6.06 "Sundown"

Alrighty. I’ve got a question. At the end, when all of Smokey’s friends were standing around. Where did they come from? Who are they? Were they converts from the Temple?

Good question. I think they were Templars who are now on Team Esau. Didn’t Sayid say they had the option of leaving the Island with him or staying at the temple to die? Pretty sure Kate doesn’t know what she’s in for, signing her own death warrant with Claire. Still haven’t quite figured out Esau’s plan to get off the Island. And where are Jin and Sawyer?

Team Jacob: Ilana, Richard, Lapidus, Sun, Ben, Miles, and we assume Jack and Hurley
Team Esau: Locke, Claire, Sawyer, Sayid, CluelessKate, and some nameless extras

Yay for a Sayid-centric episode! Especially one that’s such a game-changer. Poor Nadia, marrying the wrong Jarrah, but her kids were so cute. Loved the epic fight scene between Sayid and Dogen. Plus we got an explanation for the baseball.

More dialogue for Miles! Keamy making eggs and being an a-hole in any reality! Jin locked in a freezer!

Can’t wait till next week.

Loved the end of the episode. The sudden appearance of Team Jacob was pretty fantastic, as were all the scenes of Smokey blasting through the temple like a bandit.

Smoke monster train coming through, choo-choooooo!

[i]West bound and down, eighteen converts rolling,
we’re gonna do what they can’t be done.
We’ve got a big ocean to cross and a short time to get off
I’m westbound just watch ol’ Smokey run!

Keep your hand near the button, Desmond don’t you fail
you’d better put those numbers in on time.
Smokey’s hungry for some freedom, and Jacob can’t just feed 'im,
and if he gets lose, we’re gonna diiiiiiieeee

West bound and down, eighteen converts rollin’
w’re gonna do what they say can’t be done.
We’ve got a big ocean to cross, and a short time to get off,
I’m westbound, just watch ol’ Smokey run!

Dead Jacob’s got his friends here, they’re hot on your trail,
he ain’t gonna rest till you’re back in jail.
So you gotta lie and you gotta trick ‘em,
you gotta keep that smoke train smashin’
just get off the damn island and outta hell!

West bound and down, eighteen converts rollin’
w’re gonna do what they say can’t be done.
We’ve got a big ocean to cross, and a short time to get off,
I’m westbound, just watch ol’ Smokey run![/i]

^ Haha! Brilliant, dude. And now that song will be stuck in my head all day.

^Breaker, Breaker

I’m pissed that Sayid went darkside and I’m really pissed that he killed Dogen, though being drowned in the dirty pool will result in??? Will they come back as “infected” or are they going to resurrect nicely? Poor Kate being saddled with cuckoobananas Claire, but the good news is that Kate is really excellent at recognizing a problem and RUNNING LIKE HELL so I’m hoping she hooks back up with Dr. McDreamyCrysalot.

Thunderscreech: awesome, especially the drawled out “die”.

I completely agree. Loved seeing Keamy again and talk about a surprise with Jin in the freezer.

I echo the sentiment of where are Sawyer and Jin? I don’t think either are dead b/c fLocke can’t kill them (rules, baby) and ClaiRousseau didn’t harm Jin. But what happened to them? And why hasn’t Richard made it back to the Temple by now?

I loved how Ben took one look at crazy Sayid and turned and ran.

I’m still processing whether we’ve lost Dogen, might he be claimed in the dirty water, etc. I dig Dogen, don’t like that they’ve messed with the Dogen. That said, the Dogen/Sayid fight scene was action-packed, fierce and much needed. Then, you get crazy terror/destruction at the end of the episode with a vengeful Smokey clearing out the Temple peeps.

Of course, I’m along for the ride, love this show and am really enjoying its final season. But some nitpicks:

Jack: you let Kate go after your sister? do you not care about Claire since you are wallowing in your brokenness?

Kate: when has being a member of a team that Locke/fLocke is in charge of been a good idea?

Miles: why haven’t we heard his impressions of these claimed people? He seemed to sense fLocke before he arrived, seemed to look at Sayid odd earlier this season in the Temple strangely, but then had a normal conversation with him this episode…

Hurley: after all the problems the numbers caused him, he doesn’t have anything to say about (1) seeing the numbers and (2) that their names are associated with the numbers?

Finally, I need my crazy Scot Desmond back! Pronto!

Would also have liked to see them, but…no idea where they are. Sawyer maybe still stuck in teh cave cause only Smokey could get out. And Jin…:confused:

Jack’s looking for himself right now.

she was never the bright one

Yeah…now that you say it!

ME TOO!!!

EDIT: That LOST party is OSSIM!!!

do you recognize them? in the left corner (form their perspective) of the couch.

and

Well here’s my full recap/analysis but a few points here.

“Locke” says he wants to leave the Island. Jacob says he wants to protect the Island. Why are these two things mutually exclusive?

Dogen told Sayid to kill “Locke” before he could speak to him but “Locke” said “Hello, Sayid” first. Plan disrupted.

Do baseballs float? I really don’t know.

How did Ilana and the rest of Team Jacob get into the Temple? The main entrance was blocked by guards or Smokey the Monster so they couldn’t have gotten in that way. She had to look for the secret passage (with the symbol that looked suspiciously like the Stargate on it) so they must not have come in that way. Did they use the tunnel Jack and company tried to use earlier? Why didn’t they leave the way they came in?

Where is Richard anyway?

Claire asks “Locke” why he didn’t send Sawyer or Jin in instead of her. Good question, Claire.

Claire must realize that her BAY-BE! isn’t in the Temple after all since she didn’t tear the place apart looking for him after Smokey the Monster tore the place apart. So now she knows that “her friend” lied when he said Aaron was there. And that Jin told the truth then lied. And that she’s going to kill Kate. Yeah, Kate isn’t going to like this team.

Anyone else see Jack when Sayid and Nadia entered the hospital?

Wouldn’t it be funny if Keamy was telling the truth and he really didn’t have anything to do with Omer’s mugging? (And would it be even funnier if Jin was the one who did it?)

io9 had an actual interesting theory; that the LA 'verse is now the “real” universe that exists everywhere but the Island. So when Jacob told Dogen that his son would live but that he would never see him again, he was telling the truth; his son is alive in the other timeline (though of course this Dogen would never see him again). Nadia is alive in the other timeline and the other Sayid did see her; of course she is married to someone else and that’s in the other timeline too, but still. It does explain the timeline thing…

Wow. Have some action. Go Smokey! Things really seem to be snowballing. Really liking this season.

Am I mistaken, or is Kate finally, finally in a position to possibly do something that matters? She’s got decisions to make, fights to fight…

Did Keamy remind anyone else of Mr. Blond? He must have really enjoyed that role. I thought it was a real stand-out bit. Kinda sad he can’t show up again.

Can’t wait for next week.

Wow, awesome, awesome lost party there. WOW!

I see Kate as more of a tag along in Team Smockey. But at least she wasn’t annoying. I was cracking up when she was all like 'yeah, I took Aaron! I raised him for you!" and seeing Claire’s reaction to it. I wonder why Claire didn’t just let Smockey take care of her instead of saving her.

I love all the creepy smiles in this episode. LOVE. And how awesome is that Sayid scared Ben? :smiley: But anyway, it was really great to see the O’Quinn, Andrews, and Emerson in scenes together. So gorram great! I’m actually a little disappointed Ben isn’t on Team Smockey because I want to see the three of them in scenes together more often. And I’m not really quite sure why Ben is following Ilana around.

Poor Sayid. Whatever happens, whenever in his life, where he is, in whichever reality, he just can’t escape killing or other people asking him to kill. Such resignation at the end to finally embrace the killer in himself.

I hope we’d get a Miles episode soon, because poor guy! He’s basically acting as the island’s message board for now, and I would love to see more of his backstory (since all we’ve really established is that he can talk to the dead and who his father is. I would like him to matter more than just that).

I’m happy we’re done with the temple, since it’ll be more interesting to see what’s going to happen now that they’re not just all sitting around playing cards or whatever, but I can’t help but feel like the temple was a stalling device for the season. Ugh. Unless we actulaly will see more of Dogen and co, which, double Ugh, if only because there’s only 2/3 of the season left to deal with still so many characters that we haven’t dealt with at all, not to mention the story that have to be dealt with too.

I’m starting to get just a little annoyed at how they’re keeping Sun/Jin apart, which given their respective teams, is probably going to last longer.

Isn’t the whole Smockey is devil/Jacob is good/god thing much too obvious for it to be the actual story? I sure hope that isn’t the real setup for the answer - it’s just a tad lame.

Yeah, where is Richard? Or Sawyer? Is he just chilling in the cave? How come he wans’t hanging with Smockey? I’m glad there’s barely any Jack this ep, but poor Hurley, having no one but Jack as his sullen companion somewhere out in the jungle (or are they still at the lighthouse?).

So anyway…so far…
Team Smockey : Sawyer, Sayid, Claire, Kate (ish), Jin (ish), Cindy and temple gang.
Team Jacob: Ilana, Ben, Sun, Miles, Lapidus, Richard(?), Jack(?), Hurley(?), though I’m not even sure if Sun, Miles and Lapidus even knows what’s going on.

Ben on Team Jacob really?!! I wonder what happens to him now after he got left behind alone.

We definitely need a Miles-centric episode, but I fear we’re running out of time for it. Guess I’ll have to settle for a Richard-centric one on the 23rd.

And I’m not really quite sure why Ben is following Ilana around.

I suppose once a follower of Jacob, always a follower of Jacob. Even though he did, y’know, stab the guy in the heart when he told Ben that he didn’t matter. But then he learned that Esau used him and that he killed a truly good man (Locke). So maybe he’s angling for some kind of redemption.

I suspect we’ll find out very soon. Next week’s episode is apparently Ben-centric

Where he will “meet his demise”? Oh, shut your piehole, ABC promo monkeys. I don’t believe they’ll kill Ben off. At least I hope not.

I wonder if/when we’ll ever get back to the Ben vs. Widmore power struggle. It seems sort of secondary now, but it does involve Desmond and Penny and Eloise Hawking and Daniel Faraday. I’m getting tired of seeing Henry Ian Cusick’s name in the credits but not seeing him, gorrammit.

Feel the same. I wanna see my Brotha again. Eloise Hawking, I could live without though.

Was just listening to the Podcast with DarkUFO (Andy) who has a information of one of his informants, who works for the show. It is about Kate’s name in the cave in The Substitute and apparently was confirmed by Carlton Cuse. (see Candidate 51)

So on the Lighthouse Wheel we’ve spotted Kate’s crossed out name with the number 51 and we asked ourselves why we didn’t saw her name in the cave.
[spoiler]Allegedly her crossed out name with the #51 in the cave was filmed, but ended up on the cutting floor.[/spoiler]

Take it as you like. For me I can go with that her name being there, but we couldn’t see it.

Kate’s name isn’t crossed out on the wheel…

Plus, if Smokey is trying to manipulate Sawyer it makes sense that it wouldn’t show him Kate’s name.

Right, I remember it now. So somebody in the prop department must have screwed up in one of those two instances OR there is a different meaning of the Cave and the Lighthouse.

OR Jacob/MIB simply forgot to cross one of the names out.:smiley:

I agree about the Scotsman, but do want to see Eloise again…

re: Widmore/Ben conflict

I now think it is extremely relevant and more important than I first thought. Both also follow Teh Rule about not being able to kill each other. Plus, both have been banished from (Widmore) or exiled (okay, a time out - Ben) from the Island. Widmore has done a lot to keep the Island hidden from the outside world (gathering up Black Rock artifacts, faking the crash of 815)

Remember in Season 4, Widmore told Ben the Island was his? Why has he yet to return to it? He can find it, since his people got there (Keamy), but why wasn’t he with them? Could Jacob’s death mean Widmore can now return?

I don’t know about you, but I have this song stuck in my head:

[creepy singing]
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away

Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day
[/singing]

I have a feeling (albeit an unsubstantiated one) that somehow Ben and Widmore’s old rivalry is going to wind up being a manifestation of Jacob and MIB’s rivalry in some way.

Jack and Hurley are ‘candidates’, right? I’m assuming the list is of people who could replace Jacob. What if Sayid wasn’t on Hurley’s ankh list and his survival of the ‘torture’ (which as perhaps intended to be fatal) means that he’s a candidate as well, but to be a Smokey replacement?

A podcast I listen to speculated that candidates can only be killed by other candidates, which would be why Goden (sp?) needed Jack to give it to him. Him being a Smokey candidate could explain why the dude thought he should die.