A Dance With Dragons discussion **SPOILERS**

I just finished reading the book yesterday and one thing is clear: I need to reread the entire series. But I’m glad that I got a glimpse of how all my characters are doing, even though there was no sign of Sansa. A part of me is still hoping that she’ll find Lady again, even though I know that’s impossible.

I have a lot of fear for Jon, because with Martin I do really feel like no one is safe. I don’t think he’s dead and I can’t believe that his men betrayed him! Considering the threat that they face did he do anything that wasn’t absolutely necessary? Idiots.

Gods, it was lovely to see Cersei get some payback! I almost felt sorry for her. The High Septon and his septas were rough. Talk about interregation techniques!
Apollymy

I felt that way about Theon, too. It’s amazing that I can almost feel sorry for these characters, considering what they’ve done. I think I can because Martin is so skilled at making them all people with heroic and villanous tendencies, and I can’t really slap “good guy” or “bad guy” labels on any of them. The other thing he does really well is showing how Cersei (and everyone in the book, really) is a product of her environment and her place in history. She may be a poisonous bitch, and she made her choices, but she didn’t get there on her own.

I wanted to see more of Jamie and Brienne and I’m curious about how their relationship will develop. I’ve always found those two puzzling, because it’s not romantic and it’s not a friendship . . . exactly. But I do enjoy seeing them interact.

I just finished book 5. Here’s spoilery speculation:

If Jon is half Targaryen, you know what would make an awesome reveal? If his prick Black Brothers tossed him in one of Lady M’s fires, and he walked out relatively unscathed. Well, except for the some burnt hair and a buncha stab wounds.

Yes, he’s clearly more Stark than Targaryen*, but Viserys was full-on Targaryen, and the burning gold killed him (granted: it wasn’t fire as such). So who apparently the fireproof gene shuffles around here & there.

• As Ed said, “You are a Stark.”

I can’t assemble a compelling case, but here’s my feeble argument:

1. Remember the scene where Joffrey’s being a d*ck (go figure!) around Tyrion and Tywin, and Tywin gives Joffrey a look like he “needs to be taught a sharp lesson,” or some such? Tywin could hardly stomach Jamie in his prime – as evidenced in their talk midway through season 1; I forget when it happened in the books – so I think he’d be loath to let monstrous, foolish little Joffrey take the keys to the kingdom at this critical juncture when the Lannisters might stake a claim to the kingdom that would last 1,000 years.

2. All evidence may point at the Tyrells, BUT if I remember correctly, no evidence really pointed at Joffrey in the assassination attempt on Bran.

I could totally be wrong, and my evidence is lacking, but…

My mind is blown. I gave no consideration to the 3 eyed crow being Brynden Rivers and now I have to go and read it all again to see how it makes sense. Holy crap. :eek:

Oh man, the Meereen stuff was so boring until Dany escaped with the Dragons!!!
Even tough Tyrion’s storyline didn’t progress him very far, his thots and quips are still highlights in the book.
Cersei’s walk of shame…I was grinning the hole time. I wonder how she will recuperate in the next book.
Theon’s/Reek’s chapters were for me the most riveting. And yeah…Ramsay and Roose should get tortured beyond end!!!

Couldn’t have formulated that better! Every Frey and Bolton needs to die!

Regarding Dany`s story, he said it the best: http://www.vulture.com/2011/08/the_vulture_book_recap_reading_2.html

[LEFT][FONT=Georgia]DAENERYS[/LEFT][/FONT]
[LEFT][FONT=Georgia]I think it’s safe to say this is the Daenarys post that every single person reading these books has been waiting for. SHE FINALLY RIDES THE DAMN DRAGON.[/LEFT][/FONT]
[LEFT][FONT=Georgia]It’s the grand reopening of the fighting pits, and Dany attends with her new husband. Strong Belwas eats some poisoned locusts (perhaps meant for Daenerys, courtesy of Hizdahr?). Some dwarfs — it’s Tyrion and Penny! — are spared by the merciful queen. Nauseated by the needless slaughter, she goes to leave, and then WHAM:[/LEFT][/FONT]

[LEFT][FONT=Georgia]Above them all the dragon turned, dark against the sun. His scales were black, his eyes and horns and spinal plates blood red. Ever the largest of her three, in the wild Drogon had grown larger still. His wings stretched twenty feet from tip to tip, black as jet. He flapped them once as he swept back above the sands, and the sound was like a clap of thunder. The boar raised his head, snorting … and flame engulfed him, black fire shot with red. Dany felt the wash of heat thirty feet away. The beast’s dying scream sounded almost human. Drogon landed on the carcass and sank his claws into the smoking flesh. As he began to feed, he made no distinction between Barsena and the boar.[/LEFT][/FONT]
[LEFT][FONT=Georgia](Some idiot with a spear tries to attack Drogon, and “Dany and Drogon screamed as one.” Dany the Warg?)[/LEFT][/FONT]
[LEFT][FONT=Georgia]As Selmy tries to be a hero ("Try me. Over here. Me!”), Dany brandishes a whip, Drogon submits, and she climbs aboard.[/LEFT][/FONT]
She could feel the heat of him between her thighs. Her heart felt as if it were about to burst. Yes, she thought, yes, now, now, do it, do it, take me, take me, FLY!
[LEFT][FONT=Georgia]That triumphant screaming noise you hear is ten thousand “ASOIAF” fans cheering in a giant nerdgasm, as Daenerys’s bullshit story line is forgotten and we finally get what we were promised. Dany + Drogon the Dragon = the Awesome.[/LEFT][/FONT]