Caprica Canned

I’ll join the chorus here. I am very disappointed and seriously pissed off. Why do they have to delay the last few episodes? That makes no sense to me at all.

I’m also not surprised about the cancelation (Very surprised they pulled the episodes tho). Not one word was said at Comic Con and that’s really the place for news, so no news is never a good thing.

I felt like the show really got moving. When they have these disjointed starts and stops with broadcasts, it’s hard to get grounded in the world. (LOST had some issues with this & they stopped breaking up the season)

I agree that it’s hard to get excited about a show when they’re so quick to cancel something. I feel very betrayed by SyFy. I don’t feel like they care for our audience at all. Why isn’t there another network out there with Sci-Fi programing? BBC America has some good options, but not everyone can get that channel.

FRAK, FRAK, FRAK!

It makes perfect sense to me. They are trying to make money by making people buy the DVD set before it is aired on TV. Just like the Stargate movies. Just like The Plan.

Lost was moved around and we endured the schedule changes. I was a mad fan when they did that- I let them know.
I was mad when Dancing with the Stars ran over into Castle messing up my DVR. I wasn’t alone because it hasn’t happen again, ABC delayed Castle, starting it two minutes late.
So yeah, I don’t think SyFy cares about it’s fans when it has a show with a loyal following. ABC learned not to mess with loyal, crazy fans.

In about 3 weeks, the final five episodes (complete with full frontal dong shots) will be leaked and torrented and everyone that wants to see them will get to. Then SyFy will stream them from their website (dongless) and then the DVD will be released. Then and only then will SyFY actually show it on the channel for the 3 people who have yet to see it. At least, that’s my theory.

Caprica really got the shaft in terms of schedule, and suffered way worse than LOST. Lost had issues, but the issues were similar to all other shows on network tv - having to run 22-24 episodes for an entire year, and thus repeats were unavoidable. So they tried fixing it with S3 where it had the weirdest schedule ever (6 episodes, then half a year later, the rest), but at least after that season, they finally fixed it for good and did it 24 style - airing in January and letting the show run without repeats for 3 seasons.

Whereas Caprica never had a straight up normal schedule.

• It was a DVD pilot first, right after BSG finished (where I think Caprica also lost viewers there because not everyone was pleased with the finale of BSG, at least not right after it ended.)
  • Then instead of airing the season straight after that release, only months later, the actual pilot aired on tv with the supposed full season.
  • Then that changed, and it only ran for 9 episodes/half a season, and it got cut off just when things started getting good on the show.
  • Then they announced 1.5 to air a year later, which is a LONG hiatus, especially since the show wasn’t even meant to be aired as two separate seasons with a giant hiatus in between to begin with.
  • Only to have that date changed again and moved up earlier. Which sounds great, since it’s to a better time slot…
  • but at the same time, because they moved up the schedule maybe a month prior to the airing of this season, it got virtually no promotion (or at least, not promoted at the right time slot in the major events like comicon and whatnots). If they wanted to air it earlier, which is great, why not announce it sooner so the show can receive all the promotion it can get?
  • And then after 4 episodes of the 1.5 run, they cancel the show.
  • Which is a little expected, especially after they moved it up, but then they do us in finally by taking the show out of the schedule completely and not airing the final episodes til god knows when.
  • So, at no point in time did Caprica ever had a normal schedule as a show. It changed at every juncture it could change at.

I think other than Firefly (which got royally screwed because the episodes ran completely out of order), I don’t know any other show that had as screwed up (or a as setup to fail) a schedule as Caprica did. I’m less pissed about the cancellation (which was expected given the ratings, and to be absolutely fair, it was an imperfect show with some great stuff but also some not so great stuff, unlike BSG, which started off with a BAM!) than how Scifi treated a show they have no reason to treat so shabbily (in order to make short term money of it, or maybe they were too confident that BSG viewers will watch any BSG related stuff, and thus made decisions - like putting out a pilot DVD first months before the actual season began - they thought wouldn’t affect the show, but did. But Caprica is very different than BSG tonally (plus it took a lot more time for the show to get its bearings - in a way, it is still doing that right now), and it needed the nurture Scifi never gave it).

Right, it changed for me after Firefly was cancelled.
Geez, the likes of Babylon 5 would never make it now.

under the current conditions in the industry buffy and cheers would not have made it past the first season…

So its not just syfy or fox ; its all off them i think they need to ditch the 20+ episode model for a season and just sign a 5 to 10 episode commitment, allowing the creators to finish there contained story, and if they want more they can re-up. but this way it just sets our expectations low enough that the indusrty doesnt slither underneath it for once.

i mean if you anounce that your going to do a 6 hour miniseries and you give me a 6 hour miniseries guess what im probably gonna be a hell of a lot cooler about it than if you say were going to give you a season of a show and kill it off half way through. same sucky result but it just feels like your screwing us a little less.

This is bullshart! Fraking SyFy is run by a bunch of jarkoffs. :frowning:

It’s almost as if these TV programmer experts have no idea what they’re doing, in any way, at any time.

That can’t be it.

Right?

:frowning:

Feeling slightly more upbeat today, and thinking that this thread should have been called “Capri-Canned”.

I blame each and every person that watches wrestling on SYFY.:mad:

My tuesday nights have been…
8:00pm NCIS
9:00pm Stargate Universe
10:00pm Sons of Anarchy AND Caprica… (both featuring Paula Malcomson)

so on alternate Tuesdays i would watch one at 10 (“live”) and then start the DVR of the other.

oh… and Paula Malcomson has been seen in upcoming 'The Event" previews.

and is it a coincidence that Caprica was mentioned on Big bang theory the day it was announced it was canceled.

Hey, me too! :smiley: I love, love, love her accent on SoA (kind of an odd/a little underwhelming season so far, huh?)

My wife and I watch SoA and we were both pretty let down after the first several eps. So we let the last three (not counting this week’s) stack and watched them all together.

Some shows are just better when put together as larger chunks. I tihnk BSG and Caprica generally work better that way, too.

I was thinking about that. I think there’s a change coming down the pike.

hears ‘Get off my Lawn’ in the distance No, not that Pike.

I think we’re going to see more webseries productions. Instead of straight to DVD or whutever, straight to the 'net. Dr. Horrible, Legend of Neil, and The Guild are just the start. Upstart production companies and jaded producers will challenge the mighty networks.

Maybe. Just a thot.

I think you’re right. When you look at the increasing quality of the various fanfilms, there’s going to be a convergence at some point.

Wrestling and Siffy seems like a bad match (no pun intended), but it subsidizes a lot of the core programming in a way that Dogosaur, Mansquito, and BatCat aren’t going to.

agreed; i mean i would love and i mean love a network who played reality tv or wrestling , or sex and the city 24/ 6 accept one day a week they played firefly , sgu, caprica. and supernatural problem is that the people that run these places dont care about sci fi or fans they care about money and that one day a week would dissapear; sad fact balance sheets are more imortant than people in these kind of things.

Besides… wrestling has been in the doldrums for awhile now. When it makes the next comeback, you’ll be in on the ground floor.

NWO for life!

BatCat!?!?!? I missed BatCat!!!

I made up that one, but give it six months. They’ll do it.