#282: San Diego Comic Con

Oh yeah, I so agree with both parts of this. I would be a mess in crowds like that, but Krom is it fun to hear about.

so almost finished listening to this one and I had some thoughts.

SDCC - Sean I’m so with you on that one, I felt non comfy at the last discworld convention in Birmingham, and there were only 900 people at it, I felt I spent more time runnign around helping set stuff up (I was helping with tech) and running form panel to panel than I did hangign out with my friends, which is, let’s face it. fun though the panels are, what this whole convention experince is about. Sure I’d love to attend, SDCC is, I belvie, the only convention JMS actually attends but more than 100,000 poeople (even geek people) urrgh, agoraphobia seems to set in at that point.

Car stereos, yeah I totally had that tape deck adaptor, also the FM sender too, eventually I got a little sick of being unable to play my off market stuff so I picked up a sony device which does pretty much everything, it takes regular CDs, will play WMAs and mp3 burnt on to a CD (or, for the environment’s sake a CD-RW) has a USB socket and finally, a 3.5mm Jack, I have a small 3.5->3.5 cable which means I can hook anything with a headphone socket straight in to my car stereo, gotta love the aux input.

That’s all for now folks, catch you on the flip side,.
Phaze
on the “We record episode 100 of the gatecast soon, come along and say hi to us” ID

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast 282 quote(s). This poll will be active for 14 days.

I have to admit that I LOVE torchwood and everything connected with it, I love visiting locations on where they film, I like reading the books that come out and I pretty much watch each episode religiously.

As for the tightness of the crew, this is something that John Barrowman has worked hard to achieve because at one point they were considered to be the little brother of Dr Who. He worked hard to make sure that the people that stayed wanted to be there and not say things like ‘Oh, next week I’m working on the Big show’.

Also John Barrowman is an entertainer, in fact his whole family are so it’s been bred into him from a young age, so I can imagine the fun stuff they get up to on set.

On a slightly geeky moment if I may indulge, but I was on holiday in Wales as I regularly do and managed to visit the beach that they filmed on for the first episode of Miracle Day.

It’s in a place called Rhossili Bay

From Wikipedia

Rhossili Bay curves along an arc running northwards from the village. The sandy beach is three miles (5 km) long and is backed with sand dunes. Locals refer to the beach as Llangennith Sands. Behind the beach just north of the village is Rhossili Down with the highest point on the Gower Peninsula, (the Beacon), and a number of prehistoric remains. It is between Rhossili Down and the beach proper that the Warren is found.

At the southern end of the Bay is the small tidal island called the Worm’s Head. At the north is Burry Holms. These islands are accessible at low tide only. Also at low tide, it is possible to see the remains of several shipwrecks, wood from the wreck of the Helvetia being the most prominent when looking north from Rhossili.

Rhossili Bay has been used as the setting of New Earth in the sci-fi show Doctor Who and the bay including the Old Rectory was used in Torchwood: Miracle Day.

Sean/DawnAZ - Took the picture at the top of the cliffs, If you’ve seen the episode then you know what happens on that beach. It is a long steep walk down to the beach and I do mean steep.

It’s near a place called the Mumbles which means Breasts due to the shape of the two islands :). Worm’s Head is called that because I believe it was originally called Wyrm’s Head due to the cliffs forming a shape like a dragon’s head.

Also Audra - worst.welsh.accent.ever :slight_smile:

If you want to see another show that is Welsh based and has Swansea accents, then see if you can watch a BBC comedy called Gavin and Stacey. It’s finished now but you might be able to get it on rental.

P.S - I’m also sure I saw a number plate related to John Barrowman yesterday (J8 Boys), he has a group called the J8’s. Now I might be wrong (and I probably am) as I didn’t get to see inside the car but it just seemed like a bit of a coincidence (I was in the right area and he lives in South Wales, so it could be).

I doubt that I would really enjoy SDCC, it would be nice but I think that if I travelled over to the states, it would be to do with a GWC meetup where I can bring my wife and son and have a better more indepth experience talking about geeky things. That’s the thing that makes this place special, I can find people to talk about old cartoons, dr who, torchwood,etc and my wife can do the same about horror movies, vampires and the stuff that interests her. Don’t know if there are any Disney playhouse geeks out there but I’m sure my 2 year old son could find someone to talk to about Mickey and co.

I’ve been without Internet for about 2 weeks so I’m finally getting caught up on the cast.

Just realized I got a shoutout from Sean. Made my freaking night. Just saying.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Been there. Still makes my day when it happens.

I like how the wrap-up starts 20min before the end of the 'cast. Great : ) yous guys are nuts :smiley:

Yay for Torchwood, SDCC meet-up, BBCA and crazy endings.