First Post-BSG Arc: Star Trek Movies

Phil! I totally remember Phoenix. I remember being into it and it was cancelled after one season (or less). The actor was also in Wrath of Kahn as Kahn’s BFF. Never saw much of him other than that. Maybe now that BSG is almost done, Ron Moore will reinvision that failed series too. Good times.

Really looking forward to the Trek arc. I’ll try not to let my BSG mourning get in the way of my love for Star Trek.

Excellent! That said, I’m torn about skipping the (dreaded) odd-numbered films this go 'round. Still, that leaves 'em yet to do down the line. They’re not as bad as their reps; even V!

freakin sweet!

Why would we skip III but do II and IV? They are all tied so closely together that it doesn’t make sense to me. I would rather had had III and skipped IX.

Oh well… gonna pop in II in the DVD. Should be good since I just redid my surround sound.

I guess i’m going to have dig the VHS tapes out of the closet. Can’t wait.

Amusingly, my local library has all of those on dvd for me to watch at my liberty. Except IV. What’s up with that?

Did you check the Comedy and/or Oceanography sections of your library? :wink:

I just purchased the entire original movie collection at Hastings for $29.99!!!:smiley:

'bou to get our Trek on b*tches!!!

As a non-Trek person, I’m very excited for this arc. I’ve seen Kahn and Voyage Home, but everything else will be new. I think the newness will help me recover from the end of BSG.

The library copy of Khan is now in my possession :slight_smile: unfortunately they only have TMP on VHS, and there’s no VCR to be found around this house…

I cannot frakking wait to hear the GWC crew take on Star Trek! Hooray and huzzah! Hip-hip-tally ho! <g> A bit surprised/saddened we’re not doing III this time around so as to hit all of the “Genesis Trilogy” but oh, well – it should still be a great time.

So can we post comments about TWOK here already, or should we wait until the cast?

can’t wait - this was the movie that made me a fan…

Just watched Star Trek II. This one may require a whole separate 'cast for The Audra Hair Report.

I noticed an odd fashion thing the other night, maybe b/c this is the first time I’ve watched the film in high def: Saavik has an earring in her left ear, but not her right. Huh.

Didn’t say it was an important thing. Just something. :slight_smile:

We better not cut out unimportant things or we wont have much of a forum or podcast. Do you think they will discuss if Kahn is “evil” or “Evil”?

LOL!

I was also noticing again (so not due to HD this time!) that too much of the Enterprise crew and all of Khan’s followers are lilly-white. This movie really shows that it was made in southern California, with all those white beach dudes and dudettes. Thankfully, there is a smattering of more racial diversity among the Regula 1 staff – but, of course, almost all of them end up dead (whoops, spoiler alert).

Also, my biggest gripe with TWOK is that there is no advance set-up for Spock’s death. Not even in the “director’s cut.” So we see the intermix chamber for a few seconds – no discussion of what it is, no exchange like –

KIRK: Scotty, I don’t recall seeing the blueprints for this in the refit plans.
SCOTTY; Och, sir, that’s the Very Dangerous ™ Intermix Chamber, where we can restart me poor bairns in an instant, but of course we’ll never have to do that…

Etc. :slight_smile:

Anton Chekhov’s dictum about the gun applies! If you have a gun go off in Act III, you’d better frakkin’ well have had it on the mantlepiece in Act I. (And, yes, I do believe Chekhov used the word “frakkin’”) :slight_smile:

Oh, well. For all its flaws, and there aren’t that many, it is still my All Time Favorite Movie. Can’t wait for the podcast!

Can we have a spoiler/no spoiler thread for the movies? Some of us haven’t seen them before. Or at least standardize the what to talk about when (if not that’s fine, but I’d just like to know so I can avoid things if need be).

Haven’t seen this movie in so long. Really looking forward to it.