A Song of Ice and Fire series (spoilers for all 4 books)

Hard to say. I lean towards punishment because of the way it was administered (“a cup for Arya” when she’s supposed to be ‘no one.’)

Of course, it could be both.

I’m under the impression that the blindness is the next step in FM training. The fact that there was a blind acolyte wasn’t mentioned for no reason. It would be extremely unreasonable for the Kindly Man to expect Arya to be able seperate her personalities completely at this early a stage of her training. But I think she did lie well enough for her to move to the next level. She also proved she could kill for reasons other than survival. I’m sure Arya grew up with talk about anyone who deserts the Night’s Watch deserves death. She is also must have heard at some point that the who passes the sentence should swing the sword. I imagine that this will require her to use her other senses. It’s been a while but I also remember quite an important courtesan was mentioned in some of Arya’s chapters. I think she’ll get some training from her at some point.

Also who will Arya’s first assignment be. Cersei? I’m not sure it’s ever been explicitly made clear but I think there might be some connection between the Iron Bank of Braavos and the FM. Cersei hasn’t being paying her debts (some Lannister she is). Prehaps Dany? I’d like to see her back in the North, especially the wall. Someone might want Stannis out of the way. Maybe even Jon, although no way she’d go through with that one.

I’m not sure that Arya killed the bard at all. Claiming she did may have been her lie.

Regardless, the way the cup was given to her seems to be a test that she fails. Blindness is likely part of their training, but it may be that it isn’t a necessary part and is only given to those that fail that test after a certain period of time.

When the Bloody Mummers cut off Jaime’s hand, and captured Brienne, I had to put the book down for a few days. I dreaded to see what would happen to her. She is one of my favorite characters. I like how the relationship between her and Jaime developed, and wonder if she is really dead.

I also really like Bran, and am anxious to see where his story goes. I love the brother and sister travelling with him and Hodor as well- I can’t remember their names!

I can’t help but wonder too what will happen to Rickon, and if he will play a more prominent role at some point. Probably not, because he is so young. He’s not much of a character at all in the TV show, which is too bad. But my heart ached for him in the books- his mother left him, his father was killed, and once Winterfell was destroyed that broke my heart even more. (That was another part that really got to me.) I think that is part of why I dislike Catelyn so much. As a Mom I really struggled with her decision to leave some of her children behind when she went south to King’s Landing. It bothered me throughout the whole first book.

That’s a great point. Kindly man did say “a cup for ‘Arya’.” If she were truly “No one,” then she should have refused the cup meant for someone else.

This more about the TV show, but related to the books. I just wanted to keep it out of the other treads as it’s somewhat spoilery

Anyone have thoughts on one of Syrio’s lines this week “There is only one God, and his name is Death…”. It could be nothing, but that sounds like Faceless Man talk to me. Of course the producers are probably aware of the theory that Syrio and Jaquen are the same person and maybe they are messing with us. Still, it really stood out to me.

Yeah, that jolted me upright. Is it just foreshadowing?

I’m with Pike in wondering if it’s just foreshadowing, or what. I think though for those who haven’t read the book it’s just a generic ‘warrior’ outlook, or something like that.

I’m currently re-reading A Clash of Kings and I’m curious, does anyone think Stannis’ sword is actually Lightbringer? I know the first time I read it I believed it was but the more I re-read the books the more I’m convinced it’s not and it is part of some scheme by Melisandre.

Most think it is not. It is something unusual, though. It’s not the same trick as the warrior monk (whose name escapes me at the moment. Thoros?)

I don’t think it’s Lightbringer. I’m pretty convinced it’s some kind of evil sword, and Melisandre is the equivalent of a Westeros Phelps, convinced that she’s doing the right thing but she’s actually incredibly evil. Dany is totally Azor Ahai reborn, y’all.

SO. I finished my yearly A Clash of Kings reread last night, and in Arya’s last chapter of the book, I picked up on something I never have before. When she’s in Roose Bolton’s chamber, I always paid more attention to her finding out about her brothers. I should have been paying more attention to the rest of the scene, since that entire conversation plays out in A Storm of Swords. Everyone in that room save her is connected to the Freys by blood or marriage, and they’re all convinced that Robb needs to be taken out. And then the raven comes with the message that Robb dishonored them by breaking his betrothal and gives them an excuse. (And the part where Elmar Frey, the guy she’s freaking betrothed to, is sobbing his heart out to her, makes me giggle so hard since neither of them has a clue… until she says “I hope your princess dies” and I realize how much prescient stuff has been going on. Every few chapters in ACOK, Catelyn thinks something that comes true in ASOS, for example.)

I’m in complete agreement about Dany being Azor Ahai.

It always amazes me how many new things I pick up on every time I re-read the books. I just finished ACOK again and still missed that bit in te Arya chapter.

It’s tough being a Stark.

I just read the Red Wedding chapters!!! I am so UPSET!!

I didn’t expect that to happen. I had to re-read the last 2 pages about 3 times to fully believe what just happened. And then, there is the slight hope that maybe it’s a dream sequence (not that GRRM has done it before), but the next chapter confirms it. I think I need a wee break from the books. But, with this break, I would like somewhere to discuss my thoughts. But, going to message boards you run the risk of being spoiled, which I was (spoiled on Joffrey’s fate, which did cheer me up a bit :). Even this thread, I didn’t read any of the posts, just scrolled to the end. I just know that all of you here have read these chapters, and likely experienced a similar heart ache.

It’s not like Robb or Catelyn are/were my favorite characters, GRRM does not give you the chance to get to know Robb, and Catelyn’s POV is annoying. It’s just depressing, because I was looking forward to the reunion of Arya, Catelyn & Robb. And I know, there were forewarnings: Grey Wind’s reaction, the absence of the friendly Freys and the tears of the new bride. But, I think I was powering through to get to the reunion scene that this scene caught me unawares.

And now, where does the war go? The Lannisters have won! For now. But, the good thing about being spoiled, I know that they are about the suffer ?

But, I am still thinking about putting the book in the freezer for a bit.

Putting the book in the freezer seems to be a common reaction. I first heard that reaction back when the folks over at Geekson interviewed George several years ago and they were talking about reactions to some of the events in the books.

To make the Red Wedding even worse, George totally told us it was going to happen back in A Clash of Kings, which I missed the first two times I read it. Dany has a vision of it in the House of the Undying.

Yeah, there were a lot of things that did not make sense when I read those passages the first time. Maybe I will go back and re-read that chapter, while A Storm of Swords freezes :smiley:

I was also reading an interview with George, saying that the Red Wedding chapters were the last that he wrote for A Storm of Swords, because it upset him so much to write them.

I re-read the books for the 3rd time when my friend was reading them for the 1st time and I was blown away when I caught that the Red Wedding was given away in the House of the Undying. I love that no matter how many times I read it I’m always finding something I missed.

I can understand how the Red Wedding would be hard to write, since it was horrible enough to read. It so made me wish Robb had been a POV character because I liked him the most out of the five Kings.

Yeah, I read A Game of Thrones about a year ago, and then when the series started, I realized that I didn’t remember the book at all. So I re-read it again. And it’s amazing how much you get the second time round. I can only imagine how much more you would get a third.

In a way I am happy that I have discovered this series now. I have a friend who has been waiting for about 5 years for A Dance with Dragons. I am also a Wheel of Time fan, so I am well versed with the art of waiting for a series to finish!!

The fact that I get something new out of the series every time I read is why George is my favorite author.

I’ve been waiting over six years for A Dance with Dragons and it’s been excruciating. I started the series before A Feast for Crows came out and since Dance was originally supposed to be part of that book it’s been a really long wait. I thought the wait between the Harry Potter books or Mass Effect games was hard but those are easy waits especially since a few of my favorite characters weren’t even in that book.

Averting my eyes from the thread (don’t want to be spoiled!), but I just finished one of the Davos chapters in book 2, and holy crap, the image of Melisandre birthing a Stannis (I’m guessing) shadow on the boat underneath Storm’s End will forever be etched in my head.

WTF IS THAT?!?!?!

I had to pause for a bit and catch my breath before continuing, it so disturbed me. Holy crap. Poor Davos, he had to see it right in front of his eyes.

I’m now really curious who they’d cast as Melisandre now (And Stannis and Davos, oooh, and Penrose) next year. In my head, she’d be played by Tilda Swinton.