Eve Online

Hi Folks,

Just got into the podcast about a month ago. However as a sales rep I spend many many hours in the car so am just about caught up! (ish).

I couldn’t help but notice that Chuck and Shuan mention Eve Online a few time during the shows.

I have an Eve Online account that is active but I have not been on for a while as my crew split due to work commitments.
Is there a GWC group on Eve? Would love to get back into the game but am a relative newbie.

Cheers

Fozza

EDIT : GWCers That Play EVE can be found in game either by join the GWC Channel just put in “GWC” or by going into people tabs and looking up the names below.

Fozzadan
Veda Shakti
Delin Arekma
Gavyn Lumier
Steve VonRechnungswesen
Rusty Shackelford
Tre Nummar
Commander Declan
Rikus Stark
Rannock Drayden

Welcome aboard Fozza. I don’t believe there is a group currently (correct me if I’m wrong, people) but I suspect there soon will be. Stay tuned.

I be playing. Probably going to open up a second account so I can get my older character training again as well in addition to the one I just rolled up last week.

I have scene Eve around for years but have never tried it. Sounds like fun and the community has yet to give a bad suggestion but I would like to know more from those who have played it. It looks like a bit of a commitment (having to pay a subscription, not to mention the time commitment) so I would appreciate some reviews. It sounds like, if there is enough players, a lot of fun is to be had with online family. :wink:

FWIW, I’m having a great time with Eve. It’s an incredibly deep game, so if you’re not into digging in and figuring things out, you might not enjoy it. (Of course if you ARE into that sort of thing, it’s totally for you.)

As Sean points out in his sweet blog post, there aren’t “levels” in Eve. Your character can learn skills – even while you’re not playing, though some skills can take months or even years to learn – and those skills enable your character to fly specific ships, operate specific hardware, or even gain specific advantages in various situations.

As Sean says, what you do with the equipment and skills is totally up to you.

I’m not really an expert, but it seems to me that Eve offers even more of a balanced playing field among skill, equipment, and actual game play than other MMOs. For example, if you pit a highly-skilled (in-game) pilot against a low-skilled pilot in the same ships with the same equipment, it’s likely that the highly-skilled player will win… unless the low-skilled pilot really knows how to fly. In which case, well, things might turn upside down.

As far as I can tell – and I’m certainly not claiming to BE this – the best and most successful pilots are a) those who have taken the time to create a ship fit and skill set that works, b) have learned to play that setup to the max, and c) understand as many as possible other options so they know who they’re fighting.

Another thot: Unlike most any other MMO, there’s on “PvP area.” When you undock you risk losing it all at any point. Sure, high-sec areas are protected by Concord (think Eve Police), but if you do stupid things there, you can end up dead – OK, podded or back in your clone vat. Even living in high-sec means learning the rules and using them to your advantage.

That said, I’ll reiterate that I’m getting a big kick out of it.

EDIT: Another plus – you can try the game for 15 days for free. If you go month-to-month it’s $15/mo.

Thanks Chuck I was going to write a review but you kinda summed it up.
(oh and thanks to whoever Moderated my post to the correct folder :slight_smile: )

It is a deep game and that can be off putting at first. However if you get together with a good crew that have some experience and that can answer your noob questions (of which I had many!) then it is a fantastic experience.

Is it worth posting a sticky and seeing if we can get something going?

Oh I should say that the reason I got into Eve was that it reminded me alot of the Elite games by David Braben. I lost many many hours to these as a youngster.

Had my first fleet experience last night. It ended gloriously. Tons of fun. Best of all, I didn’t lose a single ship :smiley:

Yeah, I am still in the, “This is really, really, really, really complicated” phase after two days. I am constantly getting lost…screaming at the computer trying to complete these stupid missions where I have to use the autopilot to jump…then remember to manually go to the end location only to find there is nothing there. The mission says, “Go here” and I am here and there is nothing. I jump from planet to planet and the ship just looks at me funny.

I am finding this to be an exciting mixture of being counter-intuitive and stupidly complex.

Is this more of a flight simulator game than other mmorpg? Are there any other games that you guys would compare his to?

