Enterprise discussion

Yeah I thought that was good too… I actually caught in after I had stopped watching the show, heck one day I will try and catch the finale.

yeah, the mirror episode definately is one of the best… unlike other strek mirror episodes, the Enterprise one didn’t try to protray anyone giving into the ideals of the Federation. It was just blood bath to the end!

I’d say that’s the problem with B&B, instead of Star Trek.

well look at pre-b&b. Let’s look at TOS

What kinda development was ever done on Bones. He is a star on the show… not an extra. he’s no Sulu or Checkov. He get’s the episode where he thinks he is going to die. We see his character acting the same way often. We never hear about his past, and he never develops any further. (in TOS)

Kirk is THE star. We get a few episodes about his past and a lot of one line dialog. Spock has loads ( cause he is the alien) Bones gets really none.

BUT to be fair this was 60’s television and was episodic. Too much character development was frowned apon. Shows were expected to be accessable to an audiance every week as if it were a first viewing. Be thankful for the little we got. Mostly what you get is subtle anyway. Done in a fashion that if you wtched often you tend to infer character development instead of the newer series where it is done overtly.

Character development in TOS:

Uhura- in the Man Trap we learn she is from africa and speaks swaheli. In The Savage Curtain we learn that she doesn’t get offended by being called a Nigress. That’s it for Uhurah

Sulu gets the Naked Time. never again in TOS do we learn about his past or his wishes and dreams.

Checkov- we learn that he is russian and proud of it, we get the hippy episode with his ex, and we learn that he is doesn’t have a family in the episode , the changling. He acuses Klingons of killing his family… but Sulu says that he doesn’t realy have one.

Scotty- gets a decent amount of screen time, and he get’s some great moments, and even an episode where is his accused of rape and murder. But nothing about his past other than he likes to drink, is scotish, and likes all things scotish.

Hell, Nurse chapel get’s a few episodes- but that’s because she was blowing the boss.

So really my beloved TOS is as guilty as the TNG. Can’t blame it on B&B. Just have to blame it on writers who would rather tell the story of T’pol as a junior officer than tell us why we should like Travis ( cause they never did)

I am pissed about Malcolm. They make him a Section 31 oppearative… but he isn’t a bad ass. That really pisses me off.

When I say B&B I don’t just mean Brannon Braga. I meant Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. I wouldn’t call TNG B&B.

On TNG, every one had character developement. Many episodes were Data and Worf centric, but even Picard, as expereinced and wise as he is, has plenty of opportunity to grow, for example, the episode Tapestry. I’d say Gordi was featured a lot as well. The only person that didn’t change that much was Riker, but even that’s arguable.

In the short span of TOS, like you listed, many characters got their own episode. The same can not be said about Enterprise. Though, there were more character development for Kirk in the movies.

That is drastically different from what happens in later portion of Voyager and Enterprise, when B&B took over. Some characters are sidelined so much, they might as well be a redshirt. Like travis, hoshi, reed (who saw redemption in the section 31 arc), and even Archer.

I’m late to this party, but I thought Ennerprise generally suct, for reasons previously stated.

The green-gel scene in the first episode was an awesomely terrible portent.

They shoulda kept it. Maybe come up with a wrinkle where the bio-scan only worked on humans so far, so only T’Pol had to be rubbed with green jelly every time they transported. Kidding. Partially.

My ultimate pet peeve was in the finale of season 1 or 2, when they time travellers devastated Earth, and Archer was left there. Come on, seriously: Were we supposed to spend four months worrying that the Earth culture had been destroyed, and that they entire history of Trek was therefore eliminated? Or was there maybe some chance Archer would set things right? Geee…

I pretty much stopped watching at that point. Until the show’s finale. Urgh. As they say on Malcolm in the Middle: poopy.

I’m amazed at the lack of imagination in Hollywood.

You could have a whole bit where Trip (was it? It’s been a while) had to rub down T’Pol after every landing. Sexy at first, but eventually tiresome. He grows to resent being sent down with her. UNTIL he’s sent down with Malcom.

Or whatever. Hollywood writers tend toward the stupid and/or tame.

that would have been funny

So I’ve started watching Enterprise, I’m up through disc 3 of the first season, and about 2 episodes ago they introduced the concept of the Temporal War. Without having seen more, I think the idea is really cool. Archer’s an OK character but I don’t have the same affection with him that I have for Picard, or Sisko, or Janeway (or the same whatever it is for Kirk). Hoshi’s perhaps my favorite so far. I like T’Pol a lot, and the storylines in general about the Vulcans - one of my favorite episodes so far was the Andorian Incident (where there’s the Vulcan temple that’s really a spy center).

