Dollhouse is gone

Yes, they are. Joss would fit right in with Psych and Burn Notice, I think.

Oh, that’s too bad. But, really quite expected, and yes, this second season was definitely a “Sorry we cancelled Firefly”. I do believe Fox gave it a shot. It didn’t take, which isn’t the sole fault of Fox. Dollhouse was phenomenal and thought provoking at times, but also downright pedestrian (Dushku is a mommy! Dushku is a thief! etc hijinks) at other times.

I’m interested to see how they’d end the show now, and I look forward to seeing Victor and Sierra in other shows as well.

You are so right about Eliza. I have often though in the last couple of weeks that the girl who plays Sierra would have made a much better Echo.

However I believe FOX to be at least a bit to blame - yes they gave it another half season - but they still put it on the graveyard of TV, Friday Night. Imagine how well it might have done paired with something like House or Bones.

I never really saw fault with Eliza’s acting there were strong episodes and weak episodes but i never saw it as a problem with her more the uneven storytelling. but i guess thats just a matter of opinion.

I feel the same way.

I love Dollhouse when it is great, but i am not afraid to say the first 3 episodes this season weren’t the best in television, as much as I loved the BSG people that were in it. Echo could be played by Angelina Jolie in those episodes and it wouldn’t make a bit of difference.

Dollhouse can be great. We saw that in episode 4 of season 2. But the fact is the premiere of season 2 only did 2.56 mil. It’s hard to blame the writing of the first couple episode of season 2 when people didn’t even show up for the premiere.

For some reason a good portion of people who used to watch Dollhouse tuned off 2/3 way through season 1. Weirdly after the best episode then, “Spy in the House of Love”, where November delivered a message to Paul and Sierra goes undercover at NSA. You’d think after an awesome episode like that people’d tune in. But they didn’t.

The reason is simple. Series finale of TSCC “Born to Run” aired the same date as “Spy in the House of Love” and never returned. And there goes the good 2 mil of people who used to watch Dollhouse.

found an interesting post on Io9 about the cancellation; thing i found interesting was this.

guy from syfy talking about Syfy picking up cancelled shows

Whenever some other network cancels a sci-fi show, I’ve noticed a distinct trends in the type of tweets I receive about it: 80% Polite: Could you please pick up X show? I think it’d be a great fit with your network! 8% Analytic: X shows has more viewers than your show Y so why wouldn’t you pick it up! 5% Bribe: I’ll star watching/will watch more of your network if you pick up X show! 4% Less Polite: Why don’t you pick up X show? It’s better than any of the crap you air! 3% Blame: You suck for canceling X show and/or not picking it up from another network! (OFTEN SENT IN ALL CAPS!!!)

he went further on

Leaving aside viewership, the biggest issues are, we simply can’t afford network budgets and no one has even offered it to us AFAIK. Then you have to consider, it had much more exposure on Fox than it would ever get on Syfy, but the audience never quite materialized. We’d of course LOVE to do a project with Joss Whedon for Syfy that was affordable. Overall we’re big fans of his work… If we could hold [the audience size from the Fox airings] (doubtful), it could be a good number if the budget were remotely in our ballpark.

http://io9.com/5405067/the-5-stages-of-fan-grief

just scares me when they start actually making sense.

That stuff about budget is a load of bull. Warehouse 13 is 2 million dollars an episode. Dollhouse didn’t even break the 1mil mark for most episodes. But yea, its not as simple as saying ‘we will pick it up.’

Yeah, all I kept thinking was “how much did each episode of BSG cost?” I know that show worked around budget limitations, but it still wasn’t cheap, and it got plenty of exposure.

good try Syfy, but the only thing that made sense is “no one even offered it to us”.