Definitely not a flight simulator. Cannot really think of an MMO that it is similar to in its complexity, however, when you get right down to it you still have tanks and healers and DPS. The beauty is, you can do any of those once you get the right skills. Fortunately there are a ton of resources on the Internet that will help you figure out what you need to get going down the right path.

I just reactivated my EVE account tonight. I am an old timer in terms of EVE (played since beta 3 up until 2007). I must say much has changed in 2 years, and despite being a hardcore pvper from back in the day (and I good one I must say :stuck_out_tongue: ), now I totally feel like a lost new player. Cya guys in space my name is: Cowboy

I actually had my first PvP experience a few nights ago with Juan from around these parts. I won’t pretend we’re good at it. Truthfully we’re the n00bist of n00bs still trying to learn what to train and fit and how to use it. But I can now see why PvP is so much fun. It’s a rush knowing that there’s another unpredictable person driving that ship!

This is what happened – and Juan can jump in to correct me if I mis-remember anything:

Juan and I were mid-sec ratting – which, BTW, turns out to be a LOT more fun than mission running – in a couple of frigates. Juan was in a Rifter, I think, and I was in an Incursis. We’re in 0.4 and just moving from belt to belt taking out NPC cruisers. (Earlier in the night with Steve and Sean with us we were lucky enough to come across a BS rat. Fun!) There was one other player in local, so we kept expecting trouble. Eventually we got it.

Right near the end of a cruiser battle, in jumps the other player in a cruiser. He jammed Juan but hadn’t fired yet, so we kept focus on the NPC. Incredibly, the player opened fire on Juan right as the NPC popped. So we both swapped focus to him.

Again, we’re pretty simple n00bs. The reason this ended well for us was that whomever was driving the cruiser had an even more foolish plan than ours. He got in surprisingly close to me before he opened fire on Juan, which meant I could web him and immediately open fire from in close. Juan ran in, and that was pretty much it for his guns. He jammed Juan on and off, but left me alone for whatever reason. We were both pretty much putting in damage. We got about halfway through his armor (and I scram’d him to keep him from running) before he switched on a repper. Then it was an almost even fight as far as we could see, us doing a little more damage than he could rep, but him doing virtually none to us.

When he deployed drones we thought we were done for, and Juan started attacking 'em. But they turned out to be ECM drones. They jammed me, which meant I lost my scram, and he ran.

We were shocked. We fully expected to get our asses kicked! We got a friendly “good fight” in local and returned it. We continued ratting through the rest of the belt, but didn’t see more of him. I was sure he’d go back, grab some combat drones, and take us out for good. But nope.

This was easily some of the most fun Juan and I have had in Eve, superseding only slightly the NPC BS kill earlier in the evening. I think I’m finally beginning to understand a key component to the Eve 'verse:

Don’t undock with anything you’ll mind losing.

When I first read that, I thought “Oh yeah. Sure. I get it.” But I didn’t. Like everyone else, I raced for the biggest ship I could sit in. I wanted bigger guns and more gear. At first I was put off by those “bastards” who’d flip my can, attack me in high-sec, etc. I guess what I’m saying is that knowing that there’s no safe are in Eve and understanding it are two really different concepts.

For example, mid-sec ratting in a ten million ISK cruiser? Hope you’re the baddest ass around – and have friends nearby. That’s some cash to piss away for a new player if (more likely when) someone more knowledgable shows up. Mid-sec ratting in a <1M ISK frigate? Fun! So you lose one every now and then. So what. It’s part of the learning experience.

Mining in high-sec in a Hulk? That 80 mil of bling over a Covetor just a) makes you a prime target 'cause a Hulk gank killmail is “cooler” than a Covetor gank 'mail, b) won’t do you any good at all defending against an organized gank because they’ll just bring more friends, and c) can’t do enough mining in a short period to make up the 80 mil. OTOH, a 20 mil Covetor can haul in enough ISK in a couple of ops to pay for itself – so gank away!

Jet-can mining? Leaving your ore sitting in a belt unsecured is the functional equivalent of throwing $50,000 in an open shoebox, dropping the box in the middle of the street in a bad neighborhood, and coming back tomorrow to pick it up. Chances are it’ll be gone. Easy answer: grab a second account and keep your hauler on-site. Unless you respond to can-flippers, you’re pretty much safe. And regarding ganks, see the previous paragraph.

