#284: Pilot-able Giant Robots

We continue our discussion of sci-fi vehicles focusing on pilot-able giant robots. And we run down the week in geek, including Warehouse 13’s renewal, Eureka’s cancellation sega, Sean’s Cowboys and Aliens impressions, SyFy’s web series Mercury Men, the new season of The Guild, Fox’s upcoming show Terra Nova, and fan reactions to the new less-pleather-more-tactical Catwoman suit. We’re joined by our friend (and long-time GWCer) Shooter.

Direct Download
Blog Post

heh, the podcast area not being top threw me for quite a loop. lol, I just sat there staring at the top spot as if waiting for it to appear. Yes, I am that old.

Here are a couple of related Halloween costumes that I made:

Powerloader from Aliens (video)

Matrix APU

Mad Cat
(video)

@Thunderscreech Dude, that Madcat is crazy cool!! One of my favorite Mechwarriors

Not sure if it counts, but I always dug Appleseed and the battle suits from Bubble Gum Crisis.

for you listening pleasure …

//youtu.be/rWHniL8MyMM

@oddball, tks for the vid and badass quote g. Oddball quotes never go outta style

//youtu.be/IO3ZbQiGNkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO3ZbQiGNkk

oh yeah…I went there…snarf :smiley:

Almost done with the cast, a few things…

Already tweeted Audra about this but there is a Catman in DC comics. He started mega-lame but since a few years ago is actually kind of cool.

I think the Voltron game mentioned is this one that’s a shootoff of the company’s Monsterpocalypse game.

No mention of Warhammer 40K’s mechs on crack-the titan legions? But then there’s no show about them, but 2 books with them are Titanicus and Mechanicum.

I used to play Battletech a lot, but stopped after FASA folded. Never really got back into it when it went all collectible and clicky and when the novels lost their best writers to some other universe :slight_smile: (But I have to say, the new starter set for it looks really good)

I’m just a couple of minutes into the new Thundercats and I gotta say this is a FAR better overall production than Voltron Force! The Thundercats soundtrack alone is amazing and the dialogue is outstanding. VERY highly recommended folks!

I loved Snarf on the South Park Imaginationland Movie lol! I’m surprised with all this talk of Mecha there was nothing mentioned about Gunbuster! Damn that was a great Anime - very Forever War.

Also I was oddly expecting the Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes discussion. Hmmmm…

On Cowboys and Aliens. I found the humans far more intriguing than the aliens. The aliens to me were represented as they should be in this film, creatures far beyond the understanding of the characters that they can only manage to overcome if they wish to survive. I loved it.

Titans aren’t mechs

I’m still cracking up over re-doing the segment intro… :smiley:

OMG I loved that game back in the 80’s when I played it. The supplements were just amazing and the art for it was fantastic. I use to have a House Steiner patch on my old jacket, think I still have the patch!

I’d consider Dreadnaughts to be mechs however. The “human” pilot happens to be the dead body of a particularly heroic space marine, who’s soul is now locked inside the mechanical beast for as long as he can keep the thing functional through combat. The orc veriety are similar, though I think the pilots are somewhat attached to the mechanics much like the Iron Man suit.

We concur brother

What DQs them from being mechs? (alright then, the knight households…that we almost never see and have no stats for)

Well, not dead. Mostly dead. There have been a few stories where the pilot was removed to avoid capture/torture/worse and died a few minutes later.
I was thinking dreadnoughts are almost too small to counted as mechs/mecha. They’d get stepped on by most typical mechs.

Too many people operating it and it’s use of a mobile fortress.

If too many crew DQs it, then Voltron in lion form can’t be counted either. Then there’s Eldar titans with their crew of 1.

Let’s talk about TITAN MAXIMA! instead. Love that show.