"Fitness Club" Thread

hey guys sorry it’s been a while I’ve had a couple family emergencies so I wasn’t able to get on and get this rolling

how’s everyone’s goals coming along?

my goal is X - 15lbs

I’ve been running 3 miles in the morning before work about 4-5 days a week and lifting after work every other day, so far I haven’t lost any weight but that’s because I haven’t exactly been eating as good as I should… :stuck_out_tongue:

hopefully I can get on a track now!

I’ve been keeping up with my yoga, which is good, but I’ve been struggling with doing anything involving cardio - I’m even less in shape than I suspected. Onward ho, nonetheless

i dropped 50 pounds about a year ago. My formula was simple. 1500 calories a day, keeping mostly with low fat stuff. If you eat healthy 1500 calories isn’t hard. And i walked to and from work, and for my entire lunchbreak. this worked out anywhere from 3-6 miles a day, or about 1-2 hours.

Just walking. It was slow, but steady, losing about 1.25 pounds per week. or 5 pounds a month.

I’m trying to drop 15lb or so over the next month or so in time for the soccer tournements starting.
I was about 160lb at the start of last years games and i was kinda slow and out of shape feeling.
Aiming to drop to 140lb and hopefully get improve my cardio a bit more so i don’t feel like death after the frist 15 minutes.

So far things are going OK but i kinda wish i’d given myself a bit more time.

Yeah. Doctors will tell you that you shouldn’t loose more than 2 pounds per week, which means 3 would be pushing it, and your goal puts you losing almost 4 pounds a week for a month.

be careful with that.

if you guys want a nice core building workout, I did this one earlier, I was doing it last year and believe me its harder than you think especially once you get going but its a really great workout

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/best-twenty-minute-workouts

Pushup/Crunch Superset:

Repeat 10 cycles of:

• 10 regular pushups
  • 10 crunches
  • 10 wide pushups
  • 10 crunches
  • 10 tricep pushups
  • 10/10 Left/Right crunches

edit: the key with this is you don’t rest between anything, you essentially rest your arms by doing crunches (though I do regular sit ups) so it kind of doubles as a cardio/strength building workout

don’t worry so much about the weight itself but stamina for soccer, you can still have some extra weight on you and still have good stamina, just focus on cardio and eat healthy then the weight will come off by itself

I agree with Tim here, not only is 4lbs a week not healthy, but its not a realistic goal either and expecting that will only set you up for disappointment, the only time you can really pour weight off like that is if you’re really overweight and you suddenly kick into overdrive early on you’d lose weight fast, but you’re not obese or anything

what are you doing for your cardio exercise?

also how’s everyone’s plans going?

some yoga continues, but cardio continues to be a struggle - mostly because I’m too exhausted from running errands and/or spring cleaning around the house to do anything besides plop down and be a vegetable. I’m hoping once this cleaning stage is over I won’t feel so tired.

sounds like you’re having the same trouble I was

have you tried waking up a little earlier and doing your cardio before breakfast? that’s what I’ve been doing and its the only way I can do cardio now on a consistent basis because my legs are usually too burned out by the end of the day

I know its recommended only to lose 2lb a week and the 15 in a month is sort of the upper point i was aiming for. Its pretty unlikely to be that and i already accept that.
It’s an ideal weight and time period rather than a realistic one. If its half that i’ll be happy. A third, it’ll be a start which’ll hopefully continue over the couple of months of matches.

I’ve been trying to get some long distance running in but thats not really come to pass due to time constraints etc. (Work and families are so time consuming :slight_smile: )
I’ve managed to do some boxing on the Wii and a few other Wii fit things. Also trying to jog to from work home, which is about half a mile maybe, and and what ever i can fit in really.
I’m going to try the work out you posted earlier this week, see how that goes.

Really i should be getting up earlier and trying to do things but myself and sleep have a very strong commitment to each other.

How’s your’sd been going this week?

well I managed to run in the morning 4 days this week and did strength training twice, I was doing great yesterday until one of our vendors sent in a tin full of brownies at work as a gift so…doh! :stuck_out_tongue:

Spouse and I bought tennis racquets last weekend and took them out to hit balls back and forth today - great fun, and I definitely stretched my muscles and got some cardio going. With any luck, we’ll keep it up! :slight_smile:

I’ve been sticking to my diet for the most part this week, with only one or two slipups, but I haven’t worked out in a couple of days. I’m gonna try to get my yoga on tonight and hit the cardio tomorrow. Haven’t been to the gym to weigh myself yet, but I’ll report back with my progress.

I’m recovering from a cold right now :frowning: pretty bad soar throat these past couple days and the cough medicine has been draining me so I haven’t been exercising, though I’m feeling a little bit better tonight hopefully I’ll be good to go again in a couple days

I have walked the mile up the hill every morning before class this week, and back down after. It’s nice to have a little think by myself time.

Fitness is a crucial part of this fanboys life. 6’2 185 lbs. at 7% body fat. I lift six days a week and run twice a week (3-4 miles). I’m actually a personal trainer at a gym in Austin, TX. At times I’ve questioned my status as a geek since I traded vodka, blow and bong rips for the gym. Eghhh. Its a lifestyle decision. For the self proclaimed hottest fan boy in the United States or it’s country of origin my physical fitness is a commitment of the highest order.

Currently at N+28. Weight from last week may have been wrong, and I was using a different scale, but it’s consistency from here on out!

Welcome aboard, philipscheske!

Ironically, I initially parsed your screen name as “Philly Cheesesteak.”

humm, a couple of mornings ago i woke up and my right knee was a couple of times the size it should have been, hurt when i bent it and made a strange creaking noise, not unlike horrormovie floor boards, when i kneel down.
Excercise is not good for me :slight_smile:

On the plus side lost a pound last week. Just have to hope my knee decides to play nice again soon.

hope everyone else is doing well.

well I was able to do some lifting after work today, my soar throat is finally gone totally so I’m going to attempt to start my morning runs again tomorrow :slight_smile: