Dollhouse is gone

According to Ausiello :frowning:

Well. at least FOX is going to burn off the remaining eps.

I wonder if they will run epitaph as the finale.

Can’t say I’m surprised. I honestly think this show has more promise as the premise for a film than for a long running series. When it’s good (i.e. when Eliza Dushku blends into the rest of the cast) it’s good, but when it’s bad (say, as when Eliza plays a backup dancer/singer for some suicidal pop star), it’s dreadful.

well, we all saw this coming… oh well hope he can give us some closure; and if Joss deals with fox in the future, may I make simple suggestion. Just simply do whatever you like in a miniseries format. It will just be easier on everyone involved.

You can’t say FOX didn’t give it a fair chance this time around. Credit where credit is due…I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the second season of Dollhouse could be renamed, “Sorry about canceling Firefly.”

Armando nailed it. The fundamental challenge of the show was that it was conceived and designed as a star vehicle for Eliza. Eliza didn’t have the chops to hold the A story and in her defense wasn’t given the strongest scripts at the beginning. As the show transitioned to more of an ensemble piece we quickly saw that the supporting actors were very, very talented.

It is a pity they didn’t realize their vision earlier, this could have been a very interesting series indeed. Thankful for what we got tho.

Sure I can. Ok I would be wrong, but none the less.

I just hope Victor and Sierra get picked up quickly elsewhere. I want to see more of them.

Just joining the chorus here. Disappointed, not surprised and in 100% agreement with Armando and Solai’s assessment of the series strengths and weaknesses. This isn’t like the Bionic Woman, which was awful from the word go (though also had a fantastic supporting cast), this is a series that needed time to gain ground. BrettAZ and I are crawling our way through S1 of Buffy right now. We both know there will be a payoff later, but S1 is a challenge. I hate the idea that shows are being given time to bloom where they’re planted.

Interesting how ABC put V next to Dancing With the Stars.

Well here is a shocker…sound familiar???

The idea of “Dollhouse” was an interesting one, but one that struggled with network interference from the start. Poo-pooing Whedon’s original premise of having a more serialized drama, Fox instead wanted to see standalone stories that would simply have Dushku’s character – a woman who has different personalities uploaded to create various characters – going from one adventure to the next. However, Fox would eventually back off from that and allow Whedon to finish the season the way he wanted

from Airlock Alpha

Frakkers.

And yet, he keeps going back to Fox, like a battered spouse, confident that it won’t be like last time. :frowning:

Frankly, Whedon belongs on a boutique cable network. I could see him doing good things at USA or FX where they’d know what to do with the types of shows he produces. The audiences might actually be bigger too.

most of me thinks the only reason he did it was cause Eliza was signed to a FOX contract, but maybe thats just my spite talking.

Not surprising, but still sad. It lasted longer than I expected

Im kinda glad its gone. Joss can move on to something bigger and better (hopefully) and I can finally watch this show without dreading that I will get into it and they will pull the rug out from under me.

I just found this…
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-quick12-2009nov12,0,4725649.story

the interesting bit is pasted below for anyone that does not wish to click on the link.

– Randy Lewis Fox shuts door on ‘Dollhouse’

Well, at least this time Joss Whedon fans can’t retaliate against Fox.

“Dollhouse” has been canceled. Fans can take heart in the fact that the network really did give the low-rated series, starring Eliza Dushku, a chance. All 13 episodes will air, and the advance notice has given Whedon a chance to give the series a satisfying ending, according to a Fox spokesperson. The remaining episodes of “Dollhouse” will air this way: Two episodes will air each night on Dec. 4, Dec. 11 and Dec. 18 from 8 to 10 p.m. The last three episodes will air Jan. 8, Jan. 15 and Jan. 22 at 9 p.m.

In a statement posted on whedonesque.com, Whedon wrote: “For now there’s a lot of work still to be done, and disappointment to bear.”

Just heard the news! So disappointing…and yet, I believe our dear Wash said it best, long, long ago:

“Ah [FOX], curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!”

I do sincerely hope that Joss doesn’t fall into Fox’s clutches again and that he goes on to a nice cable network, or heck, even the web ala Dr. Horrible/The Guild, etc.

Another voice chiming in “not unexpected,” but I really enjoy Dollhouse, I guess Castle will now be my undisputed #1 fav on-TV show.

I still enjoyed the “client of the week” episodes, but I truly love the arc (rossum…), and the ideas that the show brings up with regards to individuality, body/mind, power/knowledge, human trafficking, prostitution, etc.

But! I don’t have cable! :frowning:

From my Facebook:
So Dollhouse is cancelled, but I don’t know if the headline should be “Dollhouse Cancelled” or “Fox lets obscure, unpopular sci-fi show stay on the air for 26 episodes”.

In a statement posted on whedonesque.com, Whedon wrote: “For now there’s a lot of work still to be done, and disappointment to bear.”

To which I would reply, “oh Joss, honey, but it wasn’t your best work. Take heart and move on.”

I’d love to see him land on USA, they are doing some great stuff over there.