Digital/Graphic arts

Im willing to take the risk

I feel unworthy but here is a classic that I’ve done.

Are you kidding? The jet is sweet. Mmmmm, radiosity. What were you using? You model that from scratch?

If I’m not mistaken Gammera… thats no jet, it’s a VF-1 Valkyrie. Woot!!! Rock on!

Yeah it is! The veritech fighter is awesome and you did a fantastic job on this one Gammera. Great job!!!

Consider yourself worthy. I don’t suppose you have any of it in the ‘skimming’ configuration, do you?

Thanks all, after seeing ighost’s stuff I still don’t think I’m worthy. Yes it does transform. Skimming do you mean the GERWALK mode yup.

and the BATROID.

Gammera, this is awesome! What did you use to model it with? What kind of poly count are we talking here?

Thanks again, I used Maya to model it, and it has about 41,000 polys.

Sean did I inspire you and Chuck to start re-watching Robotech? If you can find the original Macross series you will enjoy it sooooo much better. I tell ya by episode 20 if you hear “to be in love” one more time you will shoot yourself. The original macross is much more grown up. Also look for the Macross movie Do You Remember Love even though it was made in 1984 it is still considered a benchmark in traditional animation. (STAY AWAY FROM THE AUSTRAILIAN VERSION Attack of the Bioniods!!).

Before I went to law school I worked for a studio doing mostly 3d work for broadcast. I worked with a great team; I worked as a texture artist and did some modeling and animation.

Sean, I don’t know if you ever were into beast wars, but this is a frame of an animation we did for Hasbro. Hasbro was negotiating a second season with mainframe. They hired us to do this to give them some leverage. We didn’t get the job, but at least mainframe started rendering shadows

http://picasaweb.google.com/mtylerw/3d/photo#5178823150174517202

Here is some more stuff that I textured. And the two models in grey are ones that I modeled.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mtylerw/3d

-T

Did you work at Mainframe in the ReBoot days?
I loved that show, both it’s look (concet art by a couple fav Brit comic artists) and it’s wit.
I was sucking up all CG from the beginning, from Robert Abel’s shiny girl robot to Pixar’s Luxo Jr. etc, from B5 and Seaquest, and seeing that fun, stylized CG world (that actually made sense to look as it did) come weekly out of Canada made my Saturday mornings.

No, I worked for Rainbow Studios in Phoenix, back when it had a broadcast division. We were just the stick that Hasbro used to beat Mainframe with during contract negotiations. It was a fun project, but I think our 5 minute animation was a little darker then Hasbro wanted to go. ie, muzzle flashes, shell casings, laser ranger finders, and we used the sound of a .50 cal machine gun firing for the sound effects for O.P. guns.

But the biggest thing is that we could not compete Mainframe when it came to the bottom line. The Canadian Government heavily subsidizes the arts, which is why so many televisions shows are filmed there.

For about 2-3 years, we created a few pilot episodes for Hasbro, none of which went anywhere. Tonka Joe, Action Man, Noddie, Ninja Turtles… In the case of Action Man and Noddie, both were farmed out Singapore were animators work for $40 a day (and that’s a 12hour day, 6 days a week)

We did get to make a few episodes of one of Chuck’s favorites: Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles. :smiley:

-T

edited: I fixed some of my grammar, I’m a bit dyslexic, so please excuse my eccentricities.

Wow Ty, youve got some really great stuff here! I really like your texturing work, great job!

Were you guy’s working on Blue Planet? If so what happened to that project. It had one of the coolest trailers I have ever seen.

I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again.
I love Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles.
People, even those who hated the movie, should give the animated show a try.
It took itself much more seriously, and is quite entertaining. I was lead from the CG of B5 and Space: Above and Beyond to it, if I recall correctly. (I was a Lightwave junky back in the day. Even owned it. …just never got around to really learning it.)
Anyway, you’ve got some good stuff. I especially liked the untextured character models.

Hey… it’s nice to meet another fan. I thought it was pretty good stuff, I bought all of the DVD’s so I would have something to show my kids. It’s to bad that it got “fireflyed;” the episodes were shown out of sequence and the last 4 episodes were never produced. I had to wake up at 5am to watch the last few episodes.

We worked on the Zephyr Campaign episodes 23, 24, 25. They were the ones that took place on a frozen asteroid. We did one more that was a clip show, but I can’t remember the episode number.

I cut my teeth on Lightwave, so it will always have a place next to my heart. The Dinos were both textured and rendered in lightwave. And I modeled the characters in lightwave.

I have been using Maya lately… (shrug)

-T

ESPECIALLY those who hated the movie (it makes its own departures, but they’re much more in the spirit of the book.) You can see a bunch of them here. The DVDs are reasonable on Amazon.

Don’t know if any other of you 3D enthusiasts had heard of him, but the animator “Mojo” that spoke on the season 4 opener GWC livecast has been very active in the history of CG TV effects.

Mojo was part of the team that basically brought CG to TV, working with Ron Thornton at Foundation Imaging on Babylon 5 from the pilot on (See early info). Back then they were using Lightwave 3D (which I think was still only running on Amiga computers), a program still being used in a lot of TV (including BSG) today.
He came to my attention when from 1997-2001 he wrote a regular feature in a magazine I subscribed to called NewTekniques. Check out this interview with Mojo from back then for a blast from the past.

I think he was still at Foundation when they were working on Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles and Voyager.

If I recall, BSG’s Zoic Studios, also a former Lightwave shop (Now almost all shops have diversified and use whichever 3D package best fits the job at hand) is home to many former Foundation alumni. This article on BSG’s effects mentions the “longtime Lightwave wizard and Zoic artist” Mojo too.

More on Zoic & BSG here and here.

Gammera, I found a copy of the trailer…

Gammera, I found a copy of the trailer… It hurts a bit to look at it now, but it was pretty good for 1997. Damn… eleven years ago… I’m old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlwzVqFNCA