Caprica Watercooler? (Non-Spoiler Discussion)

A bit of news on Caprica, BSG’s spin off (and a really cool pic of the final four):

BSG nuts take hope: the dearth of new material brought on by the writers’ strike has revived interest in Caprica, a fully scripted pilot for a BSG prequel that’s been sitting around Sci Fi for over a year. Reports [Mark Stern, Sci Fi Executive VP of Original Programming]: “I just got a call from NBC-Universal. They want us to take another look at the project.”

The scripted pilot was written as a mini-series, I imagine. That would be great to see get started. Now, if David Hewlett’s pilot could also get started things would get very interesting. Those two pilots would provide an interesting bit of juxtaposition.

That’s good, I’ve been hoping that they would make Caprica. Even if it is scripted will they be able to make it? I’m not that familliar with how things work in the tv industry but I thought I read somewhere about not being able to make changes to the scripts on set during filming. Plus will RDM be able to (or want to for that matter) work on it while the strike is on going?

Are you talking about that ‘Starcrossed’ show. I’ve read a bit about it, it would be a show I’d watch. I quite enjoyed ‘A Dog’s Breakfast’

That makes sense. NBC just signed Moore for a two year seven figure contract…and I am sure the executives are scratching their heads trying to figure out how to wring the most value out of this contract given the giant block of time that has been taken away from it.

Solution? Greenlight a proposal that has already been completed that they know he can hit the ground running with…Caprica.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Now if we could only get them to buy the rights to Firefly…

AICN posted a story here… basically that with the continued Strike, that Sci-Fi has potentially reversed its earlier decision to cancel Caprica and is “taking another look.”

It would allow them to work on a pre-strike BSG script and fill a hiatus between the completed 10ish episodes of Season 4 and the unfilmed later section that is currently hobbled. No doubt that they are doing this now to avoid the upcoming potential strike by the DGA and the SAG-strike scheduled for summer.

RDM did say (prior to the strike) that Razor may not be the only stand alone…depenidng on how Razor did, of coruse. Maybe this is an example of that.

Good news- I’d love to see the Caprica show get going. Would really help fill the void after BSG finally ends.

I’m just afraid now that it would be an extention of the minisode we already saw (i.e just like them) and frankly they were just OK.

Frankly, I was never all that excited about the premise of the “Caprica” spinoff…until Romo Lampkin showed up. His stories about Lee’s grandfather made Joe Adama sound like an interesting character, and depending on how far back the prequel is set, couldn’t Lampkin be a character in the show? Pretty please? :slight_smile:

If done correctly I think it would be very cool. Also I know there is also absolutely zero talk of it but I would love to see a Firefly prequel! Maybe set during the unification war following the perspectives of Mal, an alliance soldier, a civilian on an outer rim planet, and a core world civilian.

A caprica series could add a lot more depth to an already great show.

I remember when I was reading the premise of Caprica that I didn’t find it that interesting at all. Seems like I remember that it was going to be a lot less science fiction oriented than BSG. If that’s true I don’t think I’d be too into it. I think BSG has the right balance of character and technology in its stories.

Who knows what kind of direction they’d really take Caprica in though. Could be great.

I just know any new BSG-related content at this point would be wonderful.

Its on! http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Scifi-Greenlights-Battlestar-Galactica-Prequel-9496.html

Weeeeeeeee!

Caprica Watercooler?
Naaaah.

But Weeeeeeee! Go Ron go!

Excellent, seems to be a backdoor pilot. I know I’ll be watching.

http://www.syfyportal.com/news424829.html

Seems we’ll have a new movie, if nothing else.

Go Steelers

Does anyone know if there are 20 or 18 episodes left? I wasn’t clear if Razor counted against the 20 hours they announced.

Here’s the original Hollywood Reporter article:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ifff588c2bae9eaff7c54472fcb6d54b5

pps. (updated): Here’s another article in which RDM says the remaining 20 episodes will tie up MOST threads, and some will be left ambiguous. And, citing the Star Trek movies, he says there won’t be a BSG big-screen movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3ifff588c2bae9eaff550189ece101e220

pps. Here’s a link to a chat with Moore and the Chicago Tribune’s Maureen Ryan, with bits about Star Trek, how Whedon wanted to direct and episode, and apparently a bit about Rolo Lampkin (possible spoilage):

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2008/03/battlestar-gala.html

The last thing I read (a while ago) said that Razor did infact count as one of our episodes. Id like to believe that maybe that is not correct.

And as far as Caprica is concerned - while Im unable to imagine its real angle of appeal from here, Im willing to trust that it could be a very awesome show.

I seem to recall that Razor was ordered as a completely separate project (e.g., effects budget wouldn’t affect the regular season.) Too lazy to google for it at the moment.

Yah, Pike’s right, its completely separate. They origanilly wanted it to be episodes 1 and 2 of a 22 episode season but Skiffy wouldn’t give them 22 eps. so they asked for a 20 ep. season with a 2 hour movie.

Skiffy needs to learn math.

I think you’re all missing the more exciting news:

More webisodes
New games (That will probably suck, but I’ll still play)
First episode 9 hours early (Which will crash scifi.com for sure)

Oh and first time post woooo