Classic Sci-Fi Movies

Since Hollywood seems to be in permanent re-make mode, why not have an arc on some original sci-fi movies like The Day the Earth Stood Still, Tron or The Forbidden Planet. If possible, a second podcast on the remake could be done upon release.

Other older films like THX 1138 or Dark Star might be fun, too.

This is an idea I’ve been touting for a decade. Seriously.

Some friends of mine used to do a Sunday movie night, where they would have a party and invite folks over in the afternoon to watch a couple flicks. I was always campaigning to do a version A/version B twofer, but it never happened.

Short answer: I think this is a great idea.

I’m all for a classic arc…Logan’s Run, Soylent Green…etc.

I do own both on dvd and I would add on Silent Running as worth a watch.

This is definitely something to put on the To-Do list after BSG is over. This is a great idea.

Silent Running is on Netflix Instant as well. We’ve got to throw The Thing in too, Classic and Kurt Russell versions.

Here is the list so far (I put the ones I added in yellow):

Version A / Version B

The Day the Earth Stood Still
Tron
Forbidden Planet
The Thing
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The War of the Worlds
Planet of the Apes

Cult classics

THX 1138
Dark Star
Logan’s Run
Soylent Green
Silent Running
The Andromeda Strain
Fantastic Voyage

Yeah, Fantastic Voyage! I still have a little cardboard model I made of the Proteus, I must have been 13 or something. Used a gumball machine clear plastic bubble for the pilot’s canopy, and the back hinges open to show the laser scalpel sitting on a table. Whole thing is about 5 inches long. I need to photo that…it’s older than 3/4 of the posters on GWC !!

Well, if we’re going to include cult classics…anyone feel hackers is worth a watch?

Not me! I don’t consider that one a classic. Sorry, but I found it barely watchable.

I like the list…as long it’s the original versions of The Thing, Invasion and War of the Worlds. :smiley:

I think what was brought up was comparing original against re-make.

Looks solid, FIT.

Heres a question. What makes a classic a classic? Does it have to be 10 years or odler? Is Men in Black a classic? What about the thi Thing from Another World? What about They Live? hehe sorry

A Classic definitely needs age. I don’t think 10 years is long enough. At that point it’s settling into where it will end up. I’d say at least 15 to 20 for a real “classic”.

Excellent list! We need to ad ‘Omega Man’…or maybe even do a show about the Sci-Fi films of Charlton Heston.

Great lists! I added a few, in green.

No “Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea”? - the movie that predated the TV series (starring Richard Basehart and David Hedison). Not just any movie has a cast of Walter Pigeon, Peter Lorre, Frankie Avalon and Barbara Eden (yes that one - “fitted” skirt, beret and steno pad - secretary to Adm. Nelson) using a nuclear missle to extinguish The Van Allen Radiation Belt - which for reasons I no longer recall is burning furiously.

Holy Molee!! How did I forget that? Thanx OT!

For your viewing pleasure:

Time to get serious - I’ll let keener minds than mine decide on categorie, if any make the final cut:

Brazil (so good, it’s great - Robert DeNiro as and HVAC repairman/terrorist) - this one has to go on the list, even though it is not all that “old”

The Blob (so bad, it’s good and Steve McQueen to boot)

The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (arguably horror - a slippery slope)

The Incredible Shrinking Man (help! help!)

The Fly (the remake - too recent?)

Beginning of the End (unless movies riffed on MST3K are off limits - but it does have Peter Graves AND giant grasshoppers)

Anything with Mothra in it - but preferrably when she is in conflict with Godzilla, Rodan (sic?) and others