go more than like 2 seasons you think?

I’ve enjoyed it so far. The whole concept of science progressing so fast mere human’s can’t keep up is fascinating. I especially love the banter between Walter and Peter. And how sweet was it when [spoiler]Peter started singing so Walter could sleep? Aww![/spoiler]

I don’t know… it probably won’t ever live up to BSG or Lost, but it’s fun.

I compare all the dramas I watch to LOST and BSG, my two favorites. This show feels like it’s trying too hard. I like it, kinda, but it hasn’t grabbed me like LOST or BSG. When I watched the first episode of those shows (or X-files or ER) I was hooked. Fringe I’m kinda “meh” about. I’m hoping it grows on me, but if it doesn’t, no biggie, because LOST’s huge, dense mythology is enough to keep track of.

My biggest problem is that JJA seems to have built-in way too many similarities to other shows, in particular, LOST, which he of course created.

i also liked Denethor from LOTR as the crazy old professor guy.
O. M. G. Thank you for helping me figure out where I knew him from! I was too lazy to look him up on imdb. I knew I had seen him before.

did anyone else notice some of Michael Giacchino’s score from Lost during one part?
Yes, and it’s frakkin’ annoying because it feels ripped-off to me. Fine, use Giacchino for this show too, but PLEASE come up with an original score instead of using the same frakkin’ type of music as LOST. {See also my gripe above about JJ Abrams ripping-off too much of LOST and other shows like X-Files.)

I like Walter too. And his son. The female agent reminds me of Poppy Montgomery’s character, Samantha Spade, from Without a Trace. I’m having a hard time getting past that. And yes, the arm was pretty cool.

This show is certainly not short of things about which I need to work hard to suspend my disbelief. So, yeah, Walter’s ability, genius or no, to use today’s technology is kind of mystifying.

I’m really on the fence about this show. It doesn’t have too many more chances to convince me to stick with it. I felt similarly about Terminator its first season but a) Terminator got better with age and b) Terminator doesn’t have an insanely dense and complicated mythology that I have to spend time trying to decode each week. As I said before, the mythology of LOST is quite enough to keep straight.

I just finished watching the third episode.

“Am I required to keep him alive?”

“It wouldn’t have been a very secret experiment if I had.”

“I think it’s time for some intra-cranial penetration.”

“You may also experience an involuntary bowel movement.”

All those lines made me LOL. I loved that the Ghost communication network used Latin.

So far, I am really enjoying all the paranormal topics. The way it is written and the way Dr. Bishop explains it, his familiarity with all the phenomena. He treats it like child’s play and it really sells. Normally the brainiac has to research and solve the problem. Dr. Bishop already knows, he just has to put it together. That’s a great twist on it.

I’ve really enjoyed this show. Lost is my favorite show of all time, and yes the similarities are there. But it’s not that Lost invented those ideas, they are just kick (sorry barb) concepts from scifi that Lost happened to take, mold and own. It doesn’t make them untouchable though (IMO).

I only found a couple parts of the soundtrack that were very close to Lost. One was the rising violin suspense noise and maybe the ambient cello background music. Given that he wrote both scores, I can see how the deviation that another artist would take are minimized making them sound nearly identical. It just doesn’t bother me.

The only thing that bugs me about the show is completely my own problem… I’m a big fan of the skeptical movement that is constantly having to debunk pseudo-science and the damage that people are doing to their lives by believing in some of this gunk that’s out there. There’s a part of me that can’t get over the fear that someone is going to buy into the “science” of the show. Don’t get me wrong, pseudo-science is completely cannon for science fiction… it’s fiction after all. Like I said, it’s a mental hang up of mine that I hear pseudo-science portrayed as fact and want to scream. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll get over it.

:smiley: I totally watched Bionic Woman precisely because of that. And yes, the show was kind of horrifically terrible.

Fringe. I just watched the first 4 episodes, and while I’m somewhat slightly interested in the mystery and the cases, I definitely did not get that ‘oooh, this show is awesome’ vibe at all - I’m already worried that the show takes itself too seriously. I like serious mythology with a bit a humor (see Buffy, Xfiles, Firefly, BSG, Lost, etc…), which is seriously lacking in the show. I know they’re trying with Pacey (sorry, I had to call him that) and his father, and in some scenes, it worked. For the most part though, it doesn’t. Pacey or the dad is no Fox Mulder, that’s for sure. They need to bring in that cow again. Or something. Otherwise, they need to up their mysteries to be so amazing that I had to watch, which is not the case for now.

But, I thought that baby grandfather thing was pretty awesome.

How long do you give a show to get better? I’m still watching, but my husband has already lost interest. I keep worrying that the pattern will be like all the Rimbaldi stuff from Alias and we spend forever not knowing the end game while the episodes center on case and fight scenes. Not sure if I should give up on it or not.

I like the characters and the science is very interesting, but something is missing.

Fringe has been axed here in Melbourne after about 5 episodes due to poor ratings. Is it still going well in the USA?

Nope, still on here as far as I am aware.

Interesting. Time will tell I guess. What network is it on? I know that Fox was big on axing shows for a while there.

As far as I know it’s getting very positive buzz here–lots of front page articles on the entertainment mags. I think the ratings have been OK. I haven’t heard anything about it being in danger yet. gulp

It’s gotten a full year order from Fox so it will go at least the entire season. My understanding is that the Pilot had somewhat lower ratings than they had hoped but that they improved after that.

We’re up to the 3rd episode in the UK. Not sure what the ratings are so far, but I’m glad to say that it’s the tendency here that if a show gets bad ratings it just gets shifted to a later time slot and/or a less presitigious channel.

It’s definitely doing pretty well in the US. I think that quite a few people stay tuned in after House. I’d also say it’s my favorite of the shows that are currently airing that I’ve watched this season.

Here it was up against House (new season) and some other show I can’t remember, but that was a good rater as well

I wouldn’t be surprised if it got axed. I’m still not sure ow I feel about it. Between Heros and Lost, I’m not sure how many more big mysteries I’m n the mood for. What happened to knowing exactly who the bad guys are? I find the characters interesting, but some of the science seems too forced- “Well, looks like they took my research from the 1970’s and went further with it…” every single episode. Enough already!

Sorry, this turned into a mini rant.