caprica final thoughts (Canadian Spoilers!!!)

Yes, maybe they realised their Willie didn’t fit (fnar), so needed to do away with him and make a new one. But perhaps it was planned out as a key plot device to get the Adama brothers to rebel against and kill the Guatral (any consensus on spelling there?). It also crossed my mind that they were just frakking with our heads to make us think Adama was going to be resurrected Cylon style. Until I realised this wasn’t the case I thought they were actually going to do it - maybe just to have some fun and go out with a bang once they found out Caprica was being cancelled and they may has well drop a bomb just for the hell of it.

Despite the proposed holes and screw ups, I think they certainly succeeded with putting together a great show. I didn’t have as many problems with the inconsistencies and questions in Caprica as I had with the ending of BSG, which I enjoyed on one level but couldn’t accept as convincing on another (but let’s not reopen old wounds!). I quite liked the idea of Clarice preaching to the Cylons - with her Messiah complex I’m sure she’d jump at the chance of having any followers, human or otherwise. I’m sure she’d find a use for them for some political or religious purpose. Zoe could easily have found Clarice useful a John the Baptist kind of tool to set her up as a Cylon messiah (or god), so that she could use the Cylons for her own purposes - I’m guessing she still had some agenda once “returned” to the real world (and I interpreted the church as being in the real world rather than V world). A Cylon army, or at least Cylon followers, to help promote her brand of monotheism? I’m guessing the relationships would have been explained in S2.

The final wrap-up/montage was very reminiscent of I Robot, whether a la Will Smith or Isaac Asimov, and the whole robot rights and beginnings of sentience thing was there - I can imagine Cylons with the beginnings of consciousness (and something of Zoe in their psychological makeup) taking to a religion to help them make sense of their identity and place in the world.

Ah, long rambling posts on the forum - just like old times with BSG! Here’s hoping for Blood and Chrome.

It seems plain and clear from the DVD commentary that the all the episodes and commentary were done and in the can and burned to DVD before they found out or suspected that Caprica was gonna be canceled.

It could have been Head Zoe, who is shown to be able to manifest herself in V-World and the real world. So they could have just been being tight lipped about where they were going with it.

I love this idea.

So I finally watched the last 5 episodes.

First of all- Fraking SyFy. Yet again, they have managed to cancel another good show. After these last 5 episodes, I think the show was on its way to something really good. I was so interested in seeing how the Caprica universe was going to tie and/or evolve into the BSG universe. Maybe the new show Blood and Chrome will answer those questions for me.

I really liked the Tauron daughter of the guattro (not sure how that is spelled?). She was very interesting, and I wish she could have been in more than the last 2 episodes. They could have spent a lot more time on her story, why she was in prison, etc. This show in general had really strong female characters, which was good to see.

What happened to Tamara? She disappeared in the last episode. And while I can’t really say that I missed her, it would have been nice to have a little more resolution to her character. Zoe just left her in their new beaucolic V-world castle, and we never got to see what happened to her. Did anyone else think that what Zoe and Tamara were doing was somehow related to Cylon projection?

I did not see Willie # 1’s death coming. That really shocked me! But it does make sense, as far as Bill Adama’s timeline. I really liked Evelyn too. I am glad her and Joseph ended up together.

Lacy turned out to be a badass, no?

And then of course there is CLARICE! She was so deliciously evil. In the last episode, when she told her (one of many) husbands that she was not going to the stadium, I was not surprised at all. I would have loved to see where they took her character, had the show continued. Because you know she would not have given up on her quest for apotheosis.

Sigh. It’s a shame really, because the show was starting to find itself, I think. I can’t help but wonder how it would have done on another network such as AMC.

Oh, I forgot to ask- can anyone share what RDM and David Eick said on the Caprica DVD commentary? Did they give any hint of what ideas they had in store for the next season?

Um, duh. I just scrolled down into the thread, and got my answer to this question!

Yup. I was gonna say, most of the good stuff from the DVD commentary I mentioned earlier in the thread.

…Also, I think there’s another Caprica thread somewhere? I forget.

Interestingly, RDM wasn’t on ANY of the commentary. And for Season 1.5 David Eick was on a couple of 'em. But the new show runner Kevin Murphy did the commentary for some of the key episodes such as the finale.

Who/what the frak was the Old Goo Guy (aka OGG)? Not Dan’l Greystone, because he figured out how to make skin jobs. (That guy can do anything!)

The writers had a chance, even with the series being axed, to come up with something special and truly tie Caprica to BSG - make the hair on the backs of our necks rise - our jaws drop - but Nooooo.

Reminded me of writing an answer to a history exam essay question about which I was clueless and just working to fill the pages and for the monitor to shout “time!”.

Godsdammit.

I thought OGG or Goo Daddy could still be DG. When Zoe ‘resurrected’ for a flash you could see that she was skin over a robotic shell. However fully biological skin job tech only came from the Final 5. So the guardians could still be working with DG to make biological colons independently.

Damn iPhone autocorrect strikes again. Obviously I meant Cylons.

I didn’t know where to put this, so here goes :

I’m just saying, they should give her a regular spot in Big Bang Theory!

//youtu.be/GEmFnz6A7Uk

//youtu.be/DKAscW05M7U

“- I think it’s sad that SyFy stopped airing the show just when we get to see a whole lot of kickass cylon action. I remember some of the complaints about the show earlier on had to do with the lack of action, cylons, spaceships, etc, and seeing how the season progressed, I don’t think that would have been a complaint anymore. Which makes me wonder a whole lot whether Caprica would have survived had the season aired the whole way through in one run instead of being spliced and pushed around the schedule (or at the end, not even aired til next year) for no good reason at all. And that makes me angry at SyFy again.”

I couldn’t agree more with comment about Syfy; I feel that the channels management ( and portions of NBC/Universal) are making a big mistake with their programming decisions.
First off is this 10 episode business and calling it a half season when the other half airs in the late fall. Obviously this is so the video unit can sell DVD’s; its good for business but bad for story telling. The momentum that was built up in the episode where the prototype broke out of jail was completely lost when the show went into hiatus in March last year. We had to wait until November to fine out what happens. And this didn’t only happen with this show, Stargate “Galactica” suffered the same fate: cancellation. Although theirs came from, in my opinion, unoriginal storytelling.
In the end they just wanted BSG back in some form. Blood and Chrome will be a ill fated attempt to capture the magic of Ron Moore’s storytelling.