I can see why some people didn’t latch onto it, but I’m enjoying watching Enterprise so far. I’m waiting for the next disc to come from Netflix… :slight_smile:

glad you are enjoying the Vulcan arc, it get awesome. Push away your knowledge of how Vulcans are supposed to be. These aren’t your 24th century vulcans. How they got there is the best part of the entire series.

yeah…cuz that stopped being hot when? :confused:

That is a great episode. It was interesting because it created tension and suspicion of the Vulcans, a favorite and popular culture with fandom.

[spoiler]Too bad they never went there again.[/spoiler]

I was not a fan of the Temporal War. OK. You’ve decided to do a prequel. This could be cool. Show us all the cultures we already know (Klingons, Romulans, Andorians, Vulcans, etc.) and what it was like to meet them. How was the Federation formed? And the Romulan War! This could be interesting. Then it was Temporal War. UGH, a threat from the future. LAME!

[spoiler]We never did find out who that freaky fuzzy transmission dude from future was, did we?[/spoiler]

I found Enterprise episodes tend to get a whole letter gradde better on second viewing. A lot of what was wrong with Enterprise wasn’t what was there… it was found guilty of being what it was not.

I think it is hte best looking trek and i like Archer, Trip, Tpol… and Phlox A LOT!. I like Hoshi and could give a crap less about Travis and Reed.

So now I’m about halfway through the second season. There have been some really great moments but as a whole I’m still not as 'in" to Enterprise as I was with DS9, TNG, or Voyager. I see what you guys meant about not getting my hopes up about Hoshi, though one of my favorite episodes so far was the one where she’s stuck in the transporter pattern buffer. I respect T’pol more and more every episode! Trip reminds me a lot of Kirk (maybe it’s because I just watched the episode where not only does his shirt get torn in a fight (!), but he also gets the Princess First Monarch lady). I feel like it’s starting to get more into its stride, though, this past disc hasn’t had any moments with me being slightly dismayed (when I thought they killed Travis… ugh.)

But it’s fun. yay Trek! :slight_smile:

As people here have said the 3rd and 4th season were where this show got some traction. Granted it took a real war to get them there. The only thing that bummed me out was the Trip T’Pol storyline. Bad enough they way they were treating each other. Then to see what happens to Trip, that was just too much of a downer. Was hoping they would have left an opening for a movie.

That makes me happy to keep watching, as the whole Vulcan/Federation interaction seems to be a big point of the show during at least the first season.

I’m hoping eventually we see more Romulans. 22 episodes in and have yet to see a single one. Empire what?

I seriously dug the Swindon Soongh arc and the ways it tied into (and augmented) the original series and even DS9.

I’ve now seen through “Twilight” in season 3.

Seasons 1 and 2 aren’t the best Trek ever, indeed they have a number of weak episodes, but I wouldn’t call them bad. They just aren’t as compelling as some of the other series.

The Xindi are quite interesting at this point (I like that they aren’t one monolithic bad guy like the Dominion or the Borg), but the whole Delphic Expanse bit is reminding me a bit too much of Voyager and Species 8472 for me to really get into it.

T’pol’s definitely my favorite. And while Hoshi isn’t living up to the promise of her character at the start of the series, she’s had some excellent moments (I particularly enjoyed “Exile” even though I found parts of it difficult to watch. but hey, most of my favorite Trek episodes are difficult to watch… “Duet,” anyone?)

Certainly, the first 8 episodes of season 3 have had a lot more action in them!

The more I watch Enterprise, the more I like Archer. But I definitely agree that for the most part, Season 1 and 2’s characters are pretty cardboard. I’m 3/4 of the way through seaosn two and Hoshi is STILL unsure of herself and Trip’s consistent gag is STILL that he’s getting space-babe action.

I’m definitely starting to get more interested in T’pol, who seems to be breaking down a bit.

[spoiler]Plus, the whole thing with the Mind-Melders at the interspecies medical exchange conference was awesome. It’s not to see that while all Vulcans may be “better-than-thou” erudites, they’re still factioned and they still have intra-cultural movements.[/spoiler]

Yeah I love the way T’pol and the Vulcans are portrayed, as much as I love the Vulcans in the other series they’re often just this monolithic thing, Enterprise adds shades of gray :slight_smile:

T’pol is awsome. Best female character in Trek ( close secone is Kira). She was just great. I love her, love her, love her! and would even if she were butt ugly. She is just a great character and I even say this… If they had killed Archer, I would have watched the Captain T’pol show.