A Dance With Dragons discussion **SPOILERS**

Since the release of Dance is now only hours away I thought it would be a good idea for a separate thread for discussion of the book so that spoilers can be kept out of the other A Song of Ice and Fire thread.

I’m going to spoil EVERYONE!!! :smiley:

but only on this thread

Hahahaha! I’ll be back after I have read the book…

I’ve just finished it. I’ve been reading all day. I’ll need to gather my thoughts before starting any discussion.

Wow! That’s impressive. I can barely finish the newspaper.

And I only read the comics.

Weird thought because I just got to this point a whilst reading at lunch, so
[Spoiler]Drogon the unruly, Black Dragon flies North on his own when about the same time the Three Eyed Crow tells Bran that he will never walk again but he will fly.
just a thought
[/spoiler]

I want more resolution! AGGHHH

(I may need a few days before I have more to say)

OK, so…

I love what’s up with Arya. Because she’s awesome.
The Greyjoys in the North were hard to read, but I think enjoyable.
Dany in Meereen… what a knot! I did cheer though when she got up on Drogon and just flew away from them all… bunch of ungrateful jerkfaces.

I’m not sure what to make of Tyrion’s storylines.

I wanted more of Bran than what we got…

I definitely cheered when Arya showed up again. I was even excited to see Cersei’s POV.

I really liked the last Dany scene, where she’s preparing to see the khalasar next to Drogon. I can see that, and it is awesome.

What I’ve been chewing on…

• that letter. Someone needs to kill Ramsay the bastard already. Hopefully in a painful and embarrassing way.
  • Varys’s appearance. So, he wants to sow conflict, constantly? In the benefit of Aegon? or for chaos’ sake.
  • JON. !!!

I enjoyed the book. But a little bit more pay off for some of the story lines would have been nice. Hopefully it won’t be too long until The Winds of Winter

The thread title is clearly marked for spoilers, so I’m not going to bother with spoiler boxes. But for extra warning HERE BE SPOILERS!!!

It’s hard to no where to start. I’ll start with the negative. The Mereen stuff was pretty dull. It seemed to drag a bit, and it’s difficult to care. I know I was really looking forward to Tyrion meeting up with Dany, and it was so close, but he didn’t quite get there.

Now something more positive. Lord Manderly rocks. he’s a total badass. When Davos was said to be dead in AFfC I didn’t believe it for a second. I figured it must have been somesort of plot. But I didn’t realise how cool Lord Manderly would be. Anyone work out what was in those pork pies he served to the Bolton? :eek:

Speaking of the North, I was really exited about he reveal of the three-eyed crow. Once I heard the line, “I’ve been watching you with a thousand eyes and one”, I knew it had to be Bloodraven. Later on they do give him a first name that confirms it. There was some evidence as far back as ASoS that Bloodraven was involved with Coldhands and The Three-eyed crow. Take a look at the arms of House Blackwood, then re-read the scene of Sam’s meeting with Coldhands. A weirwood tree surrounded by ravens. Considering that Bloodravens mother was a Blackwood… I’m really glad that I have read the Dunk and Egg stories, or Bloodravens reveal would not have been nearly as interesting to me. Speaking of Dunk and Egg when Bran is looking through time through the weirwoods, there’s a scene with a tall knight kissing a girl. That’s probably Ser Duncan as the next Dunk and Egg story apparently going to be set in Winterfell.

Aryas chapters were great. There was a lot of debate on whether her blindness was a punishment or the next step of the training. I think it’s reasonably clear it was part of the training. Plus what a great way to assassinate someone, very clever.

I’ve been thinking back and forth on whether ‘Young Griff’ is the real Aegon or not. One of Dany’s prophecys mentions “A mummer’s dragon” which suggests a fake dragon. It’s hard to say right now, but he could be a decendant of Blackfyre, Bittersteel or Aerion Brightflame if he’s not Aegon. It seems odd to introduce a new character who’s claim to the throne trumps both Dany’s and Rhaegar’s other pontential son. Speaking of which…

Now the big one, Jon. I don’t believe for a second he’s permanently dead. He’s only mostly dead. I think it’s almost certain that Jon is Azor Ahai reborn, and this is his rebirth. Let’s look at the prophecy “when the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone”. The knight who fighting with the giant had a sigil of various stars, and he was bleeding, check. When Jon was stabbed there’s this quote “In the cold night air the wound was smoking” and Bowen Marsh was crying as he stabbed him. Smoke and salt, check. The stone dragons thing is likely for the next book. Plus when Melisandre was looking into the flames for information about Stannis, she was asking to see Azor Ahai reborn and saw nothing but Jon Snow. Ding Ding Ding, I think we have a winner. If Thoros of Myr can bring Beric back to life easily, Melisandre should have no problem with Jon. Plus death would seem to end Night Watch vows, I think.

I’ll give it several weeks before I read it again. The first time I was reading a little too quickly. I was getting a bit tired towards the end. Roll on The Winds of Winter

I both agree and don’t. I was frustrated by the Meereen stuff because I wanted to throttle the whole damned city, and all of Slaver’s Bay while I’m at it. What a bunch of jerkfaces, for lack of a stronger term. I’m not sure what’s up with the Tyrion/Penny thing, either. But I do like where both characters are positioned at the end of the book.

Now something more positive. Lord Manderly rocks. he’s a total badass. When Davos was said to be dead in AFfC I didn’t believe it for a second. I figured it must have been somesort of plot. But I didn’t realise how cool Lord Manderly would be. Anyone work out what was in those pork pies he served to the Bolton? :eek:

Agreed. When he snuck down to see Davos in White Harbor, and is all badass with “The North does not forget” line - watch out Freys. I hope that entire house is wiped out (well at least the evil ones). Throw in the Bolton’s while we’re at it…

Speaking of the North, I was really exited about he reveal of the three-eyed crow. Once I heard the line, “I’ve been watching you with a thousand eyes and one”, I knew it had to be Bloodraven. Later on they do give him a first name that confirms it.

As someone who hasn’t read the Dunk and Egg stories, it didn’t really catch my eye at all. hm.

Aryas chapters were great. There was a lot of debate on whether her blindness was a punishment or the next step of the training. I think it’s reasonably clear it was part of the training. Plus what a great way to assassinate someone, very clever.

The actual faces thing is creepy - the part that was most so for me was that she could still feel the outline of her own face. ! I do hope she makes her way back to Westeros at some point, though.

I’ve been thinking back and forth on whether ‘Young Griff’ is the real Aegon or not.

yeah I’m not sure on this one. I liked the character better when he was young griff, I’m not sure what it is but when last we see him at Griffin’s Roost something just rubbed me the wrong way. Oddly enough he kind of reminded me of Joffrey (ew!)

Now the big one, Jon. I don’t believe for a second he’s permanently dead. He’s only mostly dead. I think it’s almost certain that Jon is Azor Ahai reborn, and this is his rebirth.

I’m thinking the same, in that he won’t be dead, dead. But I really don’t like the idea of Jon being undead in any way, and I’m pissed at those jerkfaces who stabbed him.

Initial thoughts:

Arya: Best story of the group. Though there was a part of me that would have liked her blindness to continue to the point where she needed a seeing-eye direwolf. Oh well.
Bran: Amazing story, but definitely needed another chapter or two.
Dany: Loved that she finally got to ride a dragon and I can’t wait to see her reception with the khals. If memory serves, she did have some vision of the dosh khaleen bowing down or something, but I can’t remember the details.
Jon: Another sad story. It was hard to watch him pack off all his loyal brothers and have only jerks remain around him. If he pulls through, I hope he rectifies that.

Other:
Ramsay snow must needs a killing. Maybe by his hounds, led by Alys Karstark? Because she seems very capable, she has a new Thenn hubby, and seems most likely/worthy of redeeming the Karstarks.

So now I can add one more to the “someone who loves someone who loves someone else” list, thanks to Barristan. But I hope Howland Reed or someone shows up to set the record straight on Jon’s mother and Ned’s mistress. I do tend to agree with the Lyanna+Rhaegar theory for Jon, but it does seem that Ned was fooling around with someone, either Ashara Dayne or Wylla. I don’t think I would buy it if he had been with both, unless they are the same person? Which…yikes, I think I need to lie down now.

Dear Jamie, Pretty sure Brienne just led you to a Lady Stoneheart trap, but whether she leads you out of it again, we’ll just have to see.

Finally, I’m beginning to think that Galazza might be the “Harpy” of the Sons of the Harpy.

Finally done.

No kidding. It’s like watching the mid-game of a chess match. If GRRM takes another six years for the next one someone is going to get all Misery on him. Tyrion and Dany in particular seem to be running to stand still.

I noticed that Jon beheaded the problematic brother. I’m pretty sure that in a preview chapter he was hanged (which seemed odd at the time.)

Poor Quentyn. I only hope that Ramsay suffers half as much.

I know that GRRM likes big numbers, but it was odd for him to talk about the snow getting ten+ feet high, and yet people are still able to ride about. I guess that’s what happens when you live in New Mexico.

GRRM has lived in Bayonne, NJ and Dubuque, Iowa, so he’s familiar with snow. But it gets pretty out of hand by any standard in ADWD.

He seems fond of big numbers. The Wall is about seventy stories high, for example.

Just finished last night.

I too was bored with Mereen, it just felt like such a no-win. Surely Dany could have found another spot/way to give her dragons time to grow. Yes, I wish Dany and Tyrion met, though that is still likely to happen.

Arya’s stuff is interesting, but I don’t see how she is connected to the story anymore. I want to see her back with her wolf, in Westros.

The Ramsay chapters were so vile and upsetting. I thought I had a strong stomach, but I don’t. Dear gods, I hope he gets his own soon.

Cersei was great, glad to have seen her. Wish we had more of Jamie & Breinne- the only Stark the Maid of Tarth can take him to is the thing that was Cat, right?

On Jon- I don’t believe he’s dead either, but I am quite concerned about where Ghost is/was in that moment.

Overall, I felt the book ended on a quite moment and I was underwhelmed. I didn’t enjoy this one nearly as much as the other four in terms of pacing and surprises. Now that the entire narrative and characters are all caught up, I hope the next book is tighter.

Question- will the dragons be the only way to fight the White Walkers?

How will everyone be connected in the end? I cannot imagine what Arya’s role will be at all. I think Tyrion will end up with Dany and help her with the dragons.

Is Milisandre good or evil? I cannot tell. Not sure how I fell about the Lord of Light- is He the only force against the the Others?

So many questions and now more waiting!

Interesting question. Everyone assumes the dragons will, but the last time anyone fought the Others there were no dragons around (at least in Westeros) and we already know one way to kill them that has nothing to do with dragons (except in name.)

I’m finally done. I have so many questions still! I’ll have to compose all my thoughts first.

But one quick question- at what point (if any) did we catch up to the end of book 4? Did any of the events in book 5 take place after the end of book 4? Or was everything happening at the same time? Does that even make sense? :slight_smile:

I don’t remember exactly where (and some of it isn’t clear) but we definitely pass the end of book four. Jaime and Brienne come to mind, as does Arya.

Wow, where to begin! I really need to do a reread of all 5 books already!

A bit all over the place, but I’m writing it down as I think of it:
-Ok, Ramsay needs to die. Period. I just don’t understand how no one has thought it a good idea to stop him by this point! Of course, Roose isn’t MUCH better…
-Love love LOVE Arya! I just wish I knew where her story was going! I don’t want her to become “no one”! She’s Arya! Arya Stark! I do love the little hints we get, tho, that Nymeria is still out there somewhere, and still linked to Arya. I think that Nym may be the key to bringing Arya back to Westeros.
-I too am truly afraid that Brienne is leading Jaime back to Lady Saltpans… I do hope he gets away! (I really really really want him to find out the truth about Joffrey’s death! I don’t like him hating Tyrion!) Otherwise, I was kind of bored by his story. Why do we care about the seige on Ravenswood? Booooring.
-Gods, it was lovely to see Cersei get some payback! I almost felt sorry for her. The High Septon and his septas were rough. Talk about interregation techniques!
-I’m with y’all on the Mereen stuff. I wanted more. When did Dany get so… meh? It felt like she totally lost sight of her goals, and I’m still not sure why she didn’t just hightail it out of there. But it was too cool when she took off on Drogon. Anyone else wonder if Hizghar’s a patsy? I never trusted him, but him as the poisoner seems too pat.
-Tyrion’s adventure had me biting my nails, sometimes in frustration, sometimes in fear. I kind of like that he’s ended up with Jorah. Penny’s just getting on my nerves, tho.
-I was disappointed we got no more of Sansa and Littlefinger.
-I have not yet decided if Melisandre is to be trusted. I’m leaning toward no. But I’m not sure if it’s just because she’s deluding herself, or if she’s causing problems out of spite.
-Manderly rocked. All the way through. It makes my skin crawl to think of the Frey’s and Boltons and their ilk defiling Winterfell. They all needs must DIE! And is anyone else wondering if Stannis is really dead or the Bolton’s are lying? And what about Theon and Jayne? I’m a little confused what happened there. Definitely have to reread…
-And JON! weep :eek: He can’t be dead he just can’t!

That’s all I can think of for now…

And Cersei. The first Cersei chapter is the first I remember thinking, “Oh! This comes AFTER AFfC!”