DC Universe Online

For those who haven’t yet heard, DC Comics is coming out with a MMORPG to rival City of Heroes, Champions Online, and Marvel Superhero Squad. They just released a new and pretty bad *** game trailer…

//youtu.be/HmIxXGEfz-Y

(In John Locke voice): “I think we’re going to need to watch that again.”

Very cool. Awesome quality and long, too. I like the alternate wartime outfits the League are sporting here. Not for everyday wear, mind you, but as a one off change of pace, it’s cool. Wondy’s got the war-braid going, Bats and Flash are armored up. GL has a splint on his arm. It gives a sense of high stakes. I think crazy-eyed, five o’clock shadow Superman looks laughable, though. I’m glad we get to see our clean-cut heroes in their iconic gear at the end.

I like the fights. Pretty awesome. My only quibble: Deathstroke steals Wonder Woman’s lasso and Circe gets her to scream? I don’t buy it that WW would go down that easy. In my book, Diana would wipe the floor with both of them.

oh my…

I got to watch some people play the game at Comic-Con. It looks pretty awesome and the graphics are very nice. DC was allowing people to play a boss fight against Harley Quinn and a bunch of henchmen while the player was teamed up with some police NPCs.

I’m very excited for this game, especially after seeing it in person. I wish I had taken the time to play.

This looks great. I need to remember to watch the video tonight at home though, so I can do so with sound.

Wow. I’d expect a trailer like this from Marvel than DC being dark and violent.

I’m really, really pumped for this game. Anybody know when the beta opens up?

My only hesitation is that it’s Sony Online. Dark, dark memories from Everquest.

Remind me what happened with EQ? I know about SoE and SWG.

EQ was just a poorly supported game overall: lots of server downtime, irregular amounts of and times for maintenance; almost insignificantly small expansions sold at full new game prices; and best of all, a stout unwillingness to interact with the community except to ban them.

Fun times!

D’oh! It looks like beta registration closed already! : (

I don’t think this game will ever come out

Why is that? It IS in closed beta right now, after all.

I think EQ2 nowadays is extremely awesome.

Could it be? Another EQ2 player on GWC?!?!

Amazon.com recently changed the “released date” to January 11, 2011. To my knowledge SOE hasn’t said anything about the release date. Most of the beta testers are grumbling that the game isn’t ready.

It seems the interface is annoying most people. Popular opinion is SOE is trying too hard to build a console game for the PC, foregoing all the other long standing PC MMO interface niceties out there. The Devs just released a new patch yesterday to revamp the UI. We’ll see how that goes.

Oh, I should have probably this updated earlier. It’s official now. SOE is releasing DCUO on 11 Jan 11. That’s one week away. I’m not sure what their pricing plan is but, it sounds like it’ll be $15 a month.

Most of the beta testers are complaining that the game isn’t ready for release but, then they probably say that for all games. Then again, it seems very common for a MMO to launch with a slew of bugs and balance issues. /shrug

In any event, you can find lots of gameplay videos (including bugs) on YouTube if you want to get a peak before jumping in.

I played the beta on the PS3 for a few weeks and I have to agree with those other testers.

The game simply isn’t ready for release yet. The basic infastructure of the game isn’t even stable yet, and even though the devs SWEAR that their current build is ready, it is hard to take them at their word.

I had a blast playing the game (when it actually worked…) but it would freeze up on me randomly at least once an hour, sometimes more! The last patch that the devs released was supposed to correct issues like that but the number of random crashes actually INCREASED.

Buyer beware, DCU has a lot of potential, but it needs more time in development if you ask me!

Rarely have a I seen an MMO in late stages of beta that was “ready for release”.

Lord of the Rings Online was decently ready surprisingly. I can’t think of another (except Final Fantasy 11, but that was for the North American release after being out in Japan for a year). However, Final Fantasy 14 was and still is so frakked up, that it won gamespot’s worse game everyone played of the year award for 2010. So, as long as they do better than that…

Don’t get me wrong, some are ready. However, most do not have that appearance in late beta.