#282: San Diego Comic Con

We’re just back from San Diego Comic Con and we talk about our experiences there and some of the awesome new news to come out of the world’s biggest geekfest. We take you right into the ‘con, too, with an audience participation podcast segment recorded at the Friday night SDCC GWC meetup. And we run down the week in geek, including new Ford mobile audio options and lots more.

Direct Download
Blog Post

So yeah, I tell Scopehound about Storefront in Forza 3 at the end of the cast. What I meant to do was tell Scopehound Hi and let Nightwing know car designs were out there. It was late… my bad.

No problem sir. I have already downloaded a couple of them. Thank you for sharing the awesome design!

I’m playing through ME2 again right now, and Miranda is definitely umm… bigger… than Yvonne. Don’t feel qualified to comment on the rest of that conversation, but I thought I’d comment on that.

Special Thank to Sean for guesting in this week Legends Podcast and for the shameless plug :). The cast is already out and you can find it here : http://legendspodcast.libsyn.com/-55-the-matrix-matrix-arc-
All our archive is there to if you wanna hear Juan on Dr. Horrible or Scott Pilgrim.

And Chuck, we didn’t forget you, our “evil plan” is just not there yet :wink:

Also, if any of you did not believe Sean check out the Battleship trailer, it is totally worth your time : http://collider.com/battleship-trailer-poster/105927/

Until I bought my new car in Feb, I was actually using one of those tape deck adapters to play my iPod on my car stereo. Didn’t even have an Aux port.

We just bought Shootette a 1997 Toyota Camry in July. It has a 6 CD changer in the trunk, but that doesn’t work. And you cannot buy a repalcement anymore. Besides, Shootette only uses her iPod Touch and her iPhone4 to listen to music now. I checked the local Best Buy and saw a few replacement radios with jacks for USBs and/or 3.5 mm audio plugs, but decided against it for now.

So I bought her a windshield cradle for her Touch/iPhone and brought my sony tape converter out of garage storage. So in 2011 Shootette listens to her music from an iPhone4 or iPod Touch through a car tape player. We’ll see how long the car holds together without an accident to see if it merits a new stereo.

~Shooter Out

It sounds like you have the plan well thought out sir. Of course she might surprise you and be very careful with it and value it’s car’ness from the get go :slight_smile:

I enjoyed the castage.

Any Robyn reference always adds +1 to my pod enjoyment.

I’m still befuddled by the Dean Stockwell & Victoria Secrets bra imagery though.

That seriously hurt my Chi :slight_smile:

I guess I was one of the 22% to downgrade my Netflix service, but it wasn’t out of spite. The new pricing actually worked out for me, because I didn’t really use the streaming service much. So from my perspective I went from $16 to $11 for a 2 disc plan.

Regarding product placement I was wondering if anyone else was watching HBO’s Treme about post Katrina New Orleans? For those of you that aren’t familiar with it, it’s run by David Simon, the same guy that produced Homicide: Life on the Streets and The Wire. Anyway, my wife and I were noticing that a lot of Heineken was being drunk on the show and was beginning to wonder if it was the result of a product placement deal. I became convinced of our suspicions in the penultimate episode of the season when one of the characters sees a man in a bar that had brutally raped her previously in the season. When the police arrive she yells at them, “The man that raped me is sitting in that bar drinking a Heineken!” If you have seen those other shows then you know that David Simon is a man with a subversive spirit that likes to speak truth to power. So I can just envision the production meeting when the suits come to him, tell him about the product placement deal, and say all he needs to do is write in the script one place where Heineken is mentioned by name. I guess the message to advertisers is to be careful what you wish for…

I’ve been thinking about going to Comic Con for a long time, but I can never find the time or money to make it happen. I hope I can go someday with my GWC people.

Same here, I can only experience it vicariously through the stories others tell and by watching some of it on various podcasts. T.W.I.T Live gave me a good feel for just how HUGE it is as they walked around and visited different halls and interviewed people and vendors.

Honestly I’m glad I went because it’s not just the sum of the individual parts but the entire enveloping EXPERIENCE of the event that makes it what it is.

However, most important panels are available on youtube or syfy.com for you to check out. What you’ll miss is the comic-con exclusive video in most panels like the premier Terra Nova episode I watched or the Men In Black video we saw in a costuming panel. But the discussion and seeing your favorite actor or production team is still available.

To me the panels are a huge part of SDCC and if you cannot attend for whatever reason and you are reading this post I highly suggest that you take a look at the SDCC schedule and try to find your favorite panels on YouTube or at SyFy.com and check them out. I guarantee that you will find something you like.

~Shooter Out

At https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ev7e0K_1gklNrSA4Kq9wW8RWMD7_q4eU-Y-YMm4NiAk/edit?hl=de I compiled a list of some panels that are posted on Youtube for your viewing pleasure.

Perfect. I was at work when I posted and didn’t have access to this info. Thanks for reposting it!

I never want to go to SDCC. Like Sean, I hate being in crowds that large. However, I LOVE getting the reports from y’all and hearing the excitement, and sharing the nerd-love as you experience it and bring back all sorts of new things for us all to look forward to.

I was going to post some funny stories about my first car but then decided to do a ‘Chuck’… You’ll just have to wait until the meetup to hear them! :smiley:

I think this video sums up the Neflix sadness.

//youtu.be/UgZ_wQPcBEY

“This is quite literally the worst thing that has happened…to White people.”

spleenburst

I need to start taking notes while I listen to the podcast, by the time I get home from work after listening I have forgotten most everything I wanted to post… :slight_smile: