Book Club Selection: September

Greetings and Salutations fellow GWC Book Crüe and welcome to the continuing reboot of the Book Club. Thank you for all who participated in the August jump start…here we go with September.

Please note:
[ul]
[li]You will be able to vote for multiple books this go around[/li][li]You will have 20 books to chose from[/li][li]Campaigning is recommended. This is friendly and fun. If you have thoughts about a particular book…let us know![/li][li]Your votes will not be public[/li][*]Voting will close on September 1[/ul]Let the games begin!

Great! All is as it should be.

Voting starts on the 15th, I suppose?

Starts now. Currently all my choices are tied for first!

I never get tired of reading “Snowcrash” Thats my first choice. Its really the book that predicted/set the frame work up for Second Life. Only there are far fewer Furries in Snowcrash.

Actually, the description of the virtual world in it is probably taken from the LambdaMOO online environment, which was sort of a text predecessor to Second Life.

But yeah, there’s a short list of books that probably should be forced upon anyone who hasn’t read them, and Snow Crash is definitely one of them.

Also i didn’t realize that it was a multiple choice poll. But i give real high props to World War Z and Neuromancer.

Neuromancer got me thru AP English and got me a passing grade on my final AP English Exam.

World War Z is all about Zombies and anything involving Zombies is super sweet.

I also gotta give props to Foundation, Moon…, and all the other classics as well.

But alas all my books are still packed away in the back corner of my Storage Unit. So we have to choose something that i don’t have. I thing the George R. R, Martin one. Cause i’ve heard he is great but i haven’t read him

Game of thrones, which is probably the best read of the whole bunch, is straight up fantasy, and no science. I’m not sure if people want to read fantasy. (I do, but you may not.)

I am a huge fan of cyberpunk, and while William Gibson is the forefather of the genre, I have a soft spot for Neal Stephenson. Snow Crash is an awesome book, and I highly, highly recommend it. You simply can’t go wrong with a heart-warming tale about ninja swordfighting, espionage, computer virus, drug abuse, Tower of Babel, and pizza delivery.

Don’t know if you knew but Neal Stephenson is about to release a new book called Anthem release date of Sept 9th

Um. Vote for Asimov, people! Because we should read Foundation together. Because it’s fun.

I suck at persuasion sometimes.

Yeah, I heard a while back, but completely forgot about it since. Thanks for the reminder.

I for one am very curious to find out what a space opera is.

Space opera is a term normally used to tell an epic Space story. Star Wars would technically be considered a Space Opera of sorts. They are often big and grand. They will have space battles lots of thrilling adventures. That’s my take on it at least. Basically its a Soap Opera in Space…

So, it’s Ugly Betty meets Red Dwarf?

Yes…and maybe a little CSI thrown in

I’d love to see ‘A Game of Thrones’ get a group read. I’m in a middle of a re-read of the series myself, just started ‘A Feast for Crows’. I need new material, or at least a date of release for A Dance with Dragons.

Ugly Betty meets Red Dwarf, with a little CSI thrown in, written by Neal Stephenson. That’s just crazy enough to work!

Come to think about that pretty much does describe much of Stephenson works. it reminds me a bit of Big U which is one of my faves by Stephenson even though he hates it.

Vote Watchmen!!

This would be a good time to do it. The books are flying off the shelves (probably geeks buying it for their S.O.s)

But Fox is threatening to shut it down.

Bad Fox! Bad!

You know, a person who’s new to the forum might think strange things when they click on “new posts” and see that Solai has put up a “Sticky Poll”

Solai goes to the Sticky Pole? What a coincidence, that’s my favourite adult establishment!