City of Heroes / City of Villians

I tried the 14-day free trial, did a couple of characters, but the game just felt “old and tired” to me. It wasn’t immersive, nothing “grabbed me” and got me excited to play. It felt “clunky” to me in general, both movement and melee.

I guess if I had been playing it five years ago or so when it came out, it might have been more fun, and I’d have more invested in it by now (of course). As it is, I deleted it. It kind of bummed me out to do it, because I wanted to have a Mac-native game I could enjoy, and was hoping this was it.

Thanks for the suggestions, Bleu, I do appreciate it!

Have you tried Champions Online? I have a subscription to both games and to be honest I prefer Champions Online. CoX is a more matured game, of course. It’s been out longer. That is, CoX has more material right now, not necessary more mature players. Cryptic Studios had a hand in developing BOTH games and it feels like their development skills grew a bit more with the newer game, Champions.

Hey gang!

Sorry I haven’t been around. I got seriously sick for like a week, and then got caught up in life (some good, some bad, you know how it goes). Anyway, I’m still in game, just not as often as I used to be. If anyone is on Virtue, look me up. Otherwise, just make me a global friend, and then we can talk, at least, no matter what server you’re on.

My global handle is @Masked Revenger.

-Chris

Pete, I think your opinons of the game are quite valid. Sorry It did not grab you. My tastes in games are unique and I am sure that CoH’s game play is not for everyone, but it is what I like. So, “to each, their own.” Good luck finding something you like for the Mac.

Chris, I sent you an offline message. Dunno if you got it.

Thanks, Bleu. It was worth giving it a try. I think I’m going to be “stuck” dual-booting my MBP for the foreseeable future if I want to continue gaming.

My son put together a killer Ritualist farming build for Guild Wars, so I’ll have to go give that a whirl.

http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/news_archive/thank_you.php

Farewell, from all of us at Paragon Studios

This morning we announced that Paragon Studios will be taking to the skies of City of Heroes for the last time.

In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios. Effective immediately, all development on City of Heroes will cease and we will begin preparations to sunset the world’s first, and best, Super Hero MMORPG before the end of the year. As part of this, all recurring subscription billing and Paragon Market purchasing will be discontinued effective immediately. We will have more information regarding a detailed timeline for the cessation of services and what you can expect in game in the coming weeks.

To our Community,

Thank you. Thank you for your years of support. You’ve been with us every step of the way, sharing in our challenges, encouraging us to make City of Heroes better, more than everyone else thought it could be. We couldn’t have come this far without you. I implore you all, focus on the good things of CoH and Paragon Studios. Don’t dwell on the “how” or the “why”, but rather join us in celebrating the legacy of an amazing partnership between the players and the development team.

Thank you, and I’ll see you in the skies, one last time.

More at link.

Edit: According to:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/31/city-of-heroes-developer-shuts-down

We will begin the City of Heroes sun setting process immediately with the goal to officially stop our service offerings for the franchise on November 30, 2012.

NCsoft crushes the hopes of City of Heroes fans
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/02/ncsoft-crushes-the-hopes-of-city-of-heroes-fans/

):

Response to City of Heroes® Player and Fan Suggestions
http://us.ncsoft.com/en/news/response-to-city-of-heroes-player-and-fan-suggestions.html

City of Heroes® Players and Fans,

We wanted to let you know that your voices have been heard and your concerns have been taken into serious consideration. We appreciate the overwhelmingly constructive and positive messages in the emails, notes, and packages you’ve sent in support of the game. It has not been an easy decision for us to close Paragon Studios® and prepare to shut down City of Heroes. We’ve exhausted all options including the selling of the studio and the rights to the City of Heroes intellectual property, but in the end, efforts to do so were not successful. City of Heroes has a special place in all of our hearts, and we want to ensure its reputation and the memories we share for the game end on a high note.

Once again, we will be holding events throughout the process of preparing for the game’s end, and we encourage players and fans of the franchise to join forces and enjoy their time in a game that we’ve enjoyed supporting for more than eight years.

The NCSOFT® Team