7/2009 Winner: Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith, "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"

Ah! That’s my problem with it. It’s not Shawn of the Dead. It’s like Shawn had traveled to the orient and was able to walk on his finger tips and was deadly with a katana.

I’m ok with that. After all it seems their plague of unmentionables has been going on for many many years so it seems proper that one would grow up properly learning the deadly arts

Your undying gratitude? Wow, thanks. I figured I should vote for the book I brought up. :smiley:

Anyway, I will be getting this book in 2 days, so I look forward to sinking my teeth into it. I can’t wait to see what they did with Mrs. Bennet.

Did you not mean…Your un-dead gratitude… (ok they can’t all be jems)

truly an awesome read - ya can’t beat “It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possesion of brains must be in want of more brains…”

now I understand why there were British soldiers outside of the town in the orignal…freakin zombies!

As this is the July/August Book Club selection, discussion will continue in this thread.

I’m on Chapter 3 and this reads like the original Klingon version.

Ah, that explains the British spelling. The publisher used the same distinguished translation company that was used to translate Shakespeare’s plays from Klingon.

I’m very happy, I just picked up a copy at the library :slight_smile: Now, as soon as I’ve finished re-reading Deathly Hallows, I’ll dive in and give my opinions hehe

I’m around Chapter 19…thinking of watching The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

memories of Saturday afternoon Kung Fu

I just started the book last night, but I found this via Twitter and Publisher’s Weekly. Must say it’s a dream come true to be discussing my favorite author here on the forum!

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6668913.html

Lizzie kicking ninja butt, FTW!!

I would love if they made this film just for that scene. As it is, I’ve been picturing Lizzie as The Bride from ‘Kill Bill’.

that works for me…

I thought listening to the audio book would keep me on a better pace… it has not. I am really happy we are not starting a new book in aug.

Having finished the book, I will say that it has won me over. As twitterites may already know, I love Jane Austen’s novels but Pride and Prejudice is my least favorite of the six. However, I loved it with zombies - I think that it makes the humor (Austen’s AND Grahame-Smith’s) a lot more obvious to a modern reader. I don’t know if it’s because I haven’t reread P&P in ages (I usually reach for Persuasion first :p), but Mr. Darcy was a much more engaging character this time around. Maybe I just needed him and Lizzie to be killing the undead.

Definitely inserted, but still hilarious. (Mr. Darcy’s balls are hers! lol)

I’m generally not a fan of illustrations in books (that’s what my imagination’s for) - but after reading this comment I paid attention and I agree, the style is off.

For the most part I think that the integration of Austen’s work with Grahame-Smith’s additions are really well done. However, there were a lot of typos in the book that bothered me - could they not have a copy editor catch them?

I know the “next” one of these is Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters - but really, Northanger Abbey is ripe for some kind of supernatural beings… let’s recall what the gothic novel was all about, and that NA was a spoof on them! Ah, that would be lovely to read.

Two words: “Coy pond.”

gnashes teeth

Still reading, so I haven’t looked at comments but had to chime in.

I’ve read P&P at least half a dozen times, it’s my favorite of her work. What’s amazing to me is how he’s managed to further layer these great characters by adding a stupid (really when you think about it) zombie plot line. Lizzy stands out even more with her Ninja skills. Caroline Bingley is more vunerable without hers. As much as I hate Caroline, it’s makes her more interesting in way. She’s not merely a bitch, she’s very threatened.

Enjoying the book very much, but zombies are dumb. I would have preferred vampires, whose wit and strength would match and challenge the Bennet sisters.

I’m not so sure how I feel about this - via io9, PPZ’s getting the graphic novel treatment.

maybe it’s just shy :rolleyes:

I just finished the Audible version tonight. I must say I enjoyed the heck out of the narrator, her British accent and excellent vocal characterizations made me laugh all the more. An absolute perfect fit. (and when I get a chance I’ll edit in all her info here)

The Audible experience is still new to me and does take some getting used to, as far as picking good times to listen and to not be distracted, but I’m getting better at concentrating on listening rather than reading.

I’m actually surprised this wasn’t it’s first medium.