Clone Wars TV series

Just watched the first 2 episodes, not too impressed. I have not seen the movie so this was my first exposure to it.
The Good:
-The Clones were amusing to watch, interesting to find out a little more about them.
-The new jedi master with the eye coverings was pretty cool.

The Bad:
-The Droids were made sillier and less threatening then in the movies, if thats even possible. Hard to take anything seriously when they are the main bad guys.
-The voices of Anikin, Yoda, and Doku sounded really off to me.

Overall I just found it somewhat cliche and melodramatic, but I’m curious if anyone else saw it and what they thought.

Sounds like the film.

I DVR’d and will watch with my daughters tomorrow.

I just watched the first two episodes of the series and I loved it. But I knew going into the movie and the series not expect something on the level of Empire Strikes Back. I loved Yoda in the first episode because he was more like Yoda in Empire than any of the prequels. The Clones were once again cool. I thought they did a decent job of telling the story in 22 minutes. Can’t wait to see more, especially Captain Rex.

I liked them quite a bit. I think they certainly hit their target demographics judging from my 3 and 5 year olds’ reactions. Nothing will ever again live up to Empire, but they were never grating like certain part of the prequel movies. Maybe I just had lower expectations being a children’s cartoon, but we will be watching it weekly at my house

I wasn’t expecting an Empire Strikes Back, but I was expecting more then I got. I don’t want to bash it because it wasn’t that bad, but I was disapointed.

Yeah. I don’t set the bar so how when it comes to Star Wars anymore. I enjoy it more that way. I dug the animation.

I liked it quite a bit. They really need to remove the droid humor or at least improve it. I’m starting to hate droids. In the prequels they were not this annoying.

I saw them and actually enjoyed them. The format is intersting. It is very classic comic stuff, where one episode doesn’t have much to do with another. Considering the subject is an on going war, at first i thought it was odd. But after I finished the second one, I was impressed. The TV serie is discussing and exploring deeper meanings that the Big Three talked about in the Star War Podcasts.

When Anakin and his padawan decided to search for survivers, I am sure most of the people would think they did the right thing. It is especially profound when we know what happened to Anakin in the end. The Chancelor planned for Anakin to make decisions which he feels is the right thing and lead him down the path to the dark side. What is the right decision, can it all be judged by the end result? I don’t think kids would think about that when they watch the show. So I am glad they put that much thought into it.

I haven’t seen the Clone Wars movie yet, but the Clone Wars feels a lot more interesting to me. At least in the TV series Anakin doesn’t seem like a teenager who is just mad because he doesn’t get to do everything his way.

Darth Mojo (BSG DFX guy) seems to approve.

I felt that way when I took the kids to see it in the theater. It was a bit kiddie to me. But I love the animation style. It almost looks like the movies and is Cannon to the story. The other Gendi series on Cartoon network was not as impressive to me because it was way out of character with force jumps for miles at a time. The animation style was also in the same vein. The fact that ILM is helping with the animation is really cool to me, lets face it, it’s only about 20% more animated then the original prequels.
Now that it is on television. . .I am as interested as the kids are. thank god for Tivo!

Shadows of Malevolence was pretty good . Probably the best episode yet. Less droid humor and Y-Wings = cool stuff. I love the exploration of the star wars universe.

Although I have to echo the sentiments of others (Droids are obnoxious, and the target is definitely kids) I have enjoyed it. It’s not classic Star Wars, and it’s definitely prequel quality, but I like it anyway. It is still Star Wars…

Also, the animation really is gorgeous. I got my season pass on iTunes (No Cable), so I’m set to go.

I have to say, as much as I’m getting turned off, the art direction is fantastic. The scenes in the nebula with the giant space manta rays… Fantastic.

And the armored Y-wings are pretty awesome too, much better than the fanon designs I’ve seen.

I wouldn’t say this is prequel quality. i am no but fan of the prequels, i know the star wars podcast episodes made them a bit more palatable, though if one needs to read so much about the back story for a movie to make sense, it really isn’t that good of a job.

However, the real issue of the prequels to me is that, I can’t identify with any of the characters. I don’t particularly like any of them to the point that i have a vested interest in the ordeals they are going through.

Especially Anakin, where they never built him up as a hero who cared about the others. Through out the second two movies, too much time was spent on him complaining about the council and his relationship with Padame.

They wanted to keep to the 3 movies format, and dropped the most important piece of the story, The Clone Wars. Where Anakin was a hero, and cared about his men, and wanted to serve and do the right thing.

That is what makes his fall to the dark side a tragedy, but just by watching the prequels you wouldn’t have known all these. To me, this is what they shouldn’t have left out of the prequels, and now this tv anime series feels like a redemption for the prequels to me.

So, to me personally, it is at a way higher quality than the prequels, story wise, cause at least now I get Anakin. Before, I just want to smash his head in.

I just watched the first five eps yesterday and i must say i was rather impressed. I had set my expectations really low. There are moments where the show gets kid friendly with the Driod army however there are pretty dark moments like in the last episode with the Droids getting pluged in the head by commander Cody at point blank range. There was also the time with the droids drilling into the escape pods and ejecting the clones into space.

I really like the humor they have in the show. they don’t seem to mind making fun of themselves every now and then. The interaction between Obi and Anakin is pretty good. Also in the last episode when the Shiny’s left the watch tower. One was like “You gotta watch out for the giant eels”. Then one was like “yea ha ha that’s funny” then promptly got eaten by a giant eel. Then the original was like “Yea that’s why we have protocols about not going out side.”

The Droids seem to be funny for kids but the rest of the show is pretty adult i think

Someone at work said their son was watching some of the Clone Wars and enjoyed it. He asked if it was age appropriate. I couldn’t answer. I began wonder what age bracket they were gunning for. I’m guessing 8 to 10 year olds. His son is 4 and I said, “Probably not the best thing for him.”

I think the whole idea that droid army was cheap to make compared to the clones. Therefore they are pretty bad on the battle field, but they vastly out numbers the clones.

The last episode they had the Special Ops droids which were pretty kick “sorry barb”.

I can understand how the show can be seen as targeted for kids, but I really don’t feel it when I watch it. The part where droids drills the life pods one by one and left the escapees to be sucked into the void of space, that isn’t what I had in mind for kid friendly.

Then again, the Anime series Naruto is also for kids, and yet the plot had a brother murdering his parents in cold blood in front of his 5 year old little brother, just to get his brother to learn to hate and get stronger…

so maybe kids these days are a lot tougher than my Doraemon childhood.

Being an uber SW geek of long standing I’ll go so far as to say it’s looking good. Okay, yeah the droids have GOT TO GO!!! Somebody please take the crack pipe away from Lucas.

Other than that, it’s good. I agree with you Mr Lister Sir, the eel scene was freaking awesome. Classic horror movie humour there and pulled off well.

And the art in these is brilliant, vibrant and well thought out. It’s nice and clear and you can tell what’s happening all the time instead of squinting and trying to catch a microscopic detail. Although whoever is animating Padme’s sorry Barb really needs to check some anatomy books out cause her body is a 90lber but her sorry Barb is that of a ba-donka-donka-donk.

All in all I’m going with my 10 year olds “two thumbs up mom”.

I actually enjoyed Padme’s SorryBarb…well as much as one can enjoy a computer animated sprite…

It looks to be in the same animation style as most comics, the females always have the two sizes too small skin tight -show it off girl- outfits. I think Padme also had some sort of Barbie Breast augmentation . . .

That said, my 5 year old daughter is not really interested in the series, while my 6 year old son wants to watch them 5 or 6 times and looks towards Friday to watch the new one. I chalk it up to the Ba-donka-donk “sorry barb”.:smiley: