First Post-BSG Arc: Star Trek Movies

For some time we’ve been saying that we’re going to adopt the arc system we enjoyed so much during the pre-BSG 4.5 off-season once Galactica heads into that good night. But what’s up first?

That’d be a series of Star Trek movie re-watches starting March 28th and leading up to the much anticipated Trek XI.

If you’re firing up the Netflix queue, here’s the current plan:

March 28: Trek II: Wrath of Khan
April 4: Trek IV: The Voyage Home
April 11: Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
April 18: Trek VIII: First Contact
April 25: Trek IX: Insurrection
May 2: Trek X: Nemesis

Then May 8 and/or 9 podcast(s)/events related to the opening of Trek XI.

Note: If you’re thinking “but what about the other movies?” We’re thinking that, too. This will most definitely not be the only or last Star Trek arc we take on. Looking at the hundreds (literally) of 'Trek DVDs on our shelves, this will be the first of many opportunities for us to get our 'Trek on. In the meantime, we hope you’ll join us in getting fully ready for the first new 'Trek content in, well, way too long.

Excellent! I’ve been waiting for the Star Trek arc. And I’m very, very excited about it. Star Trek: Wrath of Khan is the movie that I’ve re watched more than any other movie.
It would also be cool to do an arc specifically TV Star Trek, but naturally, whatever you three are comfortable doing makes sense.
I made this comment a while ago: Star Trek is fundamentally a TV show. So although the movies are awesome, one could argue that the good stuff is in the TV versions of Star Trek. But, I’m excited either way.

I’ll send Scotty up into the Jeffries Tube real quick and have him check the GWC Warp Engines. Wer’re gonna need more power when the Star Trek ARC begins!!!

Let’s just put it this way. I can say with some certainty that over the long time you can expect to keep receiving GWC podcasts there won’t be a TV Star Trek arc. There’ll be many TV Star Trek arcs.

:slight_smile:

We chose movies for this one simply because it happens to lead into the new movie. As strange as this might sound, I think we’ve actually had more discussion around the grill and pool table about the million ways to do 'Trek arcs than there are discussions about it in the forum. (And that’s saying something.)

Seriously, though, it’s going to take far more than one ‘Trek Arc’ to cover the material out there. Hell, it’d be difficult to cover even a single series in one arc.

So yeah. More 'Trek.

Star Trek I am swooning.

You’re a good man, Chuck.
(Except you’re not such a good man for talking about grilling to me—poor, poor me --my grill has been snowed in since December—except on Thursday we did have 45 degree day and I grilled me some burgers. It was sweet!!!)

should be interesting. I never saw Star Trek.

Yeh, I am totally looking forward to this. It is interesting that there are several people who are new to Star Trek (or at least the movies). We have heard Audra talk about recently watching them for the first time and I can’t wait to hear more. Most of us probably saw these for the first time when we were much younger. I bet she has some great insights into these films. :slight_smile:

Welcome Khaled to the ranks of the posted. Hope to see ya around. :smiley:

AWESOME! Going to double check which movies I have and which I need on netflix.

Well, March 28 doesn’t exactly fall on the same day, but
March 29th is very important anniversary for the GWC Forum.
An historical day. A day that should be remembered.
Can anyone guess what it is?

Awesome to see you 'round these parts, man!

How about Star Trek the Motion Picture? It is a very deep film, and my personal favorite. It is certainly better than some of the other films on your tentative schedule.

We’re a fan of all the movies, and I’m sure we’ll make our way around to them all eventually!

<continues to cross his fingers for an Automan arc>

Speaking of which does anybody else remember The Phoenix?

//youtu.be/9SASkqWyn40

Sorry to thread drift, but the actor did later appear in TWoK and ST:TNG so there is relevance…

I am glad you included Nemesis! I liked it more than I thought I would and I think it is worth watching once more.

Really looking forward to this, though TBH, I don’t like the order. Getting through of all the “good ones” first will make it almost a bummer to come back to them later. I’d prefer going chronologically, maybe the first 6 in an arc. That gives you 3 good and 3 not so good films to discuss, and leaves some good ones for later. Plus, I think the discussions on TMP, 3, and 5, will be entertaining enough that there’s no need to skip over them and break the order, especially since the first 6 actually have a decent amount of continuity. Just my two cents.

Hoping for a lot more trek arcs later too! Each series is worthy of a good arc of its own, (except for Enterprise…)

Welcome aboard, numberThirtyOne.

I’m also in complete agreement.

I’m most excited for the post-BSG discussion, and this seems like a great start (except for Insurrection, even if Dr. Otto Octavius’ wife is in it, but we’ll get to that later).

freakin sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

are there enough Automan episodes for a arc ?? :D:D