#307: Fairy Tales 1, The Brothers Grimm

Ah, yes, same here!

Okay Sean. If you are going to eat to be full. If you want to put yourself into a meat coma. Try a Brazilian Steak house. For example:

http://www.fogodechao.com/

I don’t know if you guys are watching the new TV series “Grimm,” but I am enjoying it so much. I love the low-key lead, Nick, and wolfman Monroe is my new favorite character on TV. (Really awesome relationship between those two.) I find myself looking forward to this show every week and thinking about it and randomly grinning during boring stretches during the day. :slight_smile: Clearly a new obsession in the making. Also, the Portland, OR location is so atmospheric and perfect. Very “take you deep into the woods and LEAVE you there.”

Nahh, more like

I’ve been meaning to watch Grimm but after I missed the first month or so I didn’t get around to catching up. I had the same problem with Once Upon a Time, but then they had the New Years marathon and now I keep up with it, and love it, too!

I guess I’ve been thinking about (and this goes too with some conversations with my friend who’s an expert) what it is we mean with fairy tales. They’re really culturally encoded, right? I mean, the fairy tales that my partner grew up with are in some ways the same as the ones I did (thanks, Disney) but there are other ones that I never heard of and on further inspection seem to be much more common in the Hispanic world than in anglo parts of the US. And where do we draw the line between a fairy tale and a folk tale?

Anyways for people interested in this stuff you might want to check out the Norton critical edition of the Classic Fairy Tales (edited by Maria Tatar), that collects multiple versions of certain stories (Red Riding Hood, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Cinderella, Bluebeard, Hansel and Gretel, and then pieces by Hans Christian Andersen and Oscar Wilde), plus some criticism too. Really interesting stuff.

wow! That is beautiful! I love maps.

I’ll second that. My wife lived in Brazil for 18 months, and she introduced me to the Churrascaria. GREATEST. THING. EVAR.
Seriously. For those of you who have never heard of this, let me break it down for ya:

You sit at a table that has this little marker on it. On one end, the marker is red, on the other it is green. When it is turned so that the green side is up, people walk around with meat that’s been rotissarie cooked, slice off a bit for you, and then carry on. All kinds, Pork, sausage, steak, chicken. In our preferred restaurant when it’s in season, they have alligator, and boar.

Flip to red to stop the oncoming meat.

My favorite (though not within driving distance anymore, sadly): Rodizio Grill

A point with the cursed tracker woman and the wolf/huntsman bit did you realise that he was her father? I think seeing her fathers eyes in the wolf would be enough to cause most people to hesitate woman or no.

Of course being not a fan of anaronistic equality I’m not generally fan of much arse kicking woman in a period setting of course it works here being a bit of a comedy and her already being an outcast anyway so less need to follow gender roles. I also am not a fan of equality = same, why does seemingly every strong female character have to be a super hero warrior but I’ll leave that.

On the arrows thing I’m going to have to look back but if she really did take three arrows they missed an opertunity to avoid stupidity when she gets knocked off her horse since especialy in a forest she wouldn’t have had time to find and pick many back up.

OMG Fogo De Chao is fantastic! It’s a special occasion dinner type place for us. We took my parents, and I don’t think my Dad ever flipped his card over to Red.

I had posted a warning on the show thread well over a year ago about the dangers of listening to the podcast while working out. It can be hazardous to your health…

I got lucky, I was just doing a standard bench press. And A) It was not a lot of weight. B) I had the weight down low over my chest when the giggles hit. (I shudder to think what would have happened if my arms had been extended) When it came time latter on in the day for me to do Skullcrushers I switched over to music, I had learned my lesson. No way in Hell was I going to be holding a heavy dumbbell over my head while listening to the Crue, that is a recipe for disaster. Now on a machine it is not an issue, but with free weights… forget about it!

Consider this Public Service Announcement number 2.

And Johnny Depp was not in Titanic.

Loved the in depth background on the Grimm brothers and folklore. Look forward to further exploration on how folklore and mythology is woven into our culture and even used to educate and frighten children toward certain proper societal behavior or away from bad behaviors that may lead to compromised health, kidnapping, robbery or possible death.

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast 307 quote(s). This poll will close on February 16th, 2012 at 03:22 PM.

By the way, I did crack up several times at the gym tonight. This is one of those perfect blends of intelligent discussion, random tangents, and sack jokes, that is why I love this podcast.

And to continue Audra’s theme of Berg movies, Titanic.

As one non skier to another:
When people ask me if I can ski, I say I ski like James Bond. Which means, of course, that it will take at least 3 bad guys with sub-machine guns to get me to ski down a mountain.

I also had to “take a knee” while jogging and listening to the most recent Smodcast. It does have a scifi theme … sort of.

Smodcast 201 – Star Trek episode.

Silly stuff and funny as hell :smiley:

So I’m a little behind on the podcast. Just listened to this one on my way home from work. When Chuck was trying to remember Aspen Extreme, I started laughing so hard I had to pull off to the side of the road. Everything from “Screw that, I just tweeted it” to “declined dick-press” had me in tears. I cant remember the last time I laughed so hard. If this truly is the “love it or leave it” cast, Place me firmly in the “loved beyond healthy social norms” category.