Dragon Age II

Keep the reviews (non spoiled) coming! :smiley: I canā€™t wait to buy it and have been so excited for it, but Iā€™ve been swamped with work so much I havenā€™t had time to play or even pick it up at all. And when I do find the time, unfortunately Iā€™m missing ME2 something fierce, so that will have to come before starting DA2. On the plus side, I have no doubt the price will be cheaper even for a new copy (and much cheaper if I get a second hand one - that will depend on what the freebies are for the new ones - but it sounds like there isnā€™t for the PS3 version.)

oh, question:

I heard you can import your DAO game to DA2. Does it affect anything in DA2? I only have one finished DAO playthrough, but Iā€™m not sure how much I like the choices I made in that one (and then thereā€™s the part where Alistair dumped me - still stings, man). And the playthrough I started a few months ago is only about halfway done. I could wait and finish the 2nd playthrough first before DA2, but if it only affects things mininally, then Iā€™ll just use the first completed one.

are the dialogue and interaction stuff equally as good? Iā€™ve seen some early demos of the combat system (which seems like a simplified cross between DAO and ME2, which suits me fine), but Iā€™m more concerned with the dialogue choices that itā€™ll also mimic more ME2 than DAO (ME2 dialogue system was fine, but too simplistic on the relationships, which is something I love messing with on DAO and am hoping to do the same in DA2).

It affects the world around you. So, letā€™s say you made your Warden the king of Ferelden in DA:O, itā€™ll carry over to 2. I ran into a person being hunted by the Dalish for the ā€œcrimesā€ he committed when he was a warewolf, which I thought was really cool. Itā€™s more minimal than anything else, but it makes some fun little changes

The dialogue options are greatā€¦think Mass Effect 2 without the light side/dark side points formula. The sarcastic answers are hilarious and really flush out Hawke as a character. It is a bit simplistic; you only have on average three response options, but it doesnā€™t hamper the game, I find.

The only complaint I really have that bothers me a lot is the inventory system, where all the inventory in the game except for accessories and some weapons are Hawke exclusive, so there is not party customization like there was in Origins. But if I can live with that in ME2, I can live with that in DA2. Although I donā€™t like the direction Bioware is going with itā€™s sequels

It doesnā€™t affect that much directly, mostly secondary dialog and the like.

Hereā€™s a semi-comprehensive list of what carries over

And soā€¦after a few hours of sleep behind meā€¦myā€¦kindaā€¦review

This is Empire Strikes Back

Nowā€¦before you think i am over-praising itā€¦i am talking here about tone and where it leaves the story at.

The tone is best describe in a colorā€¦GREY. Everything is about shades of Grey. I truly believe there is no good or evil character in this game. All you can do as Hawke is swim throught these very muddy waters when it comes to good or bad. I dont think i ever quite experienced a game like this. I made choices i was sure were the best option to stop some bad shit happeningā€¦only to discovered it only made it worse.

As for where it leaves you in the endā€¦not on the edge of the abyssā€¦but already 50 feet into your fallā€¦screaming!

God what a good story!

As usualā€¦Bioware character are super solid. All your companions are interesting and have engaging back stories

The graphics are a huge improvement from the X360 version i played last, altought i am still a bit disapointed on some of the redesign of creatures and races we have met before. The elves in particular are a miss for me.

wellā€¦i have rambled on too longā€¦nowā€¦to start playthrought number two!

have fun

Got my copy this morning. A day late, but better than Monday. Plus Fadeshear and Lion of Orlais was included after all. So much trouble could have been saved if that had have been clarified a few weeks ago.

Iā€™m a couple of hours into it and so far I am enjoying. I understand that there may be a few bugs, but thatā€™s to be expected. There are a lot of haters out there, who are describing this as the worst game ever and they are never buying another bioware product again. Oh well, Iā€™m going to continue to enjoy it, and Iā€™ll be pre-ordering ME3

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Iā€™m pretty ok with the choices I have that will carry over (other than my warden not being queen), so I guess Iā€™ll just use that one. :smiley:

Glad to hear the dialogue options are still witty and hilarious, if not as many as before. Itā€™s one of the things I love most about DAO because I really get to know the characters better through them. (And yes, itā€™s fun to screw around with them. :D)

Wait a minuteā€¦ Cylons?

Finally picked up my ā€œpre-orderā€ from Gamestop today.

They suckered (twisted my arm really) me into pre-ordering ME3 for its November release. d:

Iā€™ll install it after tonightā€™s fraks.

Ugh, Iā€™d have so much more respect for Gamestop if they didnā€™t

[spoiler]

1. sucker (twist peopleā€™s arms) into stuff like that
  2. take advantage of peopleā€™s ignorance and sell them products like 1 year of XBL service for $60 when finding 1 year of service for $40 is pretty easy (and should be the norm)

Plus Iā€™m not the hugest fan of the used games marketā€¦ WHOOPSā€¦ sorry for the rant[/spoiler]

Dragon Age 2 rocks man! Iā€™m about 19 hours in and the game feels like it is only beginning. I am glad that it seems near impossible to be friends with every party member. Iā€™ve resigned myself to the fact that Iā€™m just going to end up being Fenrisā€™ rival in this game. Too bad, since heā€™s such a badass, but demā€™s the breaks.

Just started today (and got into the city). Having some trouble adjusting the the differences. I do like how much more fluid the rogueā€™s combat style is, but I keep pressing < to try to get to my inventory (and not nearly as much stuff is dropping).

Oh, and Flemith looks a lot younger, which is kind of screwed up since this is between the Wardenā€™s visits.

Since itā€™s Flemeth Iā€™d be willing to bet the way the Wardens saw her in Dragon Age was not how she truly looks, same for her appearance in DA II. This is a woman/abomination/whatever you want to call her thatā€™s been around for centuries, Iā€™m sure sheā€™s got a few tricks up her sleeve. She can turn in to a dragon after all, so why couldnā€™t she magically alter her appearance to make herself look a little older and more feeble? Or even make herself look a younger and more capable?

Iā€™ve also learned never to discount anything she says because Iā€™ve yet to see her be wrong, which only makes me wonder if sheā€™s plotting something other than that ritual her and Morrigan cooked up. Sheā€™s had her hand in everything that has happened in Thedas that weā€™ve been made privy to. She helped Maric and Loghain evade the Orlesians (at an as yet unknown cost to Maric), helped the Wardens survive the slaughter at Ostagar and now has helped the Champion of Kirkwall survive the escape from Lothering. Sheā€™s up to something and/or has some sort of knowledge about whatā€™s going on that no one else is privy to.

I think sheā€™s from the future and traveled back in time toā€¦ Oh waitā€¦

I too was a bit thrown off from all the changes. Not only to the battle system, but to the narrative structure. I have since begun to think this game might eclipse DA1 in terms of enjoyment for me though. I cannot believe how incredible the ride has been so far. Hopefully something similar will happen with you! :smiley:

Also regarding Flemeth, I think her look is just because of an updated design of the character and nothing more. The [spoiler]Qunari[/spoiler] look completely different too so that lends me to believe Bioware just went ahead and redesigned things.

They changed the design on the elves as well; they look like non-blue Naā€™Vi now.

Yeah exactly. Which is why I think Flemethā€™s new look had more to do with that than any story related changes.

Honestly, everything seems more stylized.

I wonder if the elf ears were because someone said they looked too much like Vulcans (which they should have thought of before having one of them voiced by Tuvok :wink: )

I miss Tuvok :frowning:

And so does Janewayā€¦

Tuvok come backā€¦

This ruined my dayā€¦ Maybe my weekā€¦

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108458-Reclaim-Your-Game-Clarifies-Dragon-Age-2-SecuROM-Report

There was quite an uproar over a March 10 report by Reclaim Your Game, a site dedicated to the analysis and discussion of DRM in videogames, stating that traces of the hated SecuROM were found in Dragon Age 2. After all, BioWareā€™s Christ Priestly explicitly stated that the game would not use it and there is absolutely no mention of it on the package or in the EULA. Producer Fernando Melo also claimed that although the Dragon Age 2 release control software is made by Sony DADC, the company behind SecuROM, itā€™s not SecuROM. ā€œIt is not the same product - for instance, it does not install anything etc just as weā€™ve stated before,ā€ he said in the Dragon Age 2 FAQ. ā€œThey have the same support site through which is the URL youā€™re seeing.ā€

Iā€™ll prolly have to reinstall windows (again) to get rid of it.

Edit: OTOH, this gives me an excuse to install and play ME1 finally.

Is that because of the game(play) itself or because of Securom? Had I known about Securom, I wouldnā€™t have bought it, and would waited until non-securom versions of the game was available for purchase or waited until DA2 was $5 like ME1. ):

But, now I know to be careful when ME3 comes out.

Edit: I checked Amazon reviews for the PC version. Most of the complaints are about the game itself. But, about 15% of what I read seemed to be about Securom or both the game and Securom.

I have seen a few complaints but not anywhere near as many as complaints about bugs, story, recycled maps and other technical issues. But I will admit to only visiting the forums over at Bioware and Gamefaqs so there may be a lot more out there I just havenā€™t seen them. Most of the PC complaints Iā€™ve seen on Biowareā€™s forums involve bugs, which isnā€™t surprising because Bioware is known for buggy games.