Book Club Selection: January

Greetings and Salutations fellow GWC Book Crüe and welcome to the Book Club.
Please note:

• You will be able to vote for multiple books
  • Campaigning is recommended. This is friendly and fun. If you have thoughts about a particular book…let us know!
  • Your votes will be public per the vote
  • Voting will close on December 30

Be sure to take a look around the forum to read some very interesting discussions which may help you decide what to vote on!

I apologize that we didn’t have a lobbying period this time around.

I think Yiddish Policeman’s Union would be a great choice. New stuff! Popular stuff!

And full disclosure: I also already have a copy of Yiddish Policemen’s Union that I’ve been unable to get to, and the GWC book club would be the perfect way to “have” to read it, rather than my work reading :wink:

Neurmancer. If we don’t do this one, we’ll have to hang our heads in shame if we ever have a con meetup…

Can we add Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein?

Huh. I could have sworn it was an earlier option, but I can’t find it.

Post a thread in the Bookclub Selection folder and it’ll be included as a choice next time 'round.

I have to reiterate, for those voting - I think we should try to get a range of authors, and not keep reading works by the same people.

Which is why, despite the fact that I like it a lot, I didn’t vote for I, Robot, since we already did Foundation.

Plus I really hate Heinlein. Sorry guys.

Wait, we did Heinlein?

Pike: Totally down with you re: Neuromancer. Gotta do it. I see it’s out to an early lead, and I hope it wins.

Casilda: Totally understand where you’re coming from, but voted for I, Robot (among others) because I’d get a kick out of discussing it in light of all the “The movie sucks because it’s not like the original work” arguments I fielded in the Will Smith arc. :slight_smile:

Everyone: Remember that we now do a monthly GWC Book Club TalkCast, so whatever you choose you’ll get the chance to discuss it with the rest of the group in real time as well as on the forum.

I’m a little disappointed Game of Thrones isn’t on there given the green light HBO gave the series…perhaps when it gets closer to actually airing would be more appropriate.

I voted for the ZOmbie one…I’ve heard some really good things aobut it. I’d really like to read it.

Start a thread about it and it will added next time around (or nudge an existing thread if there is already one out there)

I have to tell you I have read about 1/4 of World War Z and it is awesome. I can’t find any time to read more, but I am still thinking about it. Very well done.

Yeah… I read Starship Troopers for you people! :wink:

Right Chuck, I thought of that too. And it’s a good rationale.

Oh, right. I never did find my copy.

Hello book peoples, I’m new on the forums but I’ve been looking for a book group! Don’t know if I’ll be able to make the Hitchhiker’s meet, since my parents will be in town, but definitely looking forward to virtually participating.

No worries. Post when you can, the threads don’t close. (And I’ve yet to make the talkshoe podcast myself.)

Oh, and welcome aboard!

This is gonna be a tight one. And I’m happy to see that Solaris has been garnering more and more votes every month for the past couple of months. One of these days it will hopefully end up on top of the list. It’s the one SciFi book by a non-English-speaking author that everybody needs to have read.

Wow…nearly a three way tie! Unprecedented!

I have read it, I think. Lemme go check my bookshelf…
<scurries off>
Hmmm I see Polaris, but not Solaris. I’ll have to dig deeper. I swear I’ve read it.

Bumping in hopes of a tie-breaker (vote Gibson, vote often.)

I voted Neuromancer. Need more cyberpunk!

And then someone voted “I, Robot.” Well, at least it’s a two-way tie now.