#300: Live Callers, FSL Special, Dr. Wichelns

This week’s special 300th episode of Galactic Watercooler was recorded live in front of a (remote) studio audience. We take a number of live callers. We bring you a special version of Fantasy Sci-Fi League in which our audience-selected team of heroes saves the holiday. We bring back the Reverend Dr. Wichelns (one of GWC’s most popular interviewees who originally joined us back in episodes #22 and #23 to explain some of the religious history in Battlestar Galactica and the philosophical mind-knots in The Matrix) for a talk. And we run down the week in geek, of course. Thank you to everyone who’s contributed their love, resources, and spirit to GWC over the years. Here’s to hundreds more. Note: This is a FOUR HOUR+ episode of GWC. We don’t normally run that long!

Direct Download
Blog Post

What an amazingly great way to spend a Saturday morning! Work forced me to keep jumping in and out of the chat and the audio, so I’m super-stoked to listen again without interruption.

Thanks to the GWC Crue for 300 (!!!) podcasts and hundreds of hours of fun and intelligent (and sometimes just frakking crazy) conversation, storytelling, and shared experiences.

Three hundred podcasts! Three! Hundred! Three hundred!

I wasn’t able to participate in the live event because our Yoyo club had it’s second contest of the year, and I was judging for some strange reason. Anyways, another smashing show, it sounds like everyone involved had a blast.

Goddamn day out with family, wish I could have joined in ) : Ah well, guess theres always episode 400 xD

Hope everyone had a great time, cant wait to listen to this.

John Conner (working title) release date on IMDB is March 9th, 2012.

4 hours?

What a blast! Couldn’t have found a better thing to do with those four hours. (Well…) No, really. (Really?) Shut up. Really.

So excited to hear the first 4 hour podcast!!! Congrats on 300 GWC - you all are the best!

Congrats on #300 guys! Thanks for making a huge, positive impact on the lives of geeks everywhere :slight_smile:

Here are little, incomplete thumbnails of the posters they were talking about on the cast. Many Alpacas contributed time and money to make 'em happen.

The actual print versions are 18"x24"-ish, and hand-finished. There are a couple minor additions, and the 300s are colored in with red crayon.

Keir, do you have a pic of the banner?

Slightly larger version here.

Flippin’ sweet. The GWC 300 banner can also be seen here (1600x800, nicey-nice for desktops).

Overheard this morning on twitter in response to the latest FSL

AsetIsis on Twitter: You can always count on @GWCAudra to make a full-frontal assault, @RevGWCSean sneaks up from behind and ambushes

Awesome! Great work!

Congrats on getting to 300 podcasts, must say I am a little intimidated by the 4 hour length, though I am impressed. I think I will attempt it on some my bike rides (good weather permitting) this weekend.

Happy 300, keep on casting your helping to keep all these people sane!

Wow, that banner’s incredible. How big is each square? It’d be cool if they’re big enough for people to sign the square with their avatar at the meetup or something like that.

Also, since this was FSL 3.5 any updates on when and what 4.0 will be? I have a couple cool ideas I sent Sean.

The full size of this particular image is 46px X 46px per tile which makes this image 33.15cm X 40.83cm. The original tile sizes are 80px X 80px which should mean that if I used the original tile sizes you could get something 57.65cm X 71cm which means each tile will be about 2.22cm X 2.22cm. You can always blow that up of course but your going to start to loose resolution.

PM me if you want to discuss options

Oh, I thought that was one of the things the crew talked about during the podcast that we gave them. Never mind.

That is pretty frakkin amazing. Well done.

How’d you do that? One at a time? I had a vision of you reenacting that scene from The Social Network, where he talks through how he’s going to peel all the images out of a server/site.