Bottom line: I’m really starting to enjoy this game. :slight_smile:

Wow, the creators must be complete geniuses to create a game in such a way you want to buy another account.

This sounds insanely complex, I think I’ll need a special dictionary just to understand fully. I think I’ll jump in and give Eve a try this weekend.

Jetcannin ain’t that bad Chuck. I’ve only had a couple of bad experiences with it and it’s paid far more than I’ve lost.

Wow, I am really impressed with this game. I can now see what Solai was talking about but I think in a way it makes the game a little more realistic. I just started today so I am very green. So far I am having a great time but it may be a while till I try PvP.

Here is my first character:

Name…Veda Shakti
Gender…Female
Race…Minmatar
Bloodline…Sebiestor
Ancestry…Tinkerers

See ya guys out there!

Damn Carebears…:stuck_out_tongue: I seriously think I mined a total of 3 hours in 4 years of playing. I sometimes mission ran for cash but mostly relied on donations from people. Back in the day I was apart of the ‘Celestial Apocalypse’ Corp in a sea of pirate corps and gate campers we tried to ‘role play’ the “white hats,” it was great because we used to pick fights with alliances (before they were actually in game) or corps who condoned piracy from it’s members or just gate camped. There would be weeks when we had 25+ corps war dec’ing us. Nothing gets your blood flowing more then the site of red boxes. Our dream came true once alliances were introduced that was when the real fun started. It’s nice to see CCp still has the link up to the video we made This was back when nobody really made battle videos, yours truly and my mega are in the video, but our staring role is in the 2nd battle at the 3:00 min mark…lol) http://www.eveonline.com/download/videos/?type=5

The satisfaction came from the “thank yous” we would get in local after busting a gate camp for mission runner or miners. People would actully give us isk and equipment.

I hate to sound like I’m bragging or boasting but I was one of the best frigate PvPers in the game at one point ;). My claim to fame came when we were fighting a pirate allience (Foresaken Allience). Our corp was Euro heavy so the North American pod jockeys were normally outgunned at night and had to be creative when we fought. Anyway, one night I was hunting in a tricked out Tristan. Back in the day I was able to fit 2 125mm II Railguns, a rolled tungsten plate named WC disruptor, webber, armor rep and 2 drones.

It’s been awhile so I don’t remember the system, but I jumped into an Interceptor/frigate ambush. It was a 3 vs 1 at first (2 crows and an Incursus)) against my Tristan. during the fight I was able to knock out 1 crow and the Incursus before I had to jump (this was back when there was no aggro timer). I was in bad shape so I warped to antother gate with I was able to get my armor back up when the 2nd Crow, a Rifter and a Kessy showed showed up. I was way off the gate I figured I was screwed so I popped drones and engaged. I was able to pop the Kestral with the 125s and I sic’d my drones on the webbed Crow. Once the kessy was done I was able to take out both the Crow and podded the Rifter pilot. Now let me tell you I’m a retired Police Officer some of the dangerous real life situations I have been in have not got my heart racing like those engagements. In the end I was in structure but I killed 5 bad guys total (including 2 Interceptors), with my Tristan. Like Chuck’s fight “GF” were exchanged in local. Crappy thing was after that they would run from me if there were only a couple of them in system and they did not have decent firepower. Although before people caught on to my set up, I was even able to take out a Thorax (blaster set up) with that Tristan.

I’m hoping that I can recapture some of that fun now that I have re-activated my account although A LOT has changed in terms of PvP and I’ll have to relearn a lot.

Sorry for the long ramble, but man I used to love Eve…:cool:

Crap I just logged on for the first time a long time and i’m in a player station in the ass-end of 0.0, with people who will prob kill me. My ships are there including the ship they gave to 5+ year old characters…lol

Man you are so frakked

So got myself a trial, got my system runnin stable. And now I’m hooked. Fraaaaaaaaaak

Delin Arekma
Gallente

Send me a mail or hit me up on twitter if you want to hang

Holy crap, I did not realize how epic the epic mission arc(s?) are. I just did like 8 missions and finished…PART ONE. Of like EIGHT. Holy craaaaaaaap.

It’s not hard and my drone buddy is awesome sauce vs other drones but still I did not think it would be this long. I’ll probably be rockin a destroyer by the halfway point, cruiser by the end