Dragon*Con 2011

So I know there are at least 3 of us coming in for D*C this year…and I know there are more of you coming or live in the Atl area.

So I am proposing that we set up a GWC meet-up, more organized the last years, I promise.

So thoughts on the best afternoon/evening we would want to meet-up. I know it may interfere with a panel or two, but I think we plan in the 6-10pm range we shouldn’t miss too many of the major panels, and it will still be early enough to make it to the parties should you want to do that.

Or we can try and plan for Thursday if everyone is going to be around (I know I will be)

I know there was 1 or 2 later panels I really enjoyed last year, so I would like to avoid them, which is why I am thinking Saturday or Sunday early evening.

Let me know everyone’s thoughts on timing and idea’s on what to do…it would need to be within walking distance, or one of the hotel lobbies or the Peachtree mall as I won’t have a car (alhtough I guess we could cab it somewhere.

I’m coming in Friday morning at about 10 am, leaving Sunday night. I’m open to any time for a meet-up! This will be my first Con, so I’m not sure what to expect, but know it’s going to be interesting and a lot of fun.

I will be there this year!! So excited. Flying in on Thursday afternoon - will have to check my itinerary to see what time.

I live in the area but I don’t know if I’d be able to afford to go to the con though I could still come to the meet-up. It’d be the first meet-up I’ve attended as it’s always tax season in march and I keep missing the texas ones.

Woo! I’m in the Atlanta area and am planning to attend the con (my first ever!) and Mr. Lister, Sir will be coming up as well. I’m not sure waht to expect either so whatever timing experienced ‘con’-people think is what I’ll do!

Looking forward to it :smiley:

I live here so I’ll be down Saturday and/or Sunday.

How about Saturday night? That way everyone will be in town, and we can all block the time off for mini-meetup. Going to be so fun!

ok, honestly, daytime is probably the best time to have any kind of organized meet up… early evening 5-7pm is usually group dinner/outings. I’m sure GWC could arrange one of those, unfortunately, i’m a member of so many groups at D*C, i never have a free dinner

at D*C, by 7pm i’m drunk and taking pics of hawt girls with R2, so any later than 6pm and might as well write me off for remembering a meeting lol

I vote for Saturday or Friday night, since it sounds like most of us will be there by then. I don’t mind early- say at 5.

I’ll be at Georgia Tech this year for school, so I should be free to go out. At the very least I’ll be at the con.

Ya I should be able to attend so who wants to organize this? I live in athens which is an hour away so if anyone needs a bed just let me know.

I will be there Thursday through Monday, staying at the Hilton with Brian Wiser, my roommate at D*Con since 2007. My boyfriend “Bacon n Eggs” will be there as well. We’re trying to figure out costume ideas now… :slight_smile:

Frenchie

OK - so I guess since we are almost 30 days to D*C, I figure we should start firming things up.

I get in at about 11:15 am on Thursday. I figure I will try and check in and then either wait for DawnAZ to arrive or venture to see how badge pick-up is.

After picking up badges I am sure we will spend some time pouring over the panels (unless they actually release earlier then last year and I have it on the plane, or the weekend before)

I think Thursday afternoon/evening I will take those who are new to D*C on a quick tour of the 4 hotels and where the panels are held. It can be a challenge to get around if you have never been before. I remember the first year being lost a fair amount - and that was before the extra “hamster trails” were built and you can get around without having to go outside and cross the street.

This will be my 4th Dragon*Con in the last 5 years - so I know a few short cuts and how to get from one place to another.

So when is everyone arriving? If you want to join me on my tour send me a DM and we will start to look at times and places to meet. In addition for those who don’t have it and want my cell number I can send it to you.

I am also still working on a more formal group meet-up either Friday or Saturday evening. Thoughts on a place? And time? Most, if not all, are staying at the con hotels, and won’t have cars. Plus if someone has a panel they are coming from or going to we likely want to stay closer. There is a Pub in the mall that would work. We have had several group meetings there on Friday nights. There are a couple other places around, or we can grab food at the food court and find some place to hang out. I am thinking late afternoon, early evening.

Last year we didn’t have much of a plan and things kinda fell apart - so I want to have a more formal plan this year. We won’t be able to accommodate everyone’s schedule (there is just too much to do :slight_smile: ), but hopefully we can span some time and most can make it, or at least stop by.

Can’t wait to see everyone

I like the Pub idea- sounds like it’s close by for those who are coming from a panel or going to a party later in the evening. I will do the newbie tour for sure!

I arrive around 2 on Thursday. My brochure arrived today- made me very excited!

eek so excited! I really need to start costume planning!!

I would love to go on the newbie tour! and I’m ok with the pub idea and having the meet-up whenever works for the most people. Since it’ll be my first con, I’m just going to go with the flow and try my best to stay awake the whole weekend : )

Awesome idea to show people around the hotels - that is very thoughtful as they are so confusing!! As previously noted, I’ll be there Thursday evening through Monday afternoon, staying at the Hilton. I’m good for a Sat afternoon or early evening meetup, but there may be one schedule conflict, as there is a GofT costume photo shoot before and after the 5:30 Game of Thrones - Winter is Coming AMSF panel. http://twitter.com/#!/daily_dragon/status/103947119362183168

Can’t wait to see everyone. I only have 2 costumes this year, as I want to spend a lot of time just sitting with my friend Rachelle from Charlotte, cold beverage in hand, watching everyone. #old hee!

Is anyone planning to go to the JoCo concert on Friday night? Mr. Lister, Sir and I are planning on it at the moment, as long as I can get down there to buy the tickets beforehand (much cheaper) and I wondered if anyone else was planning for that too?

I don’t think I am planning too. Seems pretty far away and a couple of my favorite panels from years past are Friday night.

Who is that? Is it part of D*C?

Now that we are under a week away I am thinking we should nail a meeting time and place down.

I am thinking:

Gibney’s Pub (http://www.gibneyspub.com/) which is in the Peachtree Mall which is accessible by hamster trails from 2 of the 5 hotels and is very close to the rest. Only issue is if there are any of those coming that are under 21 they won’t be able to join us - so if anyone is under 21 let us know now so we can make some sort of other arrangements. I haven’t actually eaten at the pub other then some fries so I can’t comment on the food, but the atmosphere is great. There are no huge tables, but there are several in the back that we can crowd around.

For me Saturday evening (from 5 pm to 7, or after 8 - although what I want to go to at 7 isn’t one I “can’t miss”) is best.

The other option is Sunday after the BSG panel (8 pm), the pub is open until 12 mid - but we could hang in the food court and just hang out.

I say Saturday evening is the best way to go. The nice thing is the pub is right in the middle of things so if you want to stop by between panels for an hour you can, and it doesn’t close until 3 am (not that I am likely to be there that late, but anything can happen).

So sound off and let me know what y’all think - I doubt we will find a time to make everyone happy, but I am thinking if we pick a 3-4 hour range people can come and go, heck I am not even sure I will be there the whole time.

Is it Thursday yet?