#307: Fairy Tales 1, The Brothers Grimm

We kick off our fairy tales arc with a watch and discussion of The Brothers Grimm. And we run down the week in geek including some spoiler-free BBC Sherlock season-finale discussion, a bit on Jonathan Coulton as an “old man who knows how to use the internet,” and some thoughts on what makes a fairy tale a fairy tale. Also: lots of classic, fun GWC off-topic chat, like a serious discussion on what constitutes the best cheap-ass beer, some frank talk about Peter Berg, and Chuck’s scary gym LOL moment.

Direct Download
Blog Post

For anyone who wanted to know, here’s the quote that Sean brought up from Other People’s Money

You know, at one time there must’ve been dozens of companies making buggy whips. And I’ll bet the last company around was the one that made the best goddamn buggy whip you ever saw.

I was sooooooo excited to listen to the cast because I am a big fan of retold fairy tales. Happily, both Brothers Grimm and Ever After are on Amazon Instant! I haven’t seen Brothers and haven’t seen Ever After since college.

I will be calling in with more, but wanted to let you guys know that the conversation was high-level. Intellectually stimulating (especially you, Sean!) and amusing (per usual). I can’t wait for the rest of the arc.

This new podcast that was mentioned… Oddly enough I can find a link to it on the main GWC podcast list ^^ Can someone PM how to find it? Thx.

Lol, that’s cuz it’s not in the GWC stable. A little more in the NSFW category than standard GWC. But if you’d like to check it out. wholseomeaddiction.com or if you’d like to hit it on iTunes just click the iTunes link in the upper right corner of the Wholseome Addiction site. :slight_smile:

Um Sean…mtg101 might have been talking about Chuck’s new “Reading Wikipedia” podcast instead. I’m especially interested to hear if Chuck will be reading the html code version or the published version of each page.

~Shooter Out

Sean knew what I wanted… :wink:

Anyway… podcast added (via RSS to iTunes, just in case Apple censors it…)

Y’know, Reading Wikipedia might not be too bad. I got a huge kick out of the Audrapedia bits that we’ve heard on the cast before. I was going to say that a podcast about Wikipedia would be kind of cool, but then I thought that it’d probably be more about the policy and technology behind wikipedia, and it would probably branch out… at that point it would really just be Modern Geek :smiley:

great cast , fun stuff, looking forward to more “Fairy Tale Arc”-age.

put me down as very interested in:

GWC BEERCAST 2012:Suds of Destiny

//youtu.be/_zIFG2wxp9I

OB :slight_smile:

Thanks, man. I don’t know why, but I was searching for it this morning, and saying to myself, Why can’t I find that Healthy Obsession podcast Sean talked about?:smiley:

Ever After! This was the movie when I was in high school. It may have been the first movie I went to see with just my friends. And in art class, we had a project to adapt a shoe or something and everyone wanted to make Drew Barrymore’s glass slipper. Good times.

Also, I’m interested to hear where this fairy tale discussion goes. One of my bffs works on them professionally so yeah, cool stuff!

I’m finally listening to this week’s podcast, only 1/2 way through but indulge me a second to state the obvious.
Three things that I continue to love about the GWC podcast and keeps me coming back for more (even when you talk about Mass Effect).

1. Chuck, Sean and Audra you are all wicked smart.
  2. The three of you are different enough that you all bring really really interesting perspectives and knowledge to any topic–while still having so much in common to engage about.
  3. You bounce my head around from making me laugh, making me think and making me fascinated.

Anyway, blah blah blah. This is all obvious, but needs to be said once in a while.

Keep up the great work Crue. :smiley: And thanks!!

EDIT: Also I love Audra’s singin’ voice

Ahh … Ski Movies … now that’s entertainment!

//youtu.be/Xn5Q_fjvKVQ

cue 80’s , 90’s montage music!

//youtu.be/j1oaKKLyC80

1. HotDog
  2. Aspen Extreme
  3. Ski School
  4. Better Off Dead
  5. Hot Tub Time Machine (oh yes, it is)
  6. South Park Parody S6E3
    etc. etc. etc.

OB :slight_smile:

Listening to the cast now and talk about LOL moments! I’m sitting here at work and cracked up over needing the 3rd Dumbbell ha!

The way Sherlock S2E3 concludes is followed Doyle’s Holmes book with the same title with the final, final (last before credits) scene matches almost exactly what happened in the book.

Additionally, SPOILER-ish BBC ordered seasons 2 and 3 at the same time so season 3 is coming. SPOILER

Anyone who hasn’t seen or considered BBC’s Sherlock should know that it’s a Moffet Project. His twitter avatar is him standing with Doctor 11 and Sherlock.

I had a similar response to Sherlock S2E3 as you guys did. Just mind-blown, “HOLY CRAP! That was awesome!!”-if-I-had-the-ability-to-speak-after great. Like when Moffet write’s a Doctor Who episode only more so. When I see Moffet’s name at the start of a Who episode, I know ahead of time I won’t be able to focus on anything else for a bit because I won’t be able to stop thinking about it.

Here’s that broken up, French occupied “Germany” that Audra was talking about in the cast (and it’s one of my fav boardgames :wink:

board game senses tingling

Hmmm … between War and Peace … I’ll take War.

//youtu.be/KZlFTJ9MVj4

Always bet on the bunny :slight_smile:

One my big “I fell in love with GWC when…” moments was when Chuck quoted Hot Dog: “Not on zis side, not on zis side, but right in ze middle!”

Nice. Part of my cable-watchin’-hopin’-to-see-some-T-n-A career. At least Hot Dog delivered.

Still, Aspen Extreme was fun. Gonna try and find it to re-watch. K2 was good, but it’s better as a play. And I’m a total sucker for the pre-sell-out Warren Miller flicks. In fact, I’ve always fantasized about traveling around the world to put together a film about nerds the way Miller documents skiers.

The irony, of course, is that I don’t know how to ski.

If Hot Dog is to be believed, all the action is in the sauna and the ski lifts.