7/2009 Winner: Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith, "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"

I’m seriously behind on the forums and the podcasts, so I hope I’m not repeating what someone else had already said, but after listening to one of the terminator casts, may I recommend this?

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347

It’s on my list of summer reads, so I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but it was highly recommended to me. Who wouldn’t love Mark Darcy and zombies?

It’s certainly been mentioned, but as far as I can tell it hasn’t been nominated.

I’ll second. I love the original, and I’m curious to see how well this one works.

I just read this book last week and I have to say that I loved it. The original Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite novels of all time, I’ve read it 5 or 6 times so when I found out that someone had the brilliant idea of adding zombies I had to read it.

It follows the story of the original better than some of the movies and the way the zombies change the characters is great. It was interesting to see zombies tackled in something other than a modern setting and it worked. The book was funny as hell and there are some blatantly obvious innuendos that despite being something Jane Austen never would have done but they worked.

I read the book wishing I had come up with the idea. I highly recommend the book.

Glad to know, as a fan of the original, you liked the book. I am about to start it for my book club. I’ll report back.

I was hooked from the first line, especially since it had me rolling. The fun thing is there are some hilarious book club questions in the back of the book that will surely get a book club laughing and talking about the book.

a damn fine read I must say!

“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”

And there you have it! After a close race, the Austen re-write wins by one vote. I will be posting a poll shortly to gauge interest in a separate August book club, or to wait until September. [and here is the poll.] Until then…

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies features the original text of Jane Austen’s beloved novel with all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie action. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton-and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she’s soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers-and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Complete with 20 illustrations in the style of C. E. Brock (the original illustrator of Pride and Prejudice), this insanely funny expanded edition will introduce Jane Austen’s classic novel to new legions of fans.(summary shamefully borrowed from here)

SPOILERS AHEAD

Me Need Brains Now…and victorian literature…

So how does this work…do we discuss as go along, or is there a time frame for reading the book and then we just post away… I need guideance…in so many ways, I’m afraid :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a place to discuss the book once you’ve finished it - or while you read it, if you don’t mind spoilers. It’s really up to what you prefer.

I personally usually avoid spoilers of books I’d like to read, but everyone is different, so do what you prefer most.

YESSSS!

My undying gratitude to that last voter.

Er, as it were.

I just placed a hold (well, actually, recalled) on this at my library. I have to admit, I’m not a huge fan of zombies, but I’ll trust the hive-mind. I’m looking forward to reading it once I get the copy :slight_smile:

Read the first three chapters or listen to the first chapter (registration required on that one.)

Just finished. Such a fun book - I did not want to put it down. The book club questions are hilarious. Our book club discussion is next week; it should be a great one.

I have next pick, and it will be tough to top this one.

I’m so excited!!! P&P is a favorite and I’m dying (no pun intended) to see which of Austen’s original prose makes it into this book. Austen is VERY funny for those who haven’t read her. Just bought my PB copy of the book.

I’m looking forward to this one as well! I’ve just used my very first credit from Audible.com and the book’s downloading now. Can’t wait for some zombie goodness!

I’m about 15 chapters in. I’d guess more than half the book is pure Austen (she’s even listed as a co-author.) He does a fair job of matching the style, referencing the “unmentionable plague” and such.

There are a couple other things I’m pretty certain that were inserted (I do not remember Austen making bawdy puns on “balls” for example.)

About halfway through now.

I don’t know if the Oriental thing needed to be there. There were Occidental martial arts as well, and the timeline is a serious stretch if “two trips to the orient” are to be believed for a twenty year old. The whole ‘kung-fu movie’ bits are, doubtless, intended to be over the top, but I don’t think that was the best approach. Also, the authors are ignorant (or willfully obtuse) about the differences between various martial arts (and western weapons.) A Shaolin student is not likely to carry a katana, and even Japanese-trained warriors are not likely to carry throwing stars (which would be of dubious use against the sorry stricken anyway.)

I’m wondering, too, if “Zombie” was in English use at that point (we’re talking early nineteenth century here.)

Also, they really needed to get someone more competent to do the illustrations. They ought to look like engravings, not fan art.

OK, on to the second half of the book…

Since I like words and all, I checked in the OED - it’s close, but not quite. PP was originally published 1813, earliest usage is 1819

1. In the West Indies and southern states of America, a soulless corpse said to have been revived by witchcraft; formerly, the name of a snake-deity in voodoo cults of or deriving from West Africa and Haiti.

1819 R. SOUTHEY Hist. Brazil III. xxxi. 24 Zombi, the title whereby he [chief of Brazilian natives] was called, is the name for the Deity, in the Angolan tongue… NZambi is the word for Deity. 1872 SCHELE DE VERE Americanisms 138 Zombi, a phantom or a ghost, not unfrequently heard in the Southern States in nurseries and among the servants. 1886 Century Mag. Apr. 815/2 This spiritual influence or potentate is the recognized antagonist and opposite of Obi, the great African manitou or deity, or him whom the Congoes vaguely generalize as Zombi. 1929 W. B. SEABROOK Magic Island II. ii. 94 At this very moment, in the moonlight, there are zombies working on this island. 1943 R. OTTLEY New World 46 Adding the zombies, jumbies, and obeah men to the gallery of voodoo characters. 1966 G. GREENE Comedians iv. 104 Luckily no one dared move on the roads at night; it was the hour when only zombies worked or else the Tontons Macoute. 1979 J. RHYS Smile Please 30 Zombies were black shapeless things. They could get through a locked door and you heard them walking up to your bed. You didn’t see them, you felt their hairy hands round your throat. 1984 Times 26 Jan. 12/6 A zombie, as every schoolboy knows, is a person who has been killed and raised from the dead by sinister voodoo priests called bocors.

I am so happy that P&P&Z is our book club book. I was just happening to read it on my own and was gonna start a thread anyway. I am about 1/3 of the way thru the book and i truly love it thus far. Its insanely funny. It makes me want to actually read Jane Austen. I have never read nor have i seen any of her movies but i am having a blast trying to imagine what would be happening in the real book at the same time as the zombie book is going on.

So far my favorite line from the book is Elizabeth to Jane, “…Dearest Sister, I implore you-this unhappiness is best remedied by the hasty application of a cutlass to her throat” regarding Miss Bingley and her attempts to sway her brother away from Jane.

I am thinking they are much more willingly obtuse. I did purchase the book from the comedy section of Borders after all. I never thought of this as a serious attempt at a zombie story. I think this is much more of a Shawn of the Dead style Zombie story. I keep trying to picture this as a movie in my head and it would be such a horrible movie but as a book it works great. It might work as a movie if it were produced by the British and had a Brit Com feel to it. Also i would want an omniscient narrator doing a VO during the flick maybe Jim Dale, who did the narration for Pushing Daisies and the Harry Potter audio books