City of Heroes / City of Villians

Anyone else play these?

I did. But I always find myself losing interest like right after I get travel powers and coincidently can no longer effectively solo missions

I can understand that. I continue on from there because I do not play solo very much.

If you have not played in a year or so, they have made it easier to solo most mission.

So, I am a long time player of this game (50+ months of play time), and am always looking for people that might be on during my odd play times. :slight_smile:

I’m @Masked Revenger over there, and Masked-Revenger is my main toon, over on Virtue server.

My normal play times are weekdays, usually between 9:30pm and 11pm Pacific time. Weekends are usually family days, so I don’t tend to play then, but occasionally, I might get in some time.

Who else here plays?

Chris

After the 3 Latest Podcast with the game City of Heroes / Villians being mentioned, I thought I would try to revive this thread.

So I have been playing for almost a year. It is the only MMORPG I have ever played so I will not try to compare it to others. If someone else would like to do that i would be interested to hear their opinons.

I spend most of my time playing the villians side, letting my inner Dr. Horrible out. To tie it in to the Guild even more, I run a Super Group (very much like a guild) for Villians. It is called the Brotherhood of Chaos.

Here is the standard info about the Brotherhood:

* Alignment: Villain
* Supergroup Name: Brotherhood of Chaos
* Website: http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=293130
* Global Chat Channel: None yet
* Leader: Nuclear Annihilation (@Chef Inferno)
* Recruiting Officers: Operative Xysticus, Mr. Karnage
* Preferred Method of contact: Forum PM, In game chat, Website 
* Server: Protector
* Description: The Brotherhood of Chaos, is a group committed to
contributing to Chaos, anarchy, and disorder. The Brotherhood subscribes to
the theories of Darwinian evolution and believes that true human
advancement can only come by the complete destruction of current society
and norms. Our goal is to wipe the slate clean to allow the fittest of the
species to rebuild the world a better place.

We were founded to help villains new to the Rogue Isles. We are a small
group of very helpful and friendly players always looking to help fellow
players. We do not support power-leveling of any type. Initial membership is
open to all levels and Archetypes . Access to base storage is open after 1st
promotion (we do promote people pretty quick compared to other SGs). All
promotion are based on a players involvement in the group, not on prestige
earned alone. We are looking for players who participate by teaming, getting
involved in SG Chat, asking or answering question, entering information of the
website, etc.. All promotions are at the discretion of the group leaders. For
now we welcome players to add their Alts to the group, and alts will be auto
promoted to the level of the players main, if the player wishes. In the future
we may add a Alt only subgroup or a subgroup for retired toons. Base storage
is based on a "take it if you need it' this is to say, taking of salvage or hanice
to sell to make money is strictly forbidden, but if it can be used for a recipe
or for a slot you are more than welcome to take it.

I welcome any GWCer that want to check out City of Heroes, I have had fun with it and like GWC I have met many fun people online.

Oh Here is my main Villian and Super Group Leader:

Nuclear Annihilation

I Do. I have been playing for almost a year. My main server is Protector, but I do play on Virtue. my Global is @Chef Inferno. hope to see you in game

I’m digging COH/COV as well. My second character is called Mistress Dead Girl (counterpoint to Misstress Pixie on th Hero’s side) and she is a LVL 11 Nercomancer at this point and I’m having a great deal of fun with her.

Also, I seem to be able to run missions alot easier since a Necro can be a group onto themselves. Though it is a bit annoying when you bite off more than you can chew since they can’t really defend themselves well once the pets are down against anything at low levels.

Nice Villian BTW Bleu

If you enjoy CoH and you don’t mind dipping your feet into other MMO pools, I’d highly recommend Champions Online. It will probably take some time to grow, as it just came out, but I’ve been enjoying it quite a bit.

The character creation system is astounding. As someone who used CoH just to build characters to take pics of for home superhero rpgs, this says something. CO’s builder has even more options.

My biggest gripe about CoH was that it took too long to get real travel powers. I hated that Granite, my city elemental super hero, had to take the train to get places. In CO, as soon as you get out of the newbie/training zone, you’ll have enough xp to get a single travel power … and the options are awesome.

I’ll add you to my global friends list, then. :slight_smile:

-Chris

Thanks for the info. I will be sticking to CoH/CoV. There are many elements in CO that I do not care for. I kind of like having to earn my travel power (heck my level 50 Crab Spider does not even have a travel power). City of… is a very well balenced and mature game where players can make of it what they want. maybe once i am tried of City of Heroes, I will try a new one.

I just started up a free trial, and am ready to create my first character today.

Welcome aboard. To help you get started I would recommend checking out the Official City of Heroes Forums http://boards.cityofheroes.com/ and the Paragon City Wikia http://cityofheroes.wikia.com.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Thanks, Bleu. I didn’t get the chance to mess with it yesterday as I would have liked, but I’m looking forward to it! The references you listed will help.

Once you get a feel for the game, another helpful resource is http://www.cohplanner.com/ it lets you plan out your Hero or Villian so when you train new powers you are not at a loss about which one to pick. It comes in two flavors one is an online ap the other is a downloadable freeware application.

Awesome! There are resources like these for Guild Wars (a game I’ve enjoyed for years) as well. Very valuable. Thanks again, Bleu.

What Characters have you made? Which Archetype and power sets did you choose?

I’m slacking here, Bleu. I started making a character, but then I ran out of time to think it through, and haven’t gotten back to it.

Any suggestions on some good starter Archetypes and power sets?

For someone’s 1st Hero I think the following would be good:

Ranged:
Blaster with Archery, Psychic Blast or Fire for the Primary powerset and Mental or Energy Secondary.

Melee:
Scraper with Martial arts or Dual Blades Primary and Willpower or Super Reflexes

Support:
Defender, all the primaries are good to start with but Storm Summoning and Trick Arrow. Empathy is the “healing” power set. The secondary sets are all good and Archery is really good.

Remember these are just my oprinions for some ones new to the game. For example: I really like Trick Arrow, but it is not a very team supportive and tricky to play (pun intended). I am not very experienced with Storm Summoning so I would have a hard time recomending it. I did not include Tanks or Controllers, I like playing the both but the rolls they fill are very niche. I could recomend powers for them if you really want to try them too. If you were interested more in the Villians I could go over them too.

Yeah, I was 3/4 of the way through a Scrapper with Dual Blades primary, forgot the secondary. I think I’ll go back and do that one.

Please do recommend a Villian or three!

I find Corruptors and Brutes pretty resilient, but for Villains I like to try Masterminds and Stalkers just because they are the most different from the Heroes side of the game.

Masterminds can be somewhat easy at times since you never have to go anything alone. The pets do routinely die though, and it becomes a skill to call them out and buff them in effficient succession. Secondary crowd control or nuking powers lend a nice support to your pets.

Stalkers make for a slow, surgical game where you pick your fights and, with luck, escape overwhelming odds. The slow windup time for the Stalker’s assassin strike is a little group/zerg unfriendly and that makes it seem like stalkers might bring a little less to group play.

Oooh… and I just got the patch for Issue 16. Not sure when it came out as I had a busy work weekend. I guess now we can color our powers like Champions Online can.