5 Reasons it Sucks Being a Joss Whedon fan

Joss Wedon seems to be straying into J. Michael Straczynski territory. JMS made Babylon 5 which was awesome. He got serious geek cred for it, and rightfully so.

…then he did everything else that came afterwards.

Seriously uneven on execution, though undeniably talented. Mr. Wedon has a lot of win to his credit, but as fans we should be ready to say something when those we admire stray or start ‘phoning it in’. Maybe I’m being unfair with Dollhouse, but I watched as much of it as I could before dropping it. It just… doesn’t deliver the way his earlier stuff did, at least not for me.

Just because something isn’t POPULAR doesn’t mean it’s not GREAT. Buffy wasn’t popular when it was on…it never had great ratings. It just happened to be on the WB when it was just starting and as a network it didn’t have a very high ratings standard. There are a lot of really successful reality show creators - are they to be considered GREAT?

I think not - but that’s just my opinion.

The article was a bit mean for my taste though I think everyone has a right to their own opinion. The writer made a few fair points - Joss does tend to kill beloved characters. The point has been made that Joss is a staunch feminist but that he still only uses really hot women in his shows. I will say that it’s unfair to say that because Joss considers himself a feminist that EVERYTHING he does FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE must be about that.

You folks are aware cracked.com is a comedy website right? Everything they post is ridiculous, it’s supposed to be.

Cracked uses humor, but they have incisive and insightful commentary. Dismissing everything they say because “they’re a humor website” is like disgarding everything the Daily Show says as if it was ficton.

It’s not?

whoosh

Discussing the merits of Whedon’s work is a separate topic, and people are free to discuss it ad nauseum if they so choose. My point was that the article on cracked is meant to be funny, and not an objective critique. Which is the way some people seem to be taking it.

Its all in fun, and I think people should take it in stride.

Agreed absolutely.

will say you have a point there, maybe his track record points to lacking some key skills in the financial side show running; but i will add that there have been many long running highly profitable shows, that are artistically lacking… I’m looking to you bay watch!!! oh bouncy… sorry got distracted, back to my point… That there seems to a balance in modern TV for the most part where you need walk tight rope of art vs. dumbing down the show and making it easily accessible to as many people as possible. Joss has usually sided with Art at the expense of the other… for right or for wrong…

will add to thinking about the article again if your swearing while trying to write and argument that doesn’t involve you personally, You probably don’t have the best argument… that or your 15.

what i’m supposed to a have sense of humor about them making fun of my Cult leader… but… but… he gave me Kool Aid :wink:

no, but all great writers and tv producers and directors are.

that is the measure of greatenss… if nobody likes what the produce, or they aren’t politicaly savy enough to make sure that it get’s marketed…and viewed, then they truely aren’t great.

And if you believe that, I’ve got a bridge to sell you…

TV and movies are very expensive, COMMERCIAL media with a lot of people involved in the creative process and a lot more people involved in the financial process. TV networks, particularly these days of increased competition and diminished revenues, are reluctant to pick innovation over familiar, previously succesful formulas (witness, for instance, the success of Two and a Half Men). Success in the field does not preclude lack of talent or vice versa. (Even the most talented artist–in whatever medium–in the world will only get so far without connections, savvy and just a little luck.) Otherwise it would be safe to assume that McDonald’s are the finest gourmet restaurants in the world.

That said, Joss Whedon is actually a fine writer and director solely, in my view, based on Firefly. That show (and its accompanying film) is sheer poetry. Dollhouse is fun, but its concept seems better suited for a movie rather than a long running, open-ended TV show. But that’s just my two cents. One thing great artists have in common is that not everything they do is artistically successful. The good ones know when to accept the duds and move on. (Which was part of Cracked’s criticism of Whedon, though I don’t know enough about him to have an opinion either way.)