Fiber Arts

As some of you may know, I’ve been crocheting for more than 20 years. I also recently taught myself to knit. The geek connection: My current project is a Season 12 Doctor Who (Tom Baker era) scarf, like this one:

I’m using a pattern from Witty Little Knitter, and since I’m allergic to wool, a nice soft acrylic yarn.

My progress:

This is gonna take a while.

I’ve also knitted and crocheted Jayne hats.

I know other folks on here are also into fiber arts like knitting, crocheting, needlepoint/cross stitch, sewing, dyeing, spinning. Let’s chat about it!

Man, I’ve always wanted a Baker scarf. I really need to take up knitting.

Social Knitworking is a fun podcast about… well pretty much this.

I got to stop scanning over the posts so fast, I thought it was a compound word for something else you had done for 20 yrs.

crocheting
:smiley:

That is frakkin sweet. Have you done the infamous Jayne Cunning cap yet? :cool:

The cool thing about this scarf is you only have to learn one stitch. It’s very simple. It’s just very long, and thus will seem to go on forever. And I’ll check that cast out! Thanks!

snort

That is frakkin sweet. Have you done the infamous Jayne Cunning cap yet? :cool:

Yup, I’ve done both a knit version (which I ended up not liking and subsequently scrapped it) and a crocheted one (which just needs a pom pom). I’m not crazy about the yarn I used, tho, so I forsee another attempt in the near future.

Here’s a pic of my current progress:

Wow Rach that scarf looks beautiful! How long is the finished version supposed to be?

(~waves~) Cool to find other fiber people here. I’ve been a knitter for more years than I’m gonna admit to here, and I’ve taken up spinning (including alpaca fiber!), occasional crochet, and even (thanks to the hubs, who thought a lucet would be a cool stocking stuffer) lucet cording. I haven’t knit a Jayne hat, but I have knit cool Viking baby hats for a friend’s tykes.

That counts as geekery, right?

Are you on Ravelry.com?

Squeaker would look awesome in a viking hat…

Judging from the picture I saw posted, Squeaker would look awesome in just about anything. She’s a beautiful girl.

But hint duly noted.

Will consider once I’ve gotten further along in present projects–I imagine warm woollen hats aren’t all that popular in Texas in the summertime, right?

I saw Rachel’s handiwork up close and personal at the meetup. This scarf is going to be awesome! :smiley:

It will be over 10 feet, at least. I’m at 75% right now and it’s over 7 feet.

Those are OSSIM! LOL! And yup, I sure am on Ravelry! I’m Apollymy on there, too!

Aw, thanks!

And a more updated pic:

I’m actually a bit further than this, now. I finished that green stripe-o-death, and have 2 rows of the red done. I’m at 77.3%.

Wow, it looks fantastic. :slight_smile:

With that length, is it flexible enough to be used…let’s say like a whip when you’re in a dire situation? :wink:

A friend has tried to teach my wife to knit, but my wife’s biggest issue getting into knitting is that she doesn’t think she has any time to knit. I keep telling her that she can knit watching TV, riding in the car, all sorts of places if she really wants to…

I am gonna ask for a Who Scarf for christmas, and see if actually having a project gives her some more incentive…

Thanks for the links…

(if she doesn’t, i am gonna be forced to learn to knit, just so I can make my own a scarf…:slight_smile: )

Why not? Men shouldn’t be discriminated against, any more than women who enjoy car repair or carpentry or plumbing. The first knitting guilds were men-only, after all. Here’s a book to get you started.

I find that when people say “I don’t have the time” it sometimes really means “I don’t want to.” It’s a socially acceptable reason to say no. And if she’s not interested, that’s fine. If she would like to learn, it might be helpful to reassure her that yes, when you’re starting out it takes a lot of concentration and feels frustrating and you might not feel like you’re getting anywhere. But very, very soon the hands learn the motions and you find you’re able to knit while watching tv, while sitting in a waiting room, while chatting with friends, on long car trips or subway rides. My favorite story about finding the time to knit was a woman who knit on a long bus ride to and from work. The bus had a regular ridership, and her fellow passengers would ride back and forth on the bus, while the woman knitted merrily away and eventually completed a sweater. One of the passengers, who had basically spent the bus rides staring out the window and watching the woman knit, remarked “I would love to knit, but I don’t know where I’d find the time!”

LOL! It will be by the time it’s done!

It really isn’t hard, especially this scarf. It’s garter stitch, which is just knitting all rows, so you only have to learn one type of stitch. Knittinghelp.com has some very easy to follow videos.

Yup, we do indeed have a guy in our knitting guild.

I find that when people say “I don’t have the time” it sometimes really means “I don’t want to.” It’s a socially acceptable reason to say no. And if she’s not interested, that’s fine. If she would like to learn, it might be helpful to reassure her that yes, when you’re starting out it takes a lot of concentration and feels frustrating and you might not feel like you’re getting anywhere. But very, very soon the hands learn the motions and you find you’re able to knit while watching tv, while sitting in a waiting room, while chatting with friends, on long car trips or subway rides. My favorite story about finding the time to knit was a woman who knit on a long bus ride to and from work. The bus had a regular ridership, and her fellow passengers would ride back and forth on the bus, while the woman knitted merrily away and eventually completed a sweater. One of the passengers, who had basically spent the bus rides staring out the window and watching the woman knit, remarked “I would love to knit, but I don’t know where I’d find the time!”

That’s funny! I knit everywhere, especially in front of the tv.

I would only be interested in making this scarf…but that is probably a good enough reason…

My Wife, has said and keeps saying that she wants to knit. Silly me, I take her at her word.:slight_smile:

We’ll see how it all turns out. I have no issue with myself Knitting, or cooking or baking or wearing pink or anything like that…as long as my wife has no questions regarding my “orientation” i think I am doing OK. :smiley: and the rest of the world can just Sod off. ( I’m not British but that is a stunningly useful phrase.)

I will keep you posted on our/her/any progress…

So, how goes it with the Dr. Who scarf?

The knitting is done, and the fringe, but I need to block it and weave in the ends!

I used to crochet, but I haven’t done it in years. I really should pick it up again, I remember feeling very, very zen while I was doing it.

Congrats and well done! I’m knee-deep in a baby blanket of, unfortunately, cotton blend (baby due in NV in July so lightweight is key). And next on the queue is a summer top, also cotton. Then I’m returning to sproingy wool and never looking back.