DC Universe Online

No problem. I wasn’t arguing. Just stating what I’ve experienced.

Fair enough, but this particular game is definitely in the “REAAAAALY” not ready for release category. :wink:

DCUO is open for business as of today. They were an hour or more past their official launch time, but the made it eventually. I made a bunch of characters on the “Vices and Virtues” server, covering each of the power types if not all the weapon types. If I didn’t have to get up early for work tomorrow, I’d probably play all night.

Just bought the game for PS3. This will be my first MMO experience. Can’t wait to crack up this baby and try it (but I need to get back home for that and my Better half is shoe shopping). Anyway, anyone beside me and Jammer bought the game? As I mention I have 0 experience in that kind of games (except watching The guild) but it would be nice to do a Playing Frack party. My ps3 name is Lasalle6789. Let me know :slight_smile:

I would love to group with you, but unfortunately I think the PC & PS3 players are on entirely different servers. And that really makes me want to complain about how much SOE tried to make the PC client feel like a console; it kind of throws away years of MMO UI development from other games. If they’re not going to put them on the same playing field, stop trying to even the playing field and play to the platform’s strengths.

The situation reminds me of Evequest Online Adventures where SOE intended to unite the PC & PS2 players and never did.

is any one going to buy it because it cost $15 dollars each month to pay:mad:

Already bought it and it’s been occupying most of my gaming time for the past couple of weeks. True to form, I’ve developed a severe case of Altoholism. The rumor that SOE gave us 20 character slots doesn’t help. LOL! I think I’m up to about 14-ish now. Most of my characters are on the Vices & Virtues server, and I have 2 on the Zero Hour server for when the login queues break on the other one. This is all in the PC side, by the way. The PS3 game has it’s own separate servers.

Yes, the game is still a bit clunky and buggy but all the mouse and button mashing make this game feel uniquely action based in the MMORPG market.

And if the two latest videos on IGN are any indication, there will be a bit of new content lined up for February.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/01/dc-universe-online-the-second-blur-trailer?objectid=755358

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1147019p1.html

cool game huh

I like it, for now anyway. I can see where it might get old. One of the reasons I’m an altoholic is so that I can see more of what the games offer. This game offers a few different starting missions (after the tutorial) depending on your mentor, and maybe class.

DCUO is also re-educating me about a lot of the DC Universe that I just missed or never knew. I always enjoy a storyline in my games.

That being said, I’m also relearning that there were a few things about SOE that I remember disliking all the way back to my EQ and SWG days - that crazy profanity filter, the dearth of communication they offer on fixes & upcoming content releases. The two links above caught the entire community off guard. Thanks IGN.

As for the $15 per month, I’ve been playing MMOs for a long time and I’ve long ago learned to write that off as if it were the cost of going to one movie per month. In any event, I took the plunge and bought the equivalent of 13 months in advance. (Lifetime sub) I can easily see me jumping in and out of this game for the next year at least, especially with new content to be added.

FWIW, I found out (when I ran out of character slots) that the upper limit on the number of characters you can create is 16. In the vein of a couple of other games out there, however, it wouldn’t surprise me if SOE would sell extra character slots for that game.

you still playing Jammer? most of my toons are over on New Virtue, but i might start a couple new ones on your server… hero or villain?

I still play. It’s just that I spent the better part of my weekend playing through STO’s new weekly series, running my many characters through it anyway. There are subtle differences for each class.

Anyway, I play both villains and heroes in DCUO. Consequently, my highest levels are 24, on both sides. And I’ve got plenty of lowbies too. :slight_smile:

Nah…pretty much have gone off all MMO’s at this point, they all then into major grindfests after a while. WOW, AoC…hunt, kill, xp…repeat. Don’t see how DC Online will be any different…

Yeah that’s pretty much how I view “end game” play, so I’m never in a rush to get to level cap. That probably ties in with me being an altoholic. It generally let’s me see more of the available story lines from different angles.

But yeah, as I understand it, DCUO caps out relatively quickly at level 30 where you start doing all the raids to grind for iconic gear. As long as they keep adding story lines, I’ll have something to look forward to though.

On MMOs in general, DCUO has a few different starting quest series based on mentor and maybe class, and fresh out of the gate it has plenty of room to grow. LOTRO has a couple of long story arcs that run parallel to the novels and the Devs are maybe halfway to Mordor now. STO runs semi regular “series” or new story arcs spread over weekly episode installments. Champions Online & DDO are both relatively slow with new content updates, but they do have them. AoC is probably the most static of all, waiting for “off the shelf” expansions to add content.

After looking last night, I didn’t see a “New Virtue” server. Is that one the the European servers or a reference to where all the CoX players supposedly migrated? If I recall correctly, I thought the CoX players were filling out the “Vices & Virtues” and “Zero Hour” servers, the supposedly unofficial RP servers.

Personally, I’m looking forward to rifts…seems to have an interesting premise behind it. Although one day someone will come up with a mmo that dispenses with levels and character classes entirely…sort of like GURPS was back in the day …

Finally, someone mentioned Rift. Though no one is visiting the thread I made.

Actually, EVE doesn’t have character classes or levels in the traditional sense.

Heya gang, I’m still on the fence with DC Universe Online, but Joystiq posted about a new patch and content today:

[i]

The first major update for DC Universe Online is now available for both the PS3 and PC versions of the game (just a day or so after the first buyers’ subscription plans kicked in). The patch includes a new eight-player raid inside the Batcave; a number of new missions based around Catwoman and other DC luminaries; some “Love is a Battlefield” holiday content and the long-awaited Auction House functionality. Sony is also streamlining the social UI quite a bit, answering players’ wishes for an easier-to-use chat system.

And if that’s not enough updating for you, Sony has started revealing what’s coming next in an interview over at PC Gamer. More bugfixes are incoming, including fixes to issues around voice chat and grouping. In future content, Sony’s Chris Cao says that The Penguin is going to get his due, as well as the Flash and some of his associated heroes. It all sounds fun – SOE promised to push updates quickly on this one, and this free content is its first delivery.
[/i]
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/22/dc-universe-online-gets-first-game-update-soe-has-more-on-the-w/

Is there a free 2 week demo or something for this? If so, I might try it out

As of now, there is still no free trial for DCUO. However, there were some “Buddy Keys” that were supposed to be packaged with the Collector’s Edition of the game which might have been the equivalent. Unfortunately it’s been widely documented that a lot of the Collector’s Editions (a majority?) were never packed with Buddy Keys, so a lot of people got ripped off out of that, myself included.

SOE does offer free trials for some of its other games, so there might be something along those lines coming for DCUO down the road. How far down the road is anyone’s